Can you do 40 push ups?
Nov 6, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #31 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not very athletic, but I can do 40 standard push-ups with ease. Some of the other physical fitness tests listed earlier are not really indicators of physical fitness; triceps and boobs are actually pretty useless except for looking good, although I agree with pullups. How about leg pressing twice your body weight 10 times or running a 6 minute mile (if you're male)?

I can leg press my weight (90kg) tripled (270kg) 10+ times. 6 minute mile should be too hard either since I do 3000m in a cooper (12 mins).

Easily 60+ pushups.

I used to be overweight (not much, but still), then I just started doing a lot regular exercise (martial arts), ate smart (a lot, but no empty calories), went to the gym about 3 times a week. Once you change your attitude, change happens very fast (especially if you have good genes).

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #32 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can do 3 sets of 50 oO.

But more pertinent tests are:
A. Can you bench your own body weight 10 times and
B. Can you do 20 dips
C. Can you do 15 pull ups?

No
No
No
and as for the pushups, no (unless I can do them on my knees).

Dear God, I'm puny!
frown.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #33 of 132
Nope. I struggle to get to 30.

Really depends if you want the whole 16 inches off the ground, or if 10" cuts it.
It'd also help if I didn't just stuff my belly. =)

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #34 of 132
My max now is 30 but was around 50 two years ago. I gained like 40 lbs after getting married two years ago and will need to get in shape again soon. Luckily my wife has yet to gain a single pound. Maybe I ate all of her meals.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #35 of 132
I just tried one set and succesefully did 127 before I got too tired. Agreed on the running one, I have the endurance of an obese 80 year old, it takes me 7 minutes to get around a mile if I dont want to be puking afterwards xD. Squatting 2x your weight shouldn't be too daunting of a task, but dont own you back with bad form. I can bench 20lbs over my weight (I weigh 145) 3x10 pretty solid when I am climbing and working out regularly. Dips are at about 45 max, and pull ups are at about 20 max. Cheers!
Dave

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #36 of 132
I just tried and... YES I CAN! Barely though. I used to be good at these things. I could do more than a hundred at a certain time and I figured that was quite a lot. So, I checked the world record for push-ups. If you guys think that your ego is slightly too big check the link over here.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #37 of 132
I think this isn't a very good test of health. You can be VERY healthy but have very little strength. A prime example is my friend who ran track in highschool. He set i think 5 records for the school for long distance events. Dude's like a deer, and he eats healthier than anyone i know. Yet he can't bench 100, can only do 7 pullups, and just doesn't have much muscular strength. But his endurance is off the charts.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #39 of 132
I have no idea how many of these various stunts I can do, or even of how much I weigh. It's been years since I checked. I feel and look okay, though, so I try not to worry about the scores
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #40 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enoyin you just sent me sailing down a dismal road haha. How in the world can one do 10507 pushups? I would be shokced if I could ever do 507 non stop....
Dave

I told you to only check the link if your ego needed a little kick in the ****. I actually thought they just made some numbers up at first, but after looking a little further I can tell you that those are the actual records. Very depressing indeed. Did you look at the one-armed ones? Ugh...

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #41 of 132
I was able to do more than 100 pushups... back then when my arms are twice as thicker as they are now.

I am not going to attempt any pushups because of my spinal cord injury.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #42 of 132
132 in the gym yesterday! Huzzah for rugby. Start of the season I could manage round 60, 2 months on about double
beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #44 of 132
20 for me...

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #45 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not very athletic, but I can do 40 standard push-ups with ease. Some of the other physical fitness tests listed earlier are not really indicators of physical fitness; triceps and boobs are actually pretty useless except for looking good, although I agree with pullups. How about leg pressing twice your body weight 10 times or running a 6 minute mile (if you're male)?

i agree with the triceps and boobs being essentially useless. they can be to the averager person.

but leg pressing twice your body weight is certainly no problem for anyone. it shouldnt be at least. think of it this way (not scientific in any way). if you can stand on one leg, then your legs (together) are definitely able to support twice your body weight. 10 reps? should be pretty easy.
6-minute mile.... now thats a different story. there are those who will say that its easy. for me, yeah thats easy but then i run 5-6 miles daily. those who can run will see 6-minutes as easy. everyone else, not really unfortunately. its another thing you really need to work up to, and few people have that kind of motivation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back