Can y'all help me pickout a pair of headphones?
Feb 10, 2011 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Niteflyte

New Head-Fier
What is up peeps.

I am a dancer, and use headphones to dance at the beach, or to workout.  I have been using both Skullcrushers and Koss Porta Pro, but did a little research on reviews, and have found that there's a pretty wide selection of headphones out there.  For example, I read some rave reviews about the Sony MDR V6.

I listen to primarily funk and r&b, but like all kinds of music.

I'm looking to spend 70 bucks or below (primarily because these are for dancing and working out, and I don't want to have TOO valuable of headphones, in case I break them), unless there is a tremendous value to be had in spending a little more.

What would you experts suggest???

Thanks and curious to hear your feedbacks.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 8
I can think of my Equation RP15 (50$ in amazon)

Closed.
clamps hard so it wont fall while you are doing your moves 
biggrin.gif
detachable cord, you can use a shorter one, because it comes with a very lengthy cable.
look nice, if you like orange.
folds, so you can carry it easily.
is very bassy, but the good kind of bass.
the cup dont swivel and it is uncomfortable to wear around the neck, thought you might want to know that.

did I mention they look neat?

400x400px-d5676bef_IMG_0162Small.JPG

http://assets.head-fi.org/2/2d/2d43dcdd_IMG_0159Small.JPG
http://assets.head-fi.org/1/13/138db696_Unit-01b.jpg
http://assets.head-fi.org/2/2d/2d43dcdd_IMG_0159Small.JPG

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks James.

That cord IS long! lol   But looks like a good quality cord, and I like the removeable cord feature, because that is how I broke my last pair of Skullcrushers -  I pulled the cord (apparently), and now there is no sound (by the way, can this be fixed?).

So I'm guessing I'd just need to purchase a shorter 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch cord?

Also, how would you compare the sound quality to the Skullcrushers?

Lastly, in reading reviews, I'm seeing people complain that they are not comfortable, and are too tight.  What say you?

And also, one person said that there is a thin plastic connector, that can break easily, and another two said they shorted out.  Do you think these people were too careless, or don't know what they're talkin about? 

Thanks again!!

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 8

never heard the skullcrushers, I did bought the lowriders, for my brother, they arent SO BAD, but cant say they are near the Equation, The SC are muddy and they dont seal well, at least for me it was a loose fit. trust me you will be noticing quite a difference if you go for the equation, but if course you could look more options.

generally any SC gets trashed here, and for a reason i think.

Quote:
Lastly, in reading reviews, I'm seeing people complain that they are not comfortable, and are too tight.  What say you?

And also, one person said that there is a thin plastic connector, that can break easily, and another two said they shorted out.  Do you think these people were too careless, or don't know what they're talkin about? 

Thanks again!!

Yes is a tight fit, but it loose with use, or leave them in a book overnight, it wasnt bearable when new, they are OK now after 3 months of being my main portable.

The cord they include is not the one in the photos, the included is thick and bulky, seems to be good quality but too damn long to carry, that is why i use the one in the photo. Is a solid built, they dont feel like cheap plastic, and the orange paint wont peel, a guy told me here it is car's painting. I dont actually carry them like babies, i treat them normal and never had a problem or doubt about the buld quality. so i dont k now.

and if the cord ever gets short, just get a new one, but it has to be a 3.5 mm (headphone) to 3.5 mm (player) that is both 1/8, not 1/4. the part where you connect the cable to the cans is recessed, i use a cable that said "for ipod" since they fit well, still 1/8 but the housing is smaller.

and yes you can fix your skull crushers, but you need to solder to change the cable.

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 8
James thanks so much for all that info!!!!

That is a HUGE help.

I was going back and forth between these and the MDR V6, but considering that these are a good 30 bucks less, I'm leaning towards these.   Do you have any comments on a comparison between those two?  I personally don't know much about the different brands of headphones.  Don't get me wrong though, I have produced music, and did vocals in the past, so my ears are definitely attentive to quality.........................    but in the past I would use AKGs and call it a day.

Do you have a link to the cord you bought?  This is a major concern, because I'm definitely going to need a different cord then some long 10 foot one, and if regular 3.5 cords won't work, then that concerns me.

Thanks again!

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 8
Feb 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks again.

I found a number of posts by Joker on the V6, and am still reading through them....

At this point, I think I will try the Equation.  Even with having to buy a separate cord, they are cheaper, and they DO seem like they will stay in place much better than the V6.  Not sure if the V6 would stay in place.

In reading through these posts, I see how much I DON'T know, in regards to headphones.  I've done a ton of reading already, and I still feel like a complete noob.

I like the look of the Equations, but I usually like my headphones all black....   so I will probably paint the outside of these, so they don't clash with what I'm wearing.

I will report back, once I have them.

Thanks again James!!

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 8
Audition the V6 first if possible for you might not like the Sony sound. 

My two cents: Sennheiser PX200 II... It is a very convenient allround headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back