Can we PLEASE enable embedding soundcloud music?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2014 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MedicalPartisan

New Head-Fier
We are all hear to share our love for music and what better way to do that then to take advantage of one of the biggest music sharing sites on the net? 

Pretty please? [soundcloud]
L3000.gif
[/soundcloud]

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 12
Very much agree... Lot of unsigned bands on Soundcloud, and the SQ seems to be better (never formally tested it, just an impression) than YouTube. Soundcloud on Head-Fi just makes sense to me. 

YMMV.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 12
  Very much agree... Lot of unsigned bands on Soundcloud, and the SQ seems to be better (never formally tested it, just an impression) than YouTube. Soundcloud on Head-Fi just makes sense to me. 

YMMV.

Youtube is better quality, it's ~192 kbps AAC versus 128 kbps mp3 on soundcloud. For me as an owner of hardstyle music youtube channel I also hear the differences and that's the reason I never started focusing on soundcloud (for example for mixes). That obviously doesn't mean that every1 knows how to get the ideal quality of uploaded vids on youtube but assuming you know how then Youtube will be better.

Me for example use AVI/Xvid with attached wav files (using "stream copy" in virtualdub to avoid encoding) for best possible audio quality on youtube.

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 12
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!

And I'd still love Soundcloud embedding :wink:

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 12

Youtube is better quality, it's ~192 kbps AAC versus 128 kbps mp3 on soundcloud. For me as an owner of hardstyle music youtube channel I also hear the differences and that's the reason I never started focusing on soundcloud (for example for mixes). That obviously doesn't mean that every1 knows how to get the ideal quality of uploaded vids on youtube but assuming you know how then Youtube will be better.

Me for example use AVI/Xvid with attached wav files (using "stream copy" in virtualdub to avoid encoding) for best possible audio quality on youtube.

YouTube is generally NOT better quality.

YouTube is only 192 kbps IF the video is HD.  On SD videos it's at most 128 kbps.  Music is rarely uploaded in HD, especially if it's a static picture or fan made video rather than an official video.

Also, and this is the big one, most YouTube videos are transcoded.  They take whatever audio stream is on the video when it's uploaded and recompress it.  Trancoding is one of the worst things you can do for sound quality.

Maybe your YouTube videos, if you upload in HD without transcoding, are high quality, but the vast majority of YouTube videos are not.

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 12

YouTube is generally NOT better quality.

YouTube is only 192 kbps IF the video is HD.  On SD videos it's at most 128 kbps.  Music is rarely uploaded in HD, especially if it's a static picture or fan made video rather than an official video.

Also, and this is the big one, most YouTube videos are transcoded.  They take whatever audio stream is on the video when it's uploaded and recompress it.  Trancoding is one of the worst things you can do for sound quality.

Maybe your YouTube videos, if you upload in HD without transcoding, are high quality, but the vast majority of YouTube videos are not.

1. Yes it is, YouTube is 192 kbps AAC in HD, even in SD it's still 128 kbps AAC, beating Soundcloud that is 128 kbps MP3.  AAC 128 kbps compares favorably to 128 kbps MP3.

2. Pretty much all channels I watch (EDM music mostly) upload HD 720p+ (I would be disappointed to find a non-HD channel these days) but then again I only listen to new electronic music.

3. Not worse than Soundcloud which transcodes or recompresses into 128 kbps MP3 for playback. (Source, point 1: http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/topics/109407-uploading-transcoding/articles)

4. You can find HD quality for most music today, at least on some channels. Maybe if you're into older and less popular music it could be harder but majority of people listen to popular music.

Let's take an example:
https://soundcloud.com/datweekaz/da-tweekaz-ft-anklebreaker
vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js97DYVuNmc&hd=1

Having said all that, I still want to see soundcloud embedding on head-fi. :p But don't try to argue with soundcloud vs youtube quality, it's pointless. On the other hand Soundcloud is pretty convenient to use/listen through, less bandwidth is wasted and you can upload stuff faster as you only need the audio file.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Some other forums I regularly use have already embedded soundcloud for quite a while now using same tag as when integrating for example youtube.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Looks like we're all in agreement, it's a great idea!! Sooo..... Anybody wanna make this happen? 
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back