Can u drive the senns 650 with a portable amp?
May 21, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #31 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsjustwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats wa6 mean

It means to me, that he really doesnt have a reason to go lookin at the GS-1 but to each his own.

WooAudio6 - Single-ended Triode Class-A Tube Headphone Amplifier, Output Transformer Coupled

The WA6 is super nice for the 650, and you can tube roll.

wink.gif

May 21, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #36 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you make it seem like portables can't drive the 650's period.

enter the Vivid V1

vividaudiotech.com - Headphone Amplifiers

- High power operational amplifier
- Voltage boost technology (This boosts the amplifier supply voltage higher than the battery voltage)
- Precision virtual ground reference
- USB DAC (16-bit; 32, 44.1, 48 kHz)

I see they conveniently omit the power output. I'm sure they know what it is, but decided that the number wouldn't exactly sell much product.

The "voltage boost technology" is nothing special and absolutely nothing new. It is probably a voltage multiplier of some kind, but they wanted to give it a different name to make it sound like they came up with something unique. You can also use transformers to increase the voltage, but I doubt it has those inside.

The rub with devices that increase voltage is that doing so will decrease the amps. A battery only has a limited amount of power. You can increase the volts while taking away the amps, and have a small net loss from running it through that circuit. You can't create energy that isn't there to begin with. A typical circuit in a house will give you 15A or 20A of current at 120V.

In contrast, a 9V gives you, well, 9V of power and between 500-800mA of current. If you want to step up the voltage, then you're going to take a big hit on the current and there won't be much left to play with.

If you're using a transformer to step up 120V to 350V off a socket in your house and the amp wants 1.5A of power to do that, well, no problem. You'll probably still have enough amps left over to run a washing machine.

Sure, portables can make headphones louder, but the quality of the sound is not as good as something pulling lots of power. Lots of power gives you the headroom you need, allows for class A operation, and the amp will not sag when you hit the big transients.

Another angle is heat. Suppose, hypothetically, you got a portable amp to deliver 1W and run in class A. One of those tiny boxes would get hot. Really hot. Too hot to hold in your hand and too hot to comfortably carry in your pocket. Further, cramming that much heat into a tiny box would likely get it to cook itself off within a few weeks of use.

If you want power and the corresponding heat, you need a big, heavy case with appropriate ventilation, heatsinks and room to breathe.

I know portables have a devoted following, but you cannot substitute them for a full-sized amp that plugs into the wall. Physically, electrically and sonically, portables are compromised.

May 21, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #37 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsjustwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats the difference between the xp and standard versions???

standard and XP versions are exactly the same except for size and the run-time; the XP (expedition) runs for more than 50hrs in a charge, while the standard runs for around 8hrs. they sound identical (I have both) the XP is reasonably ;large and would be considered more of a transportable amp; which is exactly how I use it, I use it when going away for a short holiday or overnight business trip when I dont want to bring the power supply LLP (lisa lab power) which incidentally provides a good amount of extra drive when using it at home. still doesnt do quite the same job as a really nice home amp like the WA6 or beta22, but a fine job all the same IMO.

May 21, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #38 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see they conveniently omit the power output. I'm sure they know what it is, but decided that the number wouldn't exactly sell much product.

Found in Headphoneaddict's the review of the Vivid V1:
Here is the claimed power output of the V1 (using 1KHz tone, no THD specified) vs the Firestone Cute Beyond.

600 ohm - 50mW
300 ohm - 100mW
200 ohm - 150mW
100 ohm - 200mW
32 ohm - 780mW
16 ohm - 1.5W

Cute Beyond published power output:

600 ohm - 60mw (AKG K240M = 106 db)
300 ohm - 120mw (HD600 = 118 db)
120 ohm - 300mw (AKG501 = 119 db)
75 ohm - 480mw (AKG 270S = 119 db)
32 ohm - 320mw (Grado SR60/80 = 121 db)

I don't know if the Vivid V1 would be ok with a HD650 as a low budget portable solution. I personally am on the go a lot, and the portability is very important to me. Also, I don't have technical know how to build a DIY amp, or the financial resources to buy something more expensive. Bought it used for around $70, and I am really happy with the sound I get from the Vivid V1 with my HD600. It also pairs very well with my K271 giving them a great sound, with plenty of bass. For me it was a perfect solution.

May 21, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #39 of 103
ignore the elitists.

senn hd650 is NOT hard to 'drive'. urban myth setup by those that 'pray' to sennheiser.

its an OK set of phones (I have them) and they are NOT hard to drive with even a simple pimeta.

just not hard at all. its not rocket science and its not 'difficult' to build an amp that powers the 650 JUST FINE.

stop trying to make everything harder than it has to be
wink.gif
its JUST audio, folks
wink.gif
wink.gif

May 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #40 of 103
If you think they're an "ok" set of headphones, it's because you haven't heard them properly driven. They can be spectacular headphones.

May 21, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #41 of 103
I've listened to my HD600's a grand total of once with my D10. That was to reply to a D10/Compass comparison with HD600's, on a different thread.

It only took a couple minutes to determine that the stock D10 cannot properly drive these cans. Besides sounding better, the comparable volumes are 9:00 for the Compass and 3:00 for the D10.

I also found that the difference between the two amps decreases using my PK-1's (the only time I've listened to my Compass with PK-1's).

They are two different animals and can not be compared directly. The PK-1/D10 combo a great portable/work setup. The HD600/Compass is a great home setup.

While I'm at it, my iriver's optical out beats anything my compter can deliver and makes the PK-1 sing with the D10.

May 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #42 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think they're an "ok" set of headphones, it's because you haven't heard them properly driven. They can be spectacular headphones.

nice try, but no cigar.

I own (and built) a b22 as well as many other serious amps.

care to try again to invalidate my opinion on this subject?

this hobby is filled with FAR more hype than actual science.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #43 of 103
I have a HD650, I had the Slee Solo amp and (still) have the Ibasso P2, I prefered the P2 (a portable amp) with the HD 650, the sound stage didnt quite have the width of of the Solo and it wasn't as open, but for my ears the P2 sounded more dynamic and more natural with HD 650, to me the Solo wasn't worth the extra outlay.

In the future i would like to try a Home amp with the HD 650, maybe tubed.

Always a bit worried about ordering one from China or the States and really being hit by import tax or it going wrong.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #44 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice try, but no cigar.

I own (and built) a b22 as well as many other serious amps.

care to try again to invalidate my opinion on this subject?

this hobby is filled with FAR more hype than actual science.

DIY 650's????? OMG, if I had a dime for every time,,,,,
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #45 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He is using an HD580 that has 650 drivers he installed and then commenting on the 650's, They are "OK". What

Users who are viewing this thread

Back