Can to compliment my HFI 780s? Beyers or Senns?
Jun 15, 2010 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

clou91

100+ Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of HFI 780s for semi portable use (on the plane, road trips, school library, etc), and am interested in purchasing a second set of headphones for home use. I've been reading impression threads for the last two days, but have been unable to come to any conclusions. I love my 780s for what they are, but would like something that is a bit more comfortable and less fatiguing for longer listening sessions at home. I'm particularly interested in open headphones as the only pair of open headphones I've owned are porta pros.

The genres that I listen to mainly are hip hop, rap, r&b, acoustic, country, and electronic. Until I upgrade my computer rig, my source is going to be an S:Flo2 with a line out to an Alo RX (both are on the way). I've heard the Alo RX is fairly adequate for driving full size headphones, and I feel I can make due until I have the funds to purchase a dedicated DAC and amp. I also have access to an Onkyo SR706 receiver with a decent headphone out.  

If possible, I'd like to find a pair of phones with tamer highs and a more laid back presentation (compared to the 780s). The headphones I have been considering thus far are the DT 990/880 600 ohm, HD 650, and possibly the AD 900s (I kind of liked my brother's AD 700s, but felt they lacked overall detail and bass). I was originally considering SR 225is or MS1is, but have heard they lack comfort.

I'm pretty torn atm between the Beyers and Senns. I plan to eventually purchase an Audinst MX1 and a Matrix M Stage for my computer rig and am under the impression that the Senns will scale better than the Beyers. However, the Beyers are said to produce a "fun" sound signature, and their sound stage is favorable for gaming (although gaming is not a priority, this would be a bonus). Moreover, the Beyers are considerably cheaper than the Senns and many assert that the Beyers are unbeatable in the comfort department. 

So I guess the question is, for my purposes, will the Beyers be adequate or does the higher resolution of the Senns trump the Beyers in the SQ/musicality departments?

Feel free to suggest any other headphones that I have missed, but keep in mind that I'd like to stay within the $350 USD (incl shipping) and under price range and that I also prefer to buy headphones brand new. I should also note that I live pretty close to the border and have a U.S. shipping address.

TIA, and sorry for the long winded post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back