Can the M-Audio Q40s compete with upper mid-fi cans (HD595, DT770, A900)?
Jul 26, 2008 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RipcordAFF

Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

I recently decided to purchase a good pair (of my own standards, not some of the craziness espoused on this board!
biggrin.gif
) of cans for private listening of music. Most of my attention has been focused on the HD595, DT770 and ATH-A900. I have read threads for hours seemingly and each has its own potential shortcomings that make the other two seem more attractive...its a vicous cycle.

Anyways, throughout my research I read a reference to the M-Audio Q40s and a particular review (By Warrior I believe) made them out to be quite amazing. He in particular I believe said that they blew away the DT770 (the only can I have heard in person--which I though sounded pretty darn good).

However, the Q40s seem to mentioned in passing around here, without too much of a following and most of all, as a real competitor around the $100 dollar range. I am willing to spend a little more than that (with a max of around $200).

My question is how good are the Q40s in comparison to the big three of the upper mid-fi range (Senn HD595, DT770, and A900). There seems to be no real comparison between them, but if I were to go off of warrior's review, it seems that the Q40 corrects alot of the DT770's problems (perhaps boomy bass and recessed mids) and falls only a little flat on the upper ranges (which isn't SO bad for me as I have been known to be a sensitive to sibilance).

Anyone have any idea or comparison's been the Q40s and that range? Or am I just being crazy assuming it can compete with cans of that caliber.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 10
I love mine. I have no problem telling people they need a pair in their collection
smily_headphones1.gif

I havent heard the 770 or 900, so i dont know.

Good as anything in my profile though, depending on peoples tastes in phones.

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 10
I'd venture to guess the Q40 matches up well with the other three cans. Those three all have glaring weaknesses, while from what I've read the Q40 has none. That's not to say they're better those the other three in every way possible. It's just better balanced and perhaps more versatile than the others.

As to why it's not popular -- who knows? People just didn't catch the FOTM fever. What gets "hot" around here is usually stirred by a lot of hype and comparisons. I guess the people who did pick them up either didn't hype it to the moon or make thorough comparisons with similar cans to "stir the pot" so to speak. Also, similar headphones in the sub-100 closed category like the RP21 and Denon D1000/1 preceded it. I guess the Q40 didn't appear to be a big enough upgrade or interesting enough "sidegrade" to justify another purchase for those who bought the RP21 or D1000/1.

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 10
For some reason I can't quote...But I was trying to quote what incognito said above

that each of the other three cans each have a major weakness that gets tossed around alot and thats what maybe kept me squarly between them and further from a final decision...But everything from the Q40 owners seems to point towards teh fact that it quite good in most areas has no main weakness...I suppose for $100 I can't go wrong eh?

biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 10
The only one I can comment on are the DT770s. Personally, I prefer the bass on the Q40s - runs a bit deeper and a tad more prominent. The mids are more present and warm with the M-Audios and I feel are where they really outshine the 770s. The highs are a bit more extended with the Beyers. I think that is the Q40s only short-coming, the highs are a tad too rolled off. Not much, mind you but even I (who is sensitive to treble and treble harshness) wish there was a bit more. Still in all, I would favor the Q40s over the 770s which can be had for a little more than half the price. Quite the bargain in my book.
cool.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only one I can comment on are the DT770s. Personally, I prefer the bass on the Q40s - runs a bit deeper and a tad more prominent. The mids are more present and warm with the M-Audios and I feel are where they really outshine the 770s. The highs are a bit more extended with the Beyers. I think that is the Q40s only short-coming, the highs are a tad too rolled off. Not much, mind you but even I (who is sensitive to treble and treble harshness) wish there was a bit more. Still in all, I would favor the Q40s over the 770s which can be had for a little more than half the price. Quite the bargain in my book.
cool.gif

Warrior, thanks for the insight...a little worrying about the highs..hopefully I wont be too distracted by it...Anyways, how do they actually fit comfort wise? It seems from the pictures that the ear cup is quite a bit smaller than the 770 and maybe wont go totally around your ear (I believe its circum-aural, but I'm not sure), but rather on it. Could you comment on that or is it just deceiving pictures..

Thanks!!

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RipcordAFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warrior, thanks for the insight...a little worrying about the highs..hopefully I wont be too distracted by it...Anyways, how do they actually fit comfort wise? It seems from the pictures that the ear cup is quite a bit smaller than the 770 and maybe wont go totally around your ear (I believe its circum-aural, but I'm not sure), but rather on it. Could you comment on that or is it just deceiving pictures..

Thanks!!

Circumference is the same which is why you can fit Beyer pads on the Q40s. The pads themselves, however, are not as thick. There is a bit of head clamp and depending how wide your head is, it may be uncomfortable. This can be rectified by bending open the headband. There are two metal bands inside the headband the provide the clamp.

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 10
I love my Q40's, but am of only limited head-fi experience. I've only heard the SR-60, Bose Triport, CX-300 and a few budget Senn's and Sony in the $30 (obtainable price, not MSRP) and under range.

That said the Q40's are by FAR the greatest things I've ever heard.
biggrin.gif

Right out of the box I immediately noticed they were way above the rest. The bass is very powerful, which I wanted. Yet, this bass doesn't drown out the rest of the music AT ALL. As I listen to the bass I'll think "man, this bass is awesome, but is it so powerful that it's gonna cover up other parts of the song and drown it out?" and I'll have an immediate answer - that it does not. You can hear faint details in music with utter clarity that you've never heard before. You hear headphones with "clarity" described like that often, such as with the SR-60, but this the first time I *really* noticed it.

As far as comfort, they feel great for 2 to 3 hours, after that I may feel the need to take a break from them, but even then it's not terribly uncomfortable. The pads are pretty thin as warrior said, and I am wondering how they'll hold up long term. Guess I'll find out.

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 10
The Q40, which I have tried, is very good value for the price but compared to my AD-700's (which are similiar to the A-900's) is doens;'t beat it SQ wise. Still, the Q40 is very good value for money but needs to be amped IMO for full experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back