Can the HD650 do bass like closed headphones?
Mar 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

bassophile

100+ Head-Fier
I will attempt to create this thread again, since the last one detoured, got messy, and the mods deleted it!!

Anyway, the HD650 is known as a bassy open backed headphone, but can it match the bass quantity and impact of an 'averagely bassy' closed backed model?

(By 'averagely bassy' I mean something like the 'new' version of the Audio Technica M50. Not something that is purposely tuned for sub-bass thumping and nothing else like the Sony XB series.)

Thanks in advance for responses!!

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 36
Simple answer is no. With the right rig behind it, it can measure up pretty well with sub 700$ "bassy" headphones but I've never found them to outperform a good closed-back. The extension, weight, and punch just isn't there.

Also, my thoughts on the HD 650 is not a "bassy" headphone. If you asked a seasoned basshead if the Sennheiser HD 650 was a true basshead headphone they would laugh in your face. It just isn't meant to be in that category. No, I'm not saying the HD 650 doesn't do bass well, but it just doesn't have that extension or power that makes it a premier "bassy" headphone. Honestly, the HD 650 has always been known for a smooth signature that makes anything you throw at it sound musical and euphoric. I think that statement stands true, and any way you slice it.. that doesn't equate "bassy" whatsoever.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 36
Can it? I'am almost sure it can, but you'll need to do some serious EQing.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:
I will attempt to create this thread again, since the last one detoured, got messy, and the mods deleted it!!

Anyway, the HD650 is known as a bassy open backed headphone, but can it match the bass quantity and impact of an 'averagely bassy' closed backed model?

(By 'averagely bassy' I mean something like the 'new' version of the Audio Technica M50. Not something that is purposely tuned for sub-bass thumping and nothing else like the Sony XB series.)

Thanks in advance for responses!!

Heya,

No.

And the HD650 is not a bassy headphone. It's simply warm, and has dark treble. Not bassy.

You can equalize it, and any headphone for that matter, to be bassy.

If you want bassy open back models, look to the Beyer DT990 PRO and Ultrasone PRO 2900.

Very best,

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 36
Hey guys, thanks for your responses.

I'm not talking extreeeeme bassy closed back headphones, just moderately bassy closed backs like the 'new' Audio Technica M50... - the HD650 can't even match that?

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for your responses.

I'm not talking extreeeeme bassy closed back headphones, just moderately bassy closed backs like the 'new' Audio Technica M50... - the HD650 can't even match that?

Not really, since the benefits of being a closed back allow the M50's bass to have more weight and impact than the hd650 will be able to get.  The quality and the control of the bass is a little better with the hd650, so complex and speedy drums will sound a little better on them, but you won't get that slam that most bassheads seem to crave.  

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 36
In reasonably quiet environment EQed HD650 should easily match casual closed unEQed HPs (which I personally wouldn't even call bassy, lol,), but you will certainly lose great amount of clarity on them..

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:
In reasonably quiet environment EQed HD650 should easily match casual closed unEQed HPs (which I personally wouldn't even call bassy, lol,), but you will certainly lose great amount of clarity on them..

Can't any headphone change its sound signature with EQ?

If you EQ enough bass into a K701, that will start sounding bassy too, won't it?

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Can't any headphone change its sound signature with EQ?

If you EQ enough bass into a K701, that will start sounding bassy too, won't it?

Who said it can't? 
cool.gif

Practically, you can make any decent neutral HP sound warm (unEQed closed cans). It's just that you can EQ closed HP way futher, with a bit of playing around you can make many of them really bass heavy without sounding too muddy. Mine current tweaked setup has most probably more bass than stock XB500s. 
 On the other hand, it's much harder and often impossible to make warm HP sound neutral (without headaches and distortions).
And what OP question was, surely, you could EQ HD650 to stock casual closed-back. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #11 of 36
EQ'ing is definitely an option, but I wouldn't expect the results to be the same overall HD 650 house sound with just more bass. Even though EQ'ing is a great tool, I don't use it to often because most headphones that I have tried don't respond well to it. The overall sound becomes muddied or distorted, highs become to shrill, detail becomes less precise, and the soundstage narrows. I'd say if you want a "bassy' headphone that is open, just buy one.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #12 of 36
MOST HP's benefit from EQ (of course we are talking about non-neutral sound as you can't improve much neutrality of already neutral headphones 
etysmile.gif

It purely depends on your EQ used and HOW you use it (it's not actually as easy as 2+2).

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:
EQ'ing is definitely an option, but I wouldn't expect the results to be the same overall HD 650 house sound with just more bass. Even though EQ'ing is a great tool, I don't use it to often because most headphones that I have tried don't respond well to it. The overall sound becomes muddied or distorted, highs become to shrill, detail becomes less precise, and the soundstage narrows. I'd say if you want a "bassy' headphone that is open, just buy one.

Cheers for your thoughts.

But people do say that the HD650 is a bassy open backed 'phone, don't they?

Certainly, it is bassier than other open backed headphones in its league like the DT880 (2005), isn't it?

Also I've heard it said here (on Head-Fi) that the HD650 is more bassy than the DT990...?

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #14 of 36
It was all the talk of people saying that HD650 is a bassy open headphone that had me thinking it'd be the ultimate headphone for me.  Unfortunately it doesn't have much bass at all.  It has a decent (sorta bloated) mid-bass that doesn't hit really hard, and it doesn't go down real low.  DT990 is bassier, it has more mid-bass punch and goes down a little lower.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Cheers for your thoughts.

But people do say that the HD650 is a bassy open backed 'phone, don't they?

Certainly, it is bassier than other open backed headphones in its league like the DT880 (2005), isn't it?

Also I've heard it said here (on Head-Fi) that the HD650 is more bassy than the DT990...?

Yea I wouldn't ever describe the HD650 as a "bassy" open headphone. There are many other open or semi-open headphones that have stronger bass and more extension. Like I said, they are simply a warm sound headphone, and IMO the strength of the HD 650 is its versatile nature with almost anything you throw at it. There are plenty of better "bassy" options such as DT 990, HE-400, and Pro 2900.

I would question the ears of those that think the HD650 has more bass than the DT990. To my ears, they lacked the extension and punch of the DT990. Pro and cons to both, but as far as bass goes DT990 is pretty darn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back