Can the Buffalo DAC compete with Hi-End DACs?
Aug 20, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 32
I think for memory The Monkey has.
Can't remember where I read that thou.

Aug 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to NaamanF's Buffalo32 against my Electrocompaniet ECD-1, and I thought it was so good that I sold the Electro.

I couldn't build my own, however, so I bought a Peachtree Nova. The DAC portion alone sounds better than my Electrocompaniet. More resolving, more detailed, and more engaging. I'm a big fan of ESS stuff.

Thanks.. this is the kind of comparison I was looking for..
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Quote:

No, alas, it's a 9006 chip and a proprietary implementation. It borrows a few elements from Scott Nixon designs, since it adapts the Decco's DAC section somewhat.

I never had the Nova and the Buffalo32 in front of me at the same time, so I can't reliably compare the two. My memory comparison is very favorable, however.

What? So the Nova is better than the Electrocompaniet ECD-1?

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

I've listened to NaamanF's Buffalo32 against my Electrocompaniet ECD-1, and I thought it was so good that I sold the Electro.

Finally, a reference point for comparison. Gracias.

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? So the Nova is better than the Electrocompaniet ECD-1?

To my ears, absolutely. The ECD-1 is no slouch, either. They both go for about $1k used, but you get a line preamp, amp, and respectable headamp for that price in the Nova.

Aug 21, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #21 of 32
My Buffalo32s sounds more natural than my uncles McIntosh MDA1000. He helped me build the B22 and Buffalo32 and he was floored by the quality of this DIY. He believes as well that the Buffalo32s is a truly outstanding D/A especially for the price it is unreal. DIY is awesome! I could never afford the stuff my uncle does and I dont have to!

EDIT: This is not to trash the McIntosh as it is a phenomenal gear and truly wonderful.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #22 of 32
...uses the "highly advanced ESS Technology ES9008 SABRE D-to-A processor".... This is the only dac I know of that is a complete for sale dac using one of these chips. The buffalo is a DIY component and the Nova is a multi-use affair.

I have read a lot of comments that amount to "it sounded pretty good" by people who have heard it at Canjam, but I am surprised that no one has (to my knowledge) offered any direct comparisons or complete reviews. It's been out for a while and Headroom is pretty popular in this forum.

I keep hoping to read more about it.

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #24 of 32
I'm interested in the Buffalo DAC, too. I'm thinking seriously about building a DAC, and the Buffalo is on my shortlist with the RAKK DAC over at K&K. If anyone has any comparisons or reviews with high end DIY DACs, I'd love to hear them. Not to threadjack - any impressions of the Buffalo (and thanks, Sherwood!) would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 32
If you're thinking of building one, Erik, I'd definitely recommend it. It's not a romantic source, in that I didn't detect anything deliberately smoothing the frequency range range at the extremes, i.e. Wadia. I understand that digital/analog conversion could produce unseemly artifacts and tonalities in the high frequencies, so some designers rolled them off -- not the case here. Wonderful treble extension, free and clear sounding, without a hint of digititis.

I could certainly imagine that some people might prefer the sound and presentation of other high-end sources, but I can't imagine anyone saying the Buffalo is anything other than clear and resolving. You have a thoroughly excellent collection of equipment there, so I can only imagine you'd enjoy it.

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #28 of 32
You'd have to find a builder.
TPA is kit only.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #29 of 32
There's one in European voltage on Audiogon right now for $1500 -- same unit was sold here recently for around $1100, though. In any case, not appreciably cheaper than either of the less-expensive commercial ESS implementations.

Pearljam, if you want one assembled, you either need to contract a DIY builder, or buy a used one.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to buy them built and not as a kit?and if so what is the price for a built unit?

My current B32s was ~1,500$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back