Can the Buffalo DAC compete with Hi-End DACs?
Aug 20, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 32
I heard it in tk3's home while I was auditioning his o2/ges combo, It sounded ok, it was very difficult to listen because his room conditions were a bit noisy (computer fan sounded like a jet plane). I would love to do some comparisons with my dacs, maybe i contact him for this... but thats all I can say about it now. Another thing is that I have always been skeptical of usb as digital link (asynchronous or not) since I first heard the dac1 through usb, spidf sounded much better... I wish that his buffalo had firewire or spidf, however im open to be surprised...

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 32
What you talking about? The Buffalo Sabre32 is a high end DAC. It's the same as saying is a Beta22 a high end amplifier.

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 32
What John said.
To all intents and purposes it is high-end.

Aug 20, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 32
The McIntosh MCD500 uses an ESS ES9018 chip. $6500 MSRP.
Is that high end enough for you
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 32
@@

How bout no.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

common!
confused.gif
mad.gif
chips dont make a dac high end, its the hardware and software implementation that set apart the kids from the grownups. You cannot simply talk about a dac in regards to a chip!

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

tongue.gif

The question was: is it better than Buffalo DAC?

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

What you talking about? The Buffalo Sabre32 is a high end DAC. It's the same as saying is a Beta22 a high end amplifier.

Not saying anything John.. I wouldn't have posted it in a "high end forum" if I don't think it's a high-end product.
biggrin.gif

now, a real comparison by people who has heard it? The closest I get is johnwmclean saying his Cambridge 840C lost the battle to the Buffalo..
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
common!
confused.gif
mad.gif
chips dont make a dac high end, its the hardware and software implementation that set apart the kids from the grownups. You cannot simply talk about a dac in regards to a chip!

ting.mikes question being does the buffalo compete with high end dacs, I thought it would be relevant to mention that a high end company has enough faith to utilize the same chip in one of their high end models. Of course I realize this is only a part of the implementation as you've mentioned.

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

ting.mikes question being does the buffalo compete with high end dacs, I thought it would be relevant to mention that a high end company has enough faith to utilize the same chip in one of their high end models. Of course I realize this is only a part of the implementation as you've mentioned.

Guy is right in this case. Chip is a rather small part of the equation. As is price. $6500 for a DAC doesn't mean anything to me, and it shouldn't mean anything to you either. That said, the ESS chips have pretty awesome specs, so they're probably high end chips.

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 32
I've listened to NaamanF's Buffalo32 against my Electrocompaniet ECD-1, and I thought it was so good that I sold the Electro.

I couldn't build my own, however, so I bought a Peachtree Nova. The DAC portion alone sounds better than my Electrocompaniet. More resolving, more detailed, and more engaging. I'm a big fan of ESS stuff.

Aug 20, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 32
No, alas, it's a 9006 chip and a proprietary implementation. It borrows a few elements from Scott Nixon designs, since it adapts the Decco's DAC section somewhat.

I never had the Nova and the Buffalo32 in front of me at the same time, so I can't reliably compare the two. My memory comparison is very favorable, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back