Can speakers located near a fridge have any effect magnetetic distortion effect?
Aug 30, 2010 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

midnightfox

New Head-Fier
I plan on getting the Audioengine 5 in the coming weeks as they will be perfect setup for my home theatre pc as its in a real confined space and I can't fit a sub. I'm tired of hearing the drained sounds from the TV speakers. My only concern is it will be located very close to the fridge and I'm curios if it would have any effect with the magnetic field.

Has anyone had any issues with speakers located beside a fridge ?
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 13
That a little hard to say,  the fridges motor usually generate a large and strong magnetic field and it might be possilbe that this would affect the sound,another issue would be the EMI/RFI emited by the fridge this would be the most serious concern IMO as this could cause hisses and noise in your speakers. If you have any external speakers try putting them close to the fridge and see if you notice anything.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 13
The AudioEngine A5 has magnetic shielding around the drivers so that will help.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
I plan on getting the Audioengine 5 in the coming weeks as they will be perfect setup for my home theatre pc as its in a real confined space and I can't fit a sub. I'm tired of hearing the drained sounds from the TV speakers. My only concern is it will be located very close to the fridge and I'm curios if it would have any effect with the magnetic field.

Has anyone had any issues with speakers located beside a fridge ?
user_online.gif
progress.gif

You setting up your HT in the Kitchen.
wink_face.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 13
Yes, a fridge kicks out a lot of electrical noise, but the speakers might be OK if they're shielded. However, have you thought about using brackets to mount the speakers on the ceiling? I'll bet you have some spare room there. You can find flat speaker cables in various colors and sometimes paintable to make wires running up the wall less noticeable without having to run them inside the walls.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 13
I have thought about using brackets and mounting them but I do prefer to have the speakers at ear hight. Hopefully they have enough magnetic shielding to prevent any electrical noise. I shall report back soon in regards to the outcome but for now I might try check out other speakers I have before I go and fork out the cash.

Cheers,

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 13
I should point out the obvious, the fridge is almost never on.
When it is on it pumps out a lot of em, but rarely on.

If you are watching a movie, just turn your fridge off (don't open the fridge until back on).

problem solved.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 13
I am assuming your speakers will be off the floor 3 feet or so. If this is the case you should be ok...the compressor motors aren't as big as they used to be, unless this fridge is 20+ yrs old. You may get more interference via the speaker wires than the mag field interfering with the speakers themselves. Good luck!

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Provided the speakers are shielded, you should be okay, but another problem that folks tend to ignore is power isolation.  Make sure you use a power outlet that is independent of any appliances running with an initial surge amperage, (i.e. refrigerators, Air Conditioners, etc...) For about a half a second they'll suck the juice down on the circuit and you'll almost always hear it during music playback. If it's not a problem now...it probably will be in the future. As these appliances get older they tend to surge more when they kick on.  Some electronics will eventually become damaged during prolonged exposure to unstable power so you'll likely want to invest in a good robust power conditioner or UPS if no other outlet is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back