Can someone tell me the difference between K7XX Massdrop Edition vs. K712?
Feb 11, 2015 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

cuiter23

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I know its too late to pick up the K7XX Massdrop anymore but I do have the intention of picking up a K712. 

I read that the K7XX Massdrop edition is essentially a K702 with 3db of bass boost. However, the K712 box also shows 3db of bass boost and from what I have heard the K712 is the same thing as the K702 65th edition.

So my question would be are there any technical differences between the two? This may help me decide whether to wait for another K7XX drop or just go ahead with the K712s. The K712's are $300 more than the K7XX Massdrop that would lead me to assume that the K712s at least somewhat more sonically competent than the K7XX Massdrop editions. I tried to search comparisons between these two without much luck. Therefore, I am wondering if anyone can assist me in helping me explain the difference between these two.

I am quite new to the world of full-size headphones so please excuse my ignorance. Any help would be greatly appreciated here! 

Thanks for reading :)

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 29
I too would be curious to know. I've read through Mad Lust Envy's whole review, and unfortunately, no mention of K7XX's. Also, as you said, no head-to-head comparisons of the two on head-fi. You would think the price difference would be a testament to some quality difference between the two. I'll be following closely for an answer to this...If anyone responds that is 
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 29
Good post. I'd be curious to know this too. Although I can't afford the 712s, so I'm waiting for the next drop on the 7xx.....Something tells me that while Massdrop acknowledges the severe popularity of that drop, I don't think it will happen again until I'm long buried. So I have moved on to seek something else. I am trying to reserve a little just in case it comes around again while I'm still breathing. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 29
After doing some research what I've found was that:

1. The K7XX is slightly bassier than the K712
2. The K712 sounds slightly more refined around the edges over any of the K700 series 
3. The K712 is built in Austria
4. The K712 looks better (this is just my own opinion haha)

Is the sound worth the extra 200 bucks? Probably not. Is the exclusivity factor? A definite yes for me.

Can't go wrong with either though.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 29
Thanks for the info! Ya the massdrop may not come soon. But it sounds like if i have the cash for it, i should just spring for the K712. And yes, I think they look cooler too :cool:

The info you gathered sounds accurate, but i wish there were more comparison forums on these models.

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 29
  After doing some research what I've found was that:

1. The K7XX is slightly bassier than the K712
2. The K712 sounds slightly more refined around the edges over any of the K700 series 
3. The K712 is built in Austria
4. The K712 looks better (this is just my own opinion haha)

Is the sound worth the extra 200 bucks? Probably not. Is the exclusivity factor? A definite yes for me.

Can't go wrong with either though.

Buy a used K7XX (in mint condition, $200), leaves you leftover cash for a nice DAC/amp.

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 29

Buy a used K7XX (in mint condition, $200), leaves you leftover cash for a nice DAC/amp.

Didn't the K7XX sell for $200 brand new? I'd rather get a K702 used for cheaper :)

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 29
  Didn't the K7XX sell for $200 brand new? I'd rather get a K702 used for cheaper :)

Yes, they sold new for $200 and if there where new ones available for $200, then that would be great.
But as there are no more new ones, only used (hopefully in mint condition?), it's the only K7XX I can recommend.

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 29
FYI the K7xx drop is back as of yesterday. Of course I just ordered the K712 the same day I got the notice. I only payed about $80 more for factory "repack" on ebay (I'm guessing that a return/referb or something?).

From what I've read (according to one source)the K712 are a more refined headphone with superior detail and soundstage. How much, I can't say. Is it worth the price difference in price, that's a personal matter. In my case the additional 80 bucks was something I was willing to spend (full retail price difference was not something I could afford).

At $200 the Massdrop version is a great deal by all accounts.

UPDATE: According to some who have heard/owned both they sound very similar to identical. So I'm assuming they are very similar.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 29
I used to own both at one point. K712pro has less sub-bass, so it is relatively faster and tighter sounding in the bass department. Treble quantity is higher with less peaks and slightly better upper-end extension. Mids are more airy as a result, but lose a little warmth and intimacy. Both are quite similar in terms of soundstage, but the K712pro's soundstage seems taller (possibly due to its treble qualities) and imaging is slightly more solid and precise as leading edges of notes are rendered through it with greater definition and precision. Decay is also slightly longer on the K7XX, resulting in a slightly diffused soundstage and imaging. My (ex) well burnt-in pair of K7XX sounded better than my new K712pro, but having played music through the latter for quite some time, I now prefer the K712pro, and have traded off the K7XX. Having said this, I would only go for the K712pro if I can get it for <1.5x the K7XX's asking price, which I did :) For, despite the high number of differences, their magnitude and impact on the final sound isn't too major. I listened to them side by side through a Chord Hugo TT, courtesy of the Stereo headphone outlet not too far from where I stay :) Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the more favourable soundstage and imaging of the K712pro helps to better project some of the subtle background details which get vaguely smeared over in the case of the K7XX. Build quality of the K712pro feels a tad more reliable, and it also comes with an extra coiled cable (in black).

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:
  I used to own both at one point. K712pro has less sub-bass, so it is relatively faster and tighter sounding in the bass department. Treble quantity is higher with less peaks and slightly better upper-end extension. Mids are more airy as a result, but lose a little warmth and intimacy. Both are quite similar in terms of soundstage, but the K712pro's soundstage seems taller (possibly due to its treble qualities) and imaging is slightly more solid and precise as leading edges of notes are rendered through it with greater definition and precision. Decay is also slightly longer on the K7XX, resulting in a slightly diffused soundstage and imaging. My (ex) well burnt-in pair of K7XX sounded better than my new K712pro, but having played music through the latter for quite some time, I now prefer the K712pro, and have traded off the K7XX. Having said this, I would only go for the K712pro if I can get it for <1.5x the K7XX's asking price, which I did :) For, despite the high number of differences, their magnitude and impact on the final sound isn't too major. I listened to them side by side through a Chord Hugo TT, courtesy of the Stereo headphone outlet not too far from where I stay :) Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the more favourable soundstage and imaging of the K712pro helps to better project some of the subtle background details which get vaguely smeared over in the case of the K7XX. Build quality of the K712pro feels a tad more reliable, and it also comes with an extra coiled cable (in black).

Good, I feel better about paying a little extra for the K712 now.

I was considering getting the K7xx anyway and seeing for myself, but decided I'm better off waiting and possible picking up a Fidelio X2 down the road, I hear great things about the Fidelio X2.

I'm wanting to have two open Headphones and two closed. One more of a reference pair and one just a listening for fun pair. Why? Because I'm silly like that...

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 29
I been using the K712 PRO for a couple of weeks every day, and all I can say is....AWESOME!  They are very natural, balanced, warm and honest sounding headphones.  Everything is so smooth and detailed, and the sound stage seems normal to me, e.g. not overly wide or tall.....it does not appear extended in any way.  The bass is very natural in that it does not dominate or interfere with the other frequency bands, and the bass parts sound musical and pleasing;  if you want a headphone that pounds your head with boomy, horrible dance music type bass.....look elsewhere because the K712 PRO are for musicians and people with an appreciation for the finer, more intelligent aspects to music.  Another thing I notice is how comfortable they are on my head, and I can listen to them for hours and hours, without suffering any discomfort;  they also do not cause my ears to become hot or sweaty and my ears are not fatigued, which is something that I did not expect of any headphone.  The build quality seems very sturdy and they look very attractive to my eyes, because the majority of headphones out there are plain ugly in my opinion.  Finally I would say that the K712 PRO give so much pleasure, you often find yourself smiling or laughing at how damn amazing they make your music sound, even albums you have heard for years and years, a hundred times in some cases.  I'm hearing new things in so much of the music, e.g. I can now hear the actual chords being played on some parts, which were previously hidden by a hazy blurred sound from other headphones / monitors.  Being reference headphones they also highlight the faults and deficiencies of some album recordings, e.g. the classic Queen song We Are The Champions sounds very distorted in the chorus section, due to the old analogue mixing desk running out of headroom and maybe also tape degradation during those 1970s sessions.  I was set to buy the cheaper K702S model but I am really glad I spent more and got the far superior K712 PRO. :)

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 29
Hi Shredder11,

I currently own the Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro but find myself wanting something a bit more comfortable since the clamping force on these even after stretching is killing me when using them for a couple of hours. I used to own the AKG K701's a few years ago and remember to find them a really comfortable headphone but lacking in the bass department.
I'm torn between the K7XX's or the K712 Pro's and still have to make up my mind (cost is no issue).
I've read in a few places that almost all AKG's are very (i suppose more than usual) dac/amp combo sensitive so since you seem to be happy with your AKG K712 Pro's i wanted to ask if you would like to share your dac/amp combo?

I own both the Dragonfly Black and Red's and are ofcourse hoping this is already suitable allthough i wouldn't be supprised if its not.
I'm open for any suggestions and try to keep an open mind :)

Kind regards!

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 29
  Hi Shredder11,

I currently own the Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro but find myself wanting something a bit more comfortable since the clamping force on these even after stretching is killing me when using them for a couple of hours. I used to own the AKG K701's a few years ago and remember to find them a really comfortable headphone but lacking in the bass department.
I'm torn between the K7XX's or the K712 Pro's and still have to make up my mind (cost is no issue).
I've read in a few places that almost all AKG's are very (i suppose more than usual) dac/amp combo sensitive so since you seem to be happy with your AKG K712 Pro's i wanted to ask if you would like to share your dac/amp combo?

I own both the Dragonfly Black and Red's and are ofcourse hoping this is already suitable allthough i wouldn't be supprised if its not.
I'm open for any suggestions and try to keep an open mind :)

Kind regards!

My DAC / AMP combination is the SMSL M8 DAC with SMSL VMV VA2 and powered by the SMSL P1 linear PSU.  I have handmade British Quested S7 active monitor speakers, and also a Mackie Onyx 402VLZ4 small mixer which has the DAC ouput going though this to the speakers.  I have a simple passive switch that routes the DAC to either the Mackie or to the SMSL VMV VA2 headphone amp.  I use a IBM Thinkpad Z61p laptop and the foobar2000 software, all correctly configured to deliver DSD ASIO output.  Finally I also have an old standalone Philips CD recorder connected to the optical input of the SMSL M8 DAC.

The DragonFly models you mention seem like lower end budget devices, with convenience and portability in mind for use with smartphones.  They are most likely decent enough but there is no way I would swap my SMSL setup for those, but then again the SMSL is aimed at a different part of the market, e.g. mid-range which competes quite respectably with the higher end stuff in performance.  Anyway the combination I have certainly is not bass light with the majority of music I play through it, but I prefer audio hardware that has a balanced sound where no frequency dominates the others.  You can of course add more bass via a good EQ if you so desire.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #15 of 29
Hi Shredder11,

Thank you very much for the extended reply!
From what i understand this is referred to as the Panda stack right?
I find it pretty difficult to justify somewhat more expensive DAC/AMP setups other than for practicality and eyecandy reasons sinds i think my hearing isn't trained enough yet.
Also after reading some reviews and watching some z-review video's on youtube it doesn't really become clear to me where the sound differs other than "more responsive, more clean" or with tubes "more warm" sound signature. The current cheap Dragonfly's i own already cleans up this sound in combo with the Audioquest Jitterbug and make it more responsive to my hearing. I used to own the Fostex HP-A8 DAC/AMP combo and didn't notice a big difference on other headphones i previously owned, then again maybe these headphones weren't as sensitive to a more expensive DAC/AMP combo as the AKG K712 Pro's are described to be. I am hoping you could clearify a little bit on the combination you are using by a/bing the sound signature. I know this kinda sounds contradicting to say "my hearing isn't trained enough so i dont hear any difference" but im still really curious in how you experience this yourself.

Best regards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back