Can someone help me out with my casework?
Jul 28, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know the size of your stock, but you can utilize something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tool-H.../dp/B0000E6TM6 It basically makes your hand drill into a drill press.

Machine shops are fine, but I've been gouged more than once on the pricing to do some precision milling.

In my experience, for the price I paid to mill and cut to precise measurements some pieces of stock, I could buy something like this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44505

Be careful, you are likely to get attacked for suggesting something with which the elite here disagree.

Cheers,

Jon

Jul 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was simply matching your own attitude..

What attitude?

I'm not the one who started in with the, "I've only done this a hundred times" statements. If you took offense to my original comment about the stepped bit your interpreted my comments incorrectly.

And I'd hardly refer to myself as one of the elite around here, I'm here to help, that's it.

Jul 28, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 25
What about an engineer friend? If not do it for/with you, at least to get an introduction to the shop staff? The shop at the school I go to is usually very helpful with these things.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #20 of 25
hey what's going on here? lol is nate attacking people again?

to drill the holes just get a dremel, turn it to 50000RPM, and smash it through. it takes a bit of practice not to get metal shrapnel into your face, though.

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey what's going on here? lol is nate attacking people again?

to drill the holes just get a dremel, turn it to 50000RPM, and smash it through. it takes a bit of practice not to get metal shrapnel into your face, though.

^ made my night
600smile.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #22 of 25
I've used step drill bits to put large holes in think aluminium, and the thing is drill down to the correct width on the front of the plate (where everyone sees), and then go as far as you need to go on the end that's inside the case.
It's not perfect, but from the outside of the case, no one will be the wiser
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to show you I'm not wafting universal obscurant out of my nether orifice here is a pic of an armature I made for a microflight brushless motor.

The little silver pieces are neodymium magnets.

I made it on the CNC mill I have in the basement.

How much is a small CNC mill?
How hard is it to learn/use?

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #25 of 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back