Can someone explain square wave graphs?
Feb 26, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 13
Square waves consist of the fundamental plus infinite overtones (that is what creates the straight vertical line and top). They are used because the amount of rounding off will give an indication of how well the device handles high frequencies. Obviously redbook digital won't look too good passing a 10KHz square wave as it will only pass the first overtone plus the fundamental.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Square waves consist of the fundamental plus infinite overtones (that is what creates the straight vertical line and top). They are used because the amount of rounding off will give an indication of how well the device handles high frequencies. Obviously redbook digital won't look too good passing a 10KHz square wave as it will only pass the first overtone plus the fundamental.

ouch my brain. i get it even less now...

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 13
My (basic, basic) understanding (from my signal processing class etc) is that a square wave (or any other shaped wave) can be be made up of the summation of many sine waves of different frequencies. (See Fourier Transform) The important thing to note here is that if any of those frequencies get attenuated (basically, filtered out by some amount), the square wave will be distorted. So, how faithfully a pair of headphones reproduces a square wave that goes through it may indicate whether or not it is attenuating certain frequencies. A square wave that goes through a low pass, high pass, or band pass filter will have a significant distortion. I think this is basically what blahblahblaster was getting at. However, I believe that distortion can occur from attenuation of low and/or high frequencies, not just the highs. Hopefully, this helps explain something. Also, if someone with much more knowledge than myself could please correct any mistakes that I have made. Enjoy your square waves!

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 13
"" Can someone explain square wave graphs?""

*shrugs* They have corners, and round waves dont?
eek.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 13
I can't read the units used for amplitude in the square wave graph, anyone know what they are? I'm curious exactly what they're measuring the amplitude of.

Pretty simple what the graphs are showing though I think, they demonstrate a phase shift of various frequency components caused by the headphone's construction. Basically, the less it looks like a square wave, the more different frequencies are shifted in time by the phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back