Can i upgrade to 50 ohms/112 db headphone?
Apr 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

margam

New Head-Fier
Hi guys , my 2 year old  32 ohm/106 db philips closed headphone is dying ,now am looking for open headphones. but im confused whether i need a dac because my source is a dell laptop (15r turbo) using conexant  audio codec.

When i asked dell support about on board sound card they replied me that it gives output at 31 mW per channel into 32 ohms. The output voltage is 1 Vrms. with an integrated headphone limiter.( the link is given below ).. note that when i use my 32 ohm headphone there is no volume left to increase in my laptop & at full volume its not louder & its crap.So can i use 50 ohm headphones with 32 ohm source.

I am looking at Sennheiser HD 518 & HD 558 with 108 db and 112 db sensitivity.Among these which is best for my source. i dont know whether i should i stick with 32 ohm headphones like HD 449 .which i am considering in to...I am interested in  HD 558 since it has more sensitivity, What would you guys recommend ? Can i go for it or should i stick with 32 ohm headphones ?

Link to the specs of my source http://www.conexant.com/Product/Audio/pchdaudio/CX20672/Pages/default.aspx
(Hope its not a bad source.........................)

Thanks.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 2
It is not the impedance that is what is going to control the loudness, rather, the sensitivity.  The Sennheiser headphones you are looking at are slightly more efficient so you will gain a very small amount of volume, but if you want more you are going to have to use an external headphone amp.

Take a look here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-10-amps-compared/120

Think of resistance ( Ohms ) more of how well a device can control the driver and think of the sensitivity as how easy it is to get to a specified loudness.  Of course resistance does come into play, but as long as the sensitivity is over 95dB you should be able to achieve loud listening levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back