can I get a single amp that I can use with IEM's and HD650's?
Jun 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

photios

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of HD650's and I prefer them...but sometimes my wife complains about the noise that bleeds thru when she's watching TV or reading. So at times I use my UE11's at home instead since they don't bleed out nearly as much noise.

I currently have a Blueberry Audio Emotion Amp that sounds great with the 650's, but its too bright and lacks low end with the UE11's.

Is there an amp that I could get at home that would work for both the 650's and the UE's11?

Here's other details that might be helpful:

I predominately listen to Rock music at loud volumes
I use a Denon 1500 MKII CDP

Jun 22, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 18
I do exactly this with my Hornet, except that I am using HD600's. It powers them quite well on the high gain, and of course it would be great with the UE11's on low gain.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 18
plenty of amps can power both youor HD600 and UE11.. Perhaps you'd like to state your budget?

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 18
Which IEMs?

I use er4s, and any home amp that I have ever had success with the hd-580 or 650 with has ran them GREAT.

if you use some of the 15 and 20 ohm super-high sensativity iems (customs, and whatnot) things get a littttle harder, but not much.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 18
Look at the headroom amps. The desktop amp has 3 gain settings, and 2 different HP out. One is 1/8th, the other 1/4th. I have one, and the sound is fantastic for all types of HPs. I don't use IEMs with it, but by altering the gain you get great synergy with HD650 and the lower ohm Grados.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which IEMs?

I use er4s, and any home amp that I have ever had success with the hd-580 or 650 with has ran them GREAT.

if you use some of the 15 and 20 ohm super-high sensativity iems (customs, and whatnot) things get a littttle harder, but not much.

UE11's

I seem to lack Bass response with my Blueberry (might be a fit issue...just got the UE11's).

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the headroom amps. The desktop amp has 3 gain settings, and 2 different HP out. One is 1/8th, the other 1/4th. I have one, and the sound is fantastic for all types of HPs. I don't use IEMs with it, but by altering the gain you get great synergy with HD650 and the lower ohm Grados.

Yeah I found that amp the other day when I was researching this on my own...I might go back and give the HR Desktop a serious look as a contender.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 18
I'm wondering now if I might be better off trading in my HD650's for Grado GS-1000's...the impedance on the UE11's and the Grado's are much closer and perhaps that would open up my options to find a single amp that would run both of them well?

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 18
you might consider using an impedance adapter with your IEMs.
if you DIY, you can experiment with resistor values and customize for your particular headphones/ amp.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 18
Reducing the gain coming out of the amp is not going to change the tone of your IEMs. If they sound too bright to you compared to your Senns, they're probably too bright compared to your Senns. Changing amps will change the tone of both phones (ever so slightly), but will not solve your problem. I'm guessing you need different IEMs.

Tim

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 18
Actually, putting an impedance adapter on the output will definitely change the sound of the headphone as it creates a voltage divider and will since headphones don't have a flat frequency response, it will change how they sound.

Doing this on the input is not going to make as much of a difference in terms of sound signature.

As for OP's situation, If you like the HD650, you're likely to hate bright IEMs; not much you can do about that. I would simply recommend using an amp that will be able to properly drive your HD650 (not an easy task, I might say; just because it's loud doesn't mean it sounds good), and switching IEMs or amping them with something else.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 18
Well I spoke with UE today and aparently these UE11's should have PLENTY of low end (some users even think they have too much low end), but in order to get that low end you need a tight seal and good bone conductivity. The guess is that my IEM's need a minor fit adjustment (which is free during the first 30 days) so I'm sending them back tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back