Can I burn them in without an amp
Jul 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Rock n Rolla

Head-Fier
Well

turns out yesterday when I purchase my senns hd600 and my hifiman ef2 amp from amazon..

I purchased 2 day shipping so they should come tomorrow (so i thought)
problem is that only the senns are coming tomorrow....the amp is coming from asia and won't arrive till next Monday. I would very much like to use this time to burn in the senns

but I don't really know how haha
redface.gif

Do I just leave them on all night for a couple days playing music from itunes?
and will not having them hooked up to an amp matter? what volume should I play them at?(they will be plugged into my laptop headphone jack)

I will also probably be using them anyways if they sound better than my current headphones even without an amp
atsmile.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 13
is the hd600 headphone jack terminated to 1/4 or 1/8? if 1/8 just plug it into your computer and play the music at normal listening levels. some people use pink noise, but i don't know much about that.

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock n Rolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I don't really know how haha
redface.gif

Do I just leave them on all night for a couple days playing music from itunes?
and will not having them hooked up to an amp matter? what volume should I play them at?(they will be plugged into my laptop headphone jack)

Yeah leave them all on night, listen to them during the day... look at this positively, you get some listening time with the 600s unamped, get used to there sound... then when the amp comes you hear the difference instantly.

I'd suggest pink noise and different frequency tones which are all available here: Burn-in wave files: white noise, pink noise, frequency sweep, channel mix

Listening volume should be just above comfortable volume, the idea is to push the speaker and break it in. When I burn in I don't use my amp, no need.

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 13
also congrats the new rig.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also congrats the new rig.

haha thanks

so just set up a playlist with all those different tones and sounds and replay it all night at a comfortable volume?

sounds good
k701smile.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 13
Some say you should have a 15 minute or 30 minute rest period in there every couple of hours too. Concerning the volume, I burned my headphones in at slightly higher than comfortable listening volume and I believe that is what is usually suggested. There is actually a sticky on burn-in so you should read that if you haven't already.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 13
You don't have to participate in the burn-in ritual if you don't want.

You could also try lighting some candles then walking in a circle backwards while chanting an incantation to change the sound.

I recommend you simply plug them in and listen to music when they arrive. That's what I've done with every pair of headphones I've owned. I've also taken the collection to meets. Not one person has ever suggested that my headpones weren't "burned in correctly" or similar.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 13
Don't ever try to do anything without proper amplification!

In doing so, you run the risk of your face melting and the bones in your arms and legs disintegrating to little more than dust.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't have to participate in the burn-in ritual if you don't want.

You could also try lighting some candles then walking in a circle backwards while chanting an incantation to change the sound.

Ahhh! You forgot to tell him to do it during a full moon only!
ph34r.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 13
^ this is why I love head-fi.

I remember having the same concerns about the AD900s when I first bought them (no amp, straight out of on board sound). I don't seem to remember burn in being very significant. Probably my mind playing tricks on me.

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Another thing: you can try listening to them during the burn-in, and see if you believe in burning in headphones.
biggrin.gif
Ever since I burned in my HD280s I've been a believer, but you should judge for yourself. My philosophy is that it at least has a psychological effect, putting off disappointment and buyer's remorse until you give the new equipment a bit of time, and maybe it actually does something, depending on the equipment.

As for burn-in, the only problems I can see would be if your computer didn't have enough power to drive the Senns to a normal listening volume. If you can listen to them through the computer, go ahead. If not, it's kind of a moot point.
floatsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back