'Can Con' Sydney meet 10/07 Unique Melody, i-enjoy.com.au, Jaben Australia, Twisted Cables & Krispy Kables to join us~ Major prize giveaway by Jaben Aus~
Jul 11, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #631 of 670
Thanks Paul for an awesome meet~!
Sorry for being so late, I'll make it up next time by actually bringing equipment  =P

Meeting the guys from UM and Jaben was definitely one of the highlights!

...and yeah, MOAR PICS!

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #632 of 670
Thanks Paul. The event was really fun. I was able to meet a lot of great people.
I got to try out gear I was interested in, and made some discoveries in new products the vendors brought along.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #634 of 670
Thank you yogui for coming along despite having a surgery not too long ago for your perforated ear drum.~ Pity you could not try out headphones and setups.... But what a champ for coming along anyway~

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #636 of 670

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for a fantastic event, we're glad that those interested were able to come along and have a listen to our customs.

Remember to check in on our facebook, we're keen to see any pictures or hear any impression you all have.

Next time, hopefully we can give away some IEM's.

Thanks to Paul and his team for an absolutely awesome job. Your efforts are very very very appreciated.

I did not end up trying out many headphones but did manage to sample the UM line up and I must say, the I am very happy with what I heard. Thank you for coming along and it was your offer to fly to Sydney if I organise a meet that started it all~ So, thank you~ I think I will try to post my impressions of the lineup later in the week in one of the threads, hopefully it will be helpful~

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #637 of 670
Thanks to Paul for a *buttload* of organisational work, to Paul's volunteers who helped a lot, to those who took photographs, to the vendors for bringing a great selection of interesting gear and to every participant who brought even more interesting gear!  I particularly enjoyed spending some time with the Centrance DAC/amps from Jaben, and the HD800 which I hadn't heard before and rather liked, and I was very glad to finally hear the T1's and a little bit of the HE-6's as well even though they weren't totally my cup of tea.  (Decisions, decisions...)

To those who couldn't make it - you certainly missed out!  I was surprised at how fast the time went (once we got inside :wink: which is a reliable indicator of a very good meet! :)

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #638 of 670
Hi All~!

This is Peter, Paul (the organiser's lil' bro), the guy in the hi-vis vest wearing a white cap. Anywayz just wanted to say a BIG thanks to all Distributors (Especially; Jaben Australia, i-Enjoy.com.au and Twisted Cables for offering awesome give-aways) and also UM and Krispy Kables for their show case.

As a new member into the headfi and a rookie in growing interest of audio gear, this event provided an excellent opportunity for beginners through to experts to exchange wisdom and ideas. I particularly enjoyed the hands-on environment of "CAN CON 2011 (Sydney)" and I truly hope Paul and all members can make the event bigger and better next year (also definitely warmer). This not just up to Paul (whom works full-time, studies full-time and is a full time husband), it is up to all members and participants to make it happen~!

Through the raffle draw I was lucky enough to win the "Cross Roads" earbuds supplied by Jarben Australia, they looked awesome but due to my soft hearted fiance, had to give it away to one of the guys who did not win a prize, the guy I dropped off @ Macquarie Uni. It would be great if that guy could post some photos and write a review on the earbuds as I haven't seen one on headfi.

Lastly (apologises for the long reply
eek.gif
), I would like to suggest that next year's convention (if there is one) should be with more members (without last minute drop-outs), which would mean more capital to spend on bigger and warmer location sites.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #639 of 670
hey hey, nice to see i look as haggard as i felt in the pics, you gotta love the fading smile when a photo takes that second too long to be taken :p its testament to how small my cables are that the 'pile' of 4 LOD cables in front of me is hard to make out. i dont keep stock in general, as my cables are just about 100% custom made to order, but i had to laugh at the pics. i have instructed natonrice to give me a virtual slap next time i even think about going against my plans to only bring finished and portable gear with me, instead of bringing a bag that warrants Virgin to put a sticker on there telling staff to bend their knees. After hauling 30kg of stuff 1000km its hard to give up to a software problem, which turned out to be running leopard when snow leopard was the first OS supported and another issue that shall not be mentioned.

as far as impressions, i dont have much, didnt listen to much gear, was good to see mazz with his shades on inside as always :D 

i tell you what though, at the end of the meet i got to try out the um merlin and miracle, the miracle is quite impressive, but too similar in tone to my jh13 (not surprising, as its aimed to be their answer to it).  I love my 13's, but dont need another custom in the same vein. I really wanted to hear the merlin and it was as knock down, drag out fun as i hoped it might be, couldnt get the smile off my face and had to grab Tom and make him have a listen. i dont think i could have them as my only iem; just as i cant have my modded D2000 as my only headphone, but as far as something for a bit of flavor when you want to rock your skull, these are the ones. i scrolled down to Faithless's 'sun to me' from the new album 'the dance never ends'  and a silly grin crept across my face and stayed there. a smile as dippy as the Frequency response 
etysmile.gif
 really close imaging, big big big rumbling but clean bass. Iwould have loved to try them out of 'the wire' oh well maybe next time, i might wait for their next hybrid, but they are definitely on the radar.

it was realy good to meet the guys from um Australia and chat with them about their plans and vision, a nice change from my own personal experience lately with customs manufacturers.

need to get one of your stock cables guys so i can take a cast of the pitch and size of the connector to fabricate one that fits well.

thanks to Paul for the hard work, seemed like a really cool meet from what i saw.

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #641 of 670
Jeremy just for reference, how much would the connectors cost if we wanted to buy one? Also how much would cable for headphone or custom iems cost? They were very beautiful cables.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #642 of 670
Wow John you let Jeremy get off easily!
You didn't even manipulate his chin hehe

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #643 of 670

Quote:
Thank you yogui for coming along despite having a surgery not too long ago for your perforated ear drum.~ Pity you could not try out headphones and setups.... But what a champ for coming along anyway~

Thanks Paul,
I did enjoy having a look around and discussing everyone's gear.
This meets don't happen often enough to skip one.
BTW, I still recovering and it will be a few weeks till I can enjoy some music "properly".
The ear drum perforation was not by loud music but allergy/flu/diving combination over time.

Are the shirts and other material be hold available for the next meet in some way?
If of any value I have the source files for the printed material used.
Would this be a good opportunity to discuss how can a more regular event can hold/organize?
I suppose a new discussion should be open...

Cheers,

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #645 of 670
unfortunately i cant say that here due to mot rules, **** apple and its pretend drag and drop, i had a slideshow all made up for the ipad and i copied it, but it was nowhere to be seen when i checked; too late on the flight down. this was supposed to cut down on the amount of stuff i brought with me haha, tom knows how funny that is. i'm determined there WILL be a website in the next little while. i actually started working on it again today.

you wait John, when you are least expecting it at the next meet 

haha it censored 'dam'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back