'Can Con' Sydney meet 10/07 Unique Melody, i-enjoy.com.au, Jaben Australia, Twisted Cables & Krispy Kables to join us~ Major prize giveaway by Jaben Aus~
Jun 3, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #211 of 670
Quote:
I looked at OP and I thought Tom had actually finished his diyt2...

lol tom has his hands full finishing his phd... coupled with **** himself over getting a job, it is not a state of mind condusive to finishing the arc welder.

I can't believe how big the list of attendees and equipment has gotton!
Great stuff =)

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #216 of 670
Hello~ just a quick announcement~
we so far have 4 distributors attending (custom iem, universal iem/headphone/amp, schiit, and cable), and I would like an ultra high end system distributor attending as well. So if there is ultra high end system you would like to have a listen to and know that they are in sydney, pm me their contact details so that I can contact them~ cheers. Paul.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #217 of 670
tbh apart from dacs that are applicable to both headgear and speakers, i dont know that there is any for sale here in oz that beats the ultra high end diy efforts some members are doing. i'm gonna see if i can get Acko to come along and if not i'm kinda representing him also, as i realy think this stuff needs to be heard, i will do what i can to get my ackodac rig back into shape to bring down, but i dont want to spread myself too thin. i will see if i can borrow a system from him.

some of this stuff kicks most commercial gears buts imo and its not strictly diy,. i'll send you a pm

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #218 of 670
tbh apart from dacs that are applicable to both headgear and speakers, i dont know that there is any for sale here in oz that beats the ultra high end diy efforts some members are doing. i'm gonna see if i can get Acko to come along and if not i'm kinda representing him also, as i realy think this stuff needs to be heard, i will do what i can to get my ackodac rig back into shape to bring down, but i dont want to spread myself too thin. i will see if i can borrow a system from him.

some of this stuff kicks most commercial gears buts imo and its not strictly diy,. i'll send you a pm

1x I/V stage board without components for $130 (!), and piece by piece cost of easily $1000+ without a case :D ...Wonder if they assemble it all and give you a free case if you buy a whole dac :D

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #219 of 670
huh? they are assembled. he doesnt sell bare boards and every price on the page is preceded by -Assembled and Tested
-Built to Order: ~4wks.

the usb dac on sale right now is 238 for a hiface async usb module with linear regulators for all voltages, integrated ess dac and output buffer..... expensive hey? just whack a case around it and add transformer

iv module
-Assembled and Tested
-Built to Order: ~4wks 
Unit Price: xxxx

i never said anything about the top shelf dac being cheap, i said it was very good in response to a post asking about ultra-high end components and for that i would usually think of another zero after your thousand dollars. i once tried to save money by getting the parts myself when he was selling bare boards, lets just say i bought kits from then on and they are cheaper now

also all designs and assembly are made in Australia, that is worth something to me

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #220 of 670
i can see your confusion with that one pic, but the words disagree, i guess he doesnt have any pics of the assembled board. did you not read the description? i guess value as with beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if you know what you are looking at the price isnt bad at all, not cheap agreed, but that was not the brief

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #221 of 670
>I/V ...Assembled and Tested

Well, that makes more sense :D, should've read it more carefully.

with the $238 (actually 258) I think you're referring to the small usb powered version. https://sites.google.com/site/ackodac/home/AKD22P.JPG?attredirects=0 (don't really need an ext psu board for it either, but it does have the block connector for ext power). That one is pretty cheap for a sabre dac and async USB.
(although I haven't seen much about the 9023 chip)

I was referring to the multiboard with separate I/V stage or coax/aes,USB module,clock module, controller, reg PSU/torroidals,DAC board, etc... one for which you have to buy board by board https://sites.google.com/site/ackodac/_/rsrc/1303950079284/home/AKD%20SYS-BUILD4.JPG

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #222 of 670
Hey Paul, mate, do you reckon you can make a poll or tell us the progress with venues? I'll be free to from the 11th of June, onwards to help with locating venues. We can have meet  up or discuss venues, costs and stuff if you want face to face or through facebook/msn.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #223 of 670
At this stage we have 3 venues in progress. Masonic temple in Fairfield courtesy of nickiboyo, he said he would be able to confirm by today. Otherwise we have two other venues if these do not fall through today/tomorrow, one in castle hill and one in hornsby which are available. I like masonic temple because due to closeness to central Sydney, cost and restrictions applied to the venue. Anyway, I will keep you all posted as soon as I find out~
cheers. Paul.
P.s. Thanks mitos.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #224 of 670
i know which one you were referring to, my comments were directed at that, i only mentioned the other board to give an indication of his margin overall. the only difference between it and your average 10k dac is the pretty case and the ackodac uses better tolerance parts. no audiophile nonsense here either, he designs high end RF systems sub-contracted to the australian defense force. wrt aku-24 you do need a psu, but not a regulated one, it needs dc in, so batteres would work well also. but i wont derail the thread further. on that. 

sorry guys.

well as far as on topic, i really need to book flights. date is set right? that weekend at least? as long as its that weekend it doesnt matter too much which day, i'm sure Tom and i will find something to geek out on, or drink....or geek out while we drink

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #225 of 670
i know which one you were referring to, my comments were directed at that, i only mentioned the other board to give an indication of his margin overall. the only difference between it and your average 10k dac is the pretty case and the ackodac uses better tolerance parts. no audiophile nonsense here either, he designs high end RF systems sub-contracted to the australian defense force. wrt aku-24 you do need a psu, but not a regulated one, it needs dc in, so batteres would work well also. but i wont derail the thread further. on that. 

sorry guys.

well as far as on topic, i really need to book flights. date is set right? that weekend at least? as long as its that weekend it doesnt matter too much which day, i'm sure Tom and i will find something to geek out on, or drink....or geek out while we drink

:) so you might be bringing the full set one? (presumably a finished http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/image/view/id/113189#113192 ) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back