Can Asus Xonar Essence STX power AKG K701/702 properly?
Jun 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
I really am not sure if it can.  I read many articles where people are using that combination, but people keep telling me that the amp isn't powerful enough and I need to buy a dedicated amp with discrete circuit etc.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476602/asus-xonar-stx-built-in-amp-and-k701-synergy

If anyone has this combination, let me know how it works.

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 15
I just did an A-B comparison of the Heed CANAMP vs. the Asus Xonar Essence STX using AKG K 702 and Bose Triport; and using the RCA out of the STX's DAC for the CANAMP.  Both are able to drive the K 702 easily, and both sound nearly identical.  There is a little more clarity in the STX, probably due to less noise, but there's a little more bass with the CANAMP.  It's really hard to tell the difference, so just go with the $180 STX instead of the $450 CANAMP.

So.. there's the answer.

Jul 11, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 15
Whoa are you sure the canamp wasnt defective or something? From the reviews I thought the canamp was an excellent amp and would make a huge improvement over an Essence STX.

I agree the Essence can power a K701 very well, using it to power my HD 600, which i preferred over the K701 in the end.

Jul 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 15
STX can't get anywhere near the best out of a 701.

If pointy fox can't tell the difference between a 702 and a pair of Bose from a half decent amp and bolt on from a soundcard, then I'm not surprised he sold the AKGs.

I think the 701 are the most overrated phones on here, and I've checked them out with a CDP running through a Burson, Talisman, Einar and Corda Swing. But then I prefer to compromise outright technical performance, for a bit more fun in the sound.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 15
I think some of you come to this forum just to insult people and feed your egos. ^
Anyway, what's a "bolt on"?  Is that like a "strap on"?

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 15
When you have conflicting evidence, someone says A, someone says B, people have to weigh it for themselves. (edited - originally said no absolute truth, which actually, is not my pov at all). 

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Sort of.  Even if only half the people say that it will power them, then there must be not too much of a difference and I'm fine with that.

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 15
With my STX I can power my DT880 / 600 ohm cans without a problem.
I have not tried it with the k701 / 2.

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 15
^^ I used to think so.
But I recently I tried my DT880/600 ohms on a tube amp ( from a local DIYer) & my jaw just dropped.
The improvements were not subtle, I actually felt like I had never heard these properly before.
The xonar STX is a decent amp for the money but a decent dedicated amp is worth the extra dough, IMO.

Jul 17, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #14 of 15
Properly? No way.

Temporary setup until you get a proper amplifier? Sure, it's okay-ish.

You get enough volume but the STX HP out sounds overly aggressive and harsh with the K701s, at least with the stock opamps.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
^^ I used to think so.
But I recently I tried my DT880/600 ohms on a tube amp ( from a local DIYer) & my jaw just dropped.
The improvements were not subtle, I actually felt like I had never heard these properly before.
The xonar STX is a decent amp for the money but a decent dedicated amp is worth the extra dough, IMO.

Well you are always going to have better components that sound better then the amp on the card.  The question is from an electrical point of view can the card put out enough power to drive them properly.
I think the amp on the STX is a great feature but if you have really high end cans you will always be better off with a high end can amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back