Can anyone tell me why I dont want the new Zune?
Nov 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #31 of 51
i agree with you, i don't think wma lossless is going anywhere. i just think people are a bit leery about converting flac collections they have for a long time into another format that only recently has support on a potable player.

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #32 of 51
im kind of getting tierd of this, every time you buy a new player, you have to reencode your collection, WMA lossless, apple lossless, Kenwood lossless,

***, Flac is GPL, supporting it dosnt cost money and since the source is available, its easy to implemet, its just these companies are so eager to lock you in by locking all your music in their propietary formats, its annoying and not going anywhere,
Microsoft doesnt even support its own format (different software needed for zune then for other microsoft WMP based players)
apple is apple, the latest ipods where supposed to be the greatest, ended up being a disapointment quality wise, due to cutting corners with the firmware and DAC,

and kenwood hasnt upgraded the mediakeg in a significant way in close to 3 years, the only differance between them is hard drive size,

they werent joking when they said DRM is killing music, but the funny part is that the dap companies arent using it to prevent you from "unathorized use" , they use it to lock you in to a specific format that only plays on a specific player brand,

if they keep this up, im really sorry to say this, becuase we are not supposed to support illegal downloading, but 90% of legal music sources are poisoned wells,
which makes people want to avoid players with lock in and legal music,

Nov 25, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #34 of 51
the only problem for me is that i have become accustomed to itunes, and i dont like the zune's software that comes with it. i think they tried too hard to make it so visually appealing and its taken away from the functionality of the program. i highly reccomend downloading and trying out the zune software (free download on website) before buying the zune. the player itself is great

Nov 25, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple "Just works" for me!
..and always has. But for all I know I might just have been damn lucky.
wink.gif

Same here, it all just works like a charm!

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it can't do gapless
its screen has a low pixel density
you can't use it to store files
you can't use it on linux or os x
it doesn't have a clock, contacts, games (let me know if they have added any of these)
its only available in 80GB
its rated battery life is lower than the ipod's
you can only rate songs as like it or hate it (no more 5 star rating system)
the old zune didn't have a line out (may change)

now, why should you get? the interface looks spectacular, the screen is huge, the old zune sounded great (hope that holds), it has a radio, it will be integrated well with the social site they are setting up (community), all around it seems like a good device integrated with a good system.

Agreed; good post.

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wont be storing video or pictures. I do however want the best audio quality and storage space. UI is a very close second.

I was looking at the Clix2/D2 but for $249 and 80gb how can you beat the Zune?

Hands down, Zune 30. Look for it coming up cheap. You won't beat it for sound quality/storage size/price.

It's the only player out there that has 30gig, that you can get under 100, and it's sound quality is discussed at great length in the forums.

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its screen has a low pixel density
you can't use it to store files
you can't use it on linux or os x
it doesn't have a clock, contacts, games (let me know if they have added any of these)
its only available in 80GB
its rated battery life is lower than the ipod's
you can only rate songs as like it or hate it (no more 5 star rating system)
the old zune didn't have a line out (may change)

1. Who cares about pixel density on a small screen? and did you read the first sentence on the OP post? LOL, so much for reading comprehension.
2. You can hack it..the same way you can jailbreak an itouch
3. yeah, you can. Use virtualization on *nix and the included bootcamp on OSX (thanks SJ not me or MS).
4. Did you read the OP post ?
5. Did you read the OP post ?
6. On the same level as his iriver with bigger color screen and greater capacity.
7. He could not rate songs on his iriver. the heart system can work for him (maybe)
8. yeah, may change. Reports are indicating the presence of Line-Out on Zune 80.

read the quote!
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #39 of 51
funny thing is I cant get FLAC to install on Vista x64 even with driver signing disabled.. so wma lossless is fine with me
smily_headphones1.gif

I love that MS kept their promise about Zune's software upgradability.. it's like I have a whole new device
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins
1. Who cares about pixel density on a small screen? and did you read the first sentence on the OP post? LOL, so much for reading comprehension.

pixel density is critically important, even on a small screen. even if hes not using videos or pictures, the resolution of the zune's screen is a big disapointment that is noticeable in the interface.
Quote:

2. You can hack it..the same way you can jailbreak an itouch

haha, you can't even start to compare a jailbroken touch to the zune, it just has so much more potential. in addition, i did not know the registry hack worked with the new zunes. even if it does, it is not even close to the ipod in terms of portable hard drive functionality
Quote:

3. yeah, you can. Use virtualization on *nix and the included bootcamp on OSX (thanks SJ not me or MS).

that is not using the zune, that is either running windows or virtualizing windows. again, not nearly as good as the ipod with that functionality.
Quote:

4. Did you read the OP post ?

did you? where does he mention wanting or not wanting those features?
Quote:

5. Did you read the OP post ?

again, did you?
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
I do however want the best ... storage space.

Quote:

6. On the same level as his iriver with bigger color screen and greater capacity.

the battery life of the zune is still less than half that of the ipod.
Quote:

7. He could not rate songs on his iriver. the heart system can work for him (maybe)

he doesn't own the clix, so ratings might be something he is interested in.
Quote:

8. yeah, may change. Reports are indicating the presence of Line-Out on Zune 80.

well, it hasn't yet.

before you make false claims, you should try reading the original post.

and, to add to my previous post,
the zune doesn't have an EQ
can't do dynamic playlists
software has limited tagging abilities

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #42 of 51
OMG get real....MS evil
rolleyes.gif
Do you ever shop at walmart? Sams Club etc??
Seriousely get over it.

Screen resolution, again
rolleyes.gif
What you want HDMI on a 2" screen, whatever it is 2" !!!!

I just jumped from a RB X5. Open source, tweak-able, "best sound," and all the BS. Sure you feel all warm and fuzzy, but I spent more time screwing with the player and on the computer then I did enjoying my music....
GET OOF your freaking HIGH HORSE and enjoy life a little!!!!

Guess what, I LOVE my Zune and will buy another for my with!! I have spent more time listen to it this week then I did my x% in a month....Because I can!!
Check out my pics thread for my feelings on it's sound too. I like it BETTER then the x5.

Flame me, Hate me, I really don't care, 'cause I am rocking out while you are trying to get things just your way....
Come on, have some fun!!
biggrin.gif

Edit: Oh yea, to the OP, Just go buy it, enjoy it and ignore the BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back