Can anyone tell me why I dont want the new Zune?
Nov 9, 2007 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
I wont be storing video or pictures. I do however want the best audio quality and storage space. UI is a very close second.

I was looking at the Clix2/D2 but for $249 and 80gb how can you beat the Zune?

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 51
Get the Cowon iAudio D2.

Great SQ, fantastic battery life and it takes SDHC memory cards so the storage capacity is endless.

Forgot to add its very small and compact, the Zune in comparison would be like carrying a brick in your pocket and its SQ has nothing on the D2.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the Cowon iAudio D2.

Great SQ, fantastic battery life and it takes SDHC memory cards so the storage capacity is endless.

I currently have 15+g of music on my DAP now. I dont want to have to shell out for extra cards that I could possibly end up losing. That cost would bring me well over $200 to get the same memory capacity of the zune. Even if I needed 30gb that would cost a pretty penny in extra memory cards.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 51

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 51
SDHC memory is getting cheaper by the day.

Its a balancing act, if your happy with a brick in your pocket and inferior SQ then go for the Zune.

Alternatively if you want a DAP that you wont notice in your pocket and has superior SQ with less onboard memory than get the D2.

But in saying that the D2 now comes in a 16gb model so if you got a 8gb SDHC card you'd have 24gb in small package.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 51
Ok, well if you guys put it that way...

First off, most of the time it will be spent living in my glovebox playing through my aux jack in my car. So size isnt necessarily an issue.

Secondly, what about that trekstar thing Ive been reading a lot about, that at least has 20gb of onboard memory?

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 51
Maybe because of what Microsoft "stands for"
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 51
I would hardly describe the new Zune as a brick. The old ones maybe, but not the new ones.

The only reason I might be compelled not to pick up a new Zune is that it doesn't support FLAC, only WMA losless. Other than that, it looks like an outstanding player for the price.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SDHC memory is getting cheaper by the day.

Its a balancing act, if your happy with a brick in your pocket and inferior SQ then go for the Zune.

Alternatively if you want a DAP that you wont notice in your pocket and has superior SQ with less onboard memory than get the D2.

But in saying that the D2 now comes in a 16gb model so if you got a 8gb SDHC card you'd have 24gb in small package.

SD memory is a total pain in the a**. I know, that's what I used until I got a Zune. Also, how can you criticize the sound quality of a DAP you've never heard? It sounds like the OP might be happy with a Zune 30 for around $100. Great sound, especially with the lossless WMA coming in a few days, 30 G storage, and an excellent UI that will get even better on Nov 13th.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Exactly!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www.microsoft.com/about/default.mspx#values

Yeah, they're evil for sure.. like every other company making a profit..

I say go for it with the new Zune, it's a very good looking player, and if it's like the old one, they sound great too.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 51
The new Zune a brick? With those specs above, I say give me a break.

Not to mention I think the D2 looks like crap. I hate players that look like that.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 51
Microsoft could have won some more people over if the new Zune supported FLAC. Who Knows how long WMA Lossless will be around. I'm definitely interested in checking it out. CNET's mp3 podcast tested it out and seemed to like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back