Can anyone recommend some great ambient music for studying?
May 25, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #63 of 79
Ambient music is supposed to be listenned to, not to be background music and I resent the notion.

If you want something that is Ambient noise, try "Music for real airports". It's basically a soundcapture of an airport.

May 25, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #64 of 79

Quote:
Ambient music is supposed to be listenned to, not to be background music and I resent the notion.

If you want something that is Ambient noise, try "Music for real airports". It's basically a soundcapture of an airport.

That's a closed-minded approach to ambient music listening.

Sure, some ambient music rewards deep, intensive listening; the sonic holograms of Matt Hillier, the deep, tribal undulations of Steve Roach and the ethereal acoustic mandalas of Alio Die spring to mind.  But most of it does not, and isn't meant to.  Most of it is meant to be played at a low volume and 'heard' but not actively listened to.  The liner notes to several albums instruct the listener to do exactly this.  I generally listen to ambient when I don't want to actively listen, such as when I'm already doing something, about to go sleep, or even if I'm feeling introspective.

I'm not sure why you'd characterize Brian Eno's 'Ambient 1:Music for Airports' as 'ambient noise', since it's one of the most famous pure ambient albums, not to mention that Eno is the man that coined the term 'ambient music.'  According to him, 'Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting.'

There's no need to 'resent' that notion - I assure you that the artists don't. :wink:

May 25, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #65 of 79
Theres a fine distinction between ambient music and ambient noise.

I did mean Eno's album, but mistakenly made reference to the vastly superior album Music for real airports. I've been busy.

Eno is rubbish IMVHO. Another Green world is his only halfway decent album and even then it fails to sound green.

Regardless, I would suggest that your approach (following what the artist intended blindly) is the narrow-minded approach to ambient.

edit: oooh I see this thread is already ahead of me. Fine show, chaps!

May 25, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #66 of 79

Quote:
Theres a fine distinction between ambient music and ambient noise.

I did mean Eno's album, but mistakenly made reference to the vastly superior album Music for real airports. I've been busy.

Eno is rubbish IMVHO. Another Green world is his only halfway decent album and even then it fails to sound green.

Regardless, I would suggest that your approach (following what the artist intended blindly) is the narrow-minded approach to ambient.

edit: oooh I see this thread is already ahead of me. Fine show, chaps!

Nowhere did I say that I always listen to ambient music softly or that I always follow the instructions in a CD liner.  I've had what could only be described as 'cosmic' experiences listening to the right ambient albums in the right frame of mind, but those can't be candidly discussed on this forum.  I simply asserted that your idea (that any listening other than deep, intensive listening in an insult to the artist and therefore deserving of your resentment) is wrong.  I'm saying there are many ways to listen (including the one you listed), you're saying there's one - and I'm the narrow-minded one?
tongue.gif

Drawing a picture, reading a book, napping, discussing, studying and myriad other activities can be greatly enhanced by playing ambient music at a barely audible volume.  This is how many listeners listen to it.  For years, I used low level ambient music to help me fall asleep (mostly Mathias Grassow).

I'll restate for the record - claiming that there is only one way to listen to ambient music, and by extension just about anything, is closed-minded.

Onto the other points...

Eno does have a certain academic quality that could turn off most listeners of 'modern' ambient, which tends to be more organic and primordial sounding.  You cannot, however, deny the man's influence. 

'Ambient noise' isn't really a music genre - the subgenres of ambient that use electrical noise as the sound source generally fall under 'dark ambient' (see Sleep Research Facility, Lustmord) and there is also noise music (see Merzbow).

May 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #67 of 79
The OP is into classical and wants something ambient, so try film sound tracks such as those by Thomas Newman and 'American Beauty' or Howard Shore and 'Panic Room'. 

Also try the post rock scene with bands such as Sigur Ros, EF, Eluvium and Balmorhea which are melodic and peaceful.

May 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #68 of 79

Quote:
Eno does have a certain academic quality that could turn off most listeners of 'modern' ambient, which tends to be more organic and primordial sounding.  You cannot, however, deny the man's influence.

...Academic Quality?

I resent the notion that I am "unacademic", on the basis that you do not know me. I would not consider anyone who attends head-fi to be unacademic . I myself am a jazz conservatorium graduate, so I am essentially the opposite.

Influence is great an all, but if you, at the end of the line, have nothing good to show its not even worthwhile (that is, I will go to those you influenced, if they are good and not you). See: Nirvana (although I honestly think they had one of the worst influences to date, and have turned the radio into a steaming pile of crap).

"onto the other points".
popcorn.gif

Quote:
MoodySteve said:

Nowhere did I say that I always listen to ambient music softly or that I always follow the instructions in a CD liner.  I've had what could only be described as 'cosmic' experiences listening to the right ambient albums in the right frame of mind, but those can't be candidly discussed on this forum.  I simply asserted that your idea (that any listening other than deep, intensive listening in an insult to the artist and therefore deserving of your resentment) is wrong.  I'm saying there are many ways to listen (including the one you listed), you're saying there's one - and I'm the narrow-minded one?
tongue.gif

Nowhere did I say that there is only one way to listen to music, simply that I think seeking out ways to force music into the background is a resentful action (particularly when you consider some of the recommendations).

If you are truly to respect the artist, you are to listen to their artform with the utmost attention. This is my standpoint, take it or leave it instead of acting in a condescending manner.

What you're essentially suggesting is that it is respectful and meaningful to walk into an art museum and only use your periferal vision to observe the paintings/sculptures at all times.

When I say it is "supposed" to be listenned to intently, I refer to my personal experience (what else is there to go on?), and that involves me having far greater experience with ambience whilst listening actively.

Quote:
Drawing a picture, reading a book, napping, discussing, studying and myriad other activities can be greatly enhanced by playing ambient music at a barely audible volume.  This is how many listeners listen to it.  For years, I used low level ambient music to help me fall asleep (mostly Mathias Grassow).

I don't see how this applies only to ambient music. I would also suggest that all good music should be listenned to at quiet volume for the sake of your ears.

I think music can be used to facilitate artforms, but I disagree with the notion that it should be forced into the background. If music is to be used in such a way it should become a part of the process, rather than an additive.

Perhaps, assuming you are doing a planned piece rather than relying on spontanaety, that you should listen and then paint (for example), rather than listening and painting at the same time which would divide working memory.

Quote:
I'll restate for the record - claiming that there is only one way to listen to ambient music, and by extension just about anything, is closed-minded.

Last time I checked I simply said that listening intently is the best way and I resent the notion of putting on music for the purpose of background noise.

Quote:
'Ambient noise' isn't really a music genre - the subgenres of ambient that use electrical noise as the sound source generally fall under 'dark ambient' (see Sleep Research Facility, Lustmord) and there is also noise music (see Merzbow).

I was not referring to a genre, simply making a distinction between things that are designed for noise purposes (i.e. they are designed to be listenned to as background noise), and music (that is, something that is intended to be listenned to). I think everyone here knows about dark ambient (which shouldnt even be a genre, but let's not get into the overlabelling of music) and noise.

You don't need to name drop to impress me, considering I already know all of the bands you have mentioned. Let me namedrop just so I can impress you, Elegi, Nyctalgia, HIA, Pete Namlook. Cheers.

I would appreciate it if you do address me in a negative tone in the future, or anyone else for that matter.

Thanks.

Regardless I wonder if anyone else who listens to ambient is a synaesthesiac?

May 25, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #69 of 79
Best Brian Eno albums, Another Day On Earth and Nerve Net,  neither of which are ambient.........

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #72 of 79
Here's a few selections that haven't been mentioned yet.  These are not marketed as "ambient music", but can serve the function I think the OP is after.

Arvo Part - Alina
Silencio - an ECM compilation
Zoe Keating - One Cello X 16

I can think of one vocal that might fall into this category.  You'll probably either love it or hate it:

Gavin Bryars - Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #73 of 79
Mustard Gas and Roses(MGR)- Wavering on the Cresting Heft
Mustard Gas and Roses(MGR)- Nova Lux

Fantastic ambient/ drone type stuff from Mike Gallagher of Isis fame.  He does almost all of the stuff on these albums with a guitars and effects. 
I use it every time I nap and study.  Very atmospheric.  Great to listen to any time and chill-out

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #75 of 79
Check out Zoe Keating, she does some great things with layers upon layers of her cello, I was surprised to see someone else on the board that knew about her, I just bought her newest album and am enjoying it very much while at work,

Quote:
Here's a few selections that haven't been mentioned yet.  These are not marketed as "ambient music", but can serve the function I think the OP is after.

Arvo Part - Alina
Silencio - an ECM compilation
Zoe Keating - One Cello X 16

I can think of one vocal that might fall into this category.  You'll probably either love it or hate it:

Gavin Bryars - Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back