Can a TV power the Sennheiser HD6XX through the headphones socket without an external amp?
Jul 1, 2020 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Khitzi

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Been lurking and reading for a while, but I've only just registered – so, hello!

I have a question that I cannot find an answer to anywhere online.

I'm very interested in buying a pair of Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX headphones. I will be primarily using them for music on my computer, where I will use a DAC/amp. However, I might also want to use them on my TV when I'm watching Netflix or playing single player games. I don't really want to have to mess around with my audio setup on the TV , so I was wondering if the headphone port on the TV would be enough to power the HD6XX headphones? Is this possible, or am I really going to need an amp for this too?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Hard to say, will not know until you plug the HD6XX into the TV's headphone jack.
My two cents, try and connect the TV's digital output port (optical/coaxial/USB) to the digital input port on the DAC/amp.
Or buy some low Ohm headphones for use with the TV.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 7
Jul 1, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 7
I say give it a try. If it sounds horrible or like something isn't quite right, then stop. The HD 650 may be 300Ω, but they're really not that hard to drive. I'm currently listening to them straight out of my 2014 MacBook Air and they sound great. I've also used them with my Samsung S9 to great effect, with a bit of headroom to spare. "Ideal?" Probably not, but it'll certainly suffice.

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 7
While I agree the 6XX’s aren’t incredibly hard to drive it could possibly be ok don’t know as I don’t have a tv with a headphone out. I have no doubt it will run them but how well is a different story. The 6XX’s can sound fantastic from the right source like a Bottlehead Crack but just haven’t heard them from a tv.

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for all the replies so far.

The other pair I've got my eye on are the HD58X, which I believe are easier to drive (correct me if I’m wrong).

Do you think these would be a safer bet for my use?

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones, at 150-Ohm, easier to drive than the 300-Ohm HD6XX
Thanks for all the replies so far.

The other pair I've got my eye on are the HD58X, which I believe are easier to drive (correct me if I’m wrong).

Do you think these would be a safer bet for my use?
I use my 150-Ohm HD58X everyday :)
And yes, they are easier to drive than the 300-Ohm HD6XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back