Can a Fiio E10 drive DT 770 250 Ohm sufficiently ?
Nov 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bartzy

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Question is in the subject - I bought a Fiio E10 and would like to get the 250 Ohm version of Beyer's DT 770.
Can the E10 drive these headphones with ease?

Thanks for the help.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks,

Does changing to high gain in the E10 have a negative impact on sound quality?

In other discussions, I read that if you combine a high impedance headphones and a small amp, even if the volume is high enough - the headphones will be less "dynamic" (I have no idea what that means).

Is it true for the DT770 250 + E10 ?

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 15
Bump! Anyone? :)

Should I get the 80 ohm or the 250 ohm version if I have the E10 ?

I want to order but am a bit stumped with the Ohm versions (read every thread there is about it...)

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 15

For most people, either should be OK.

And the E10 can drive the 250 ohm version without an issue?

What do you mean by most people? I've heard people saying one thing about the 80 ohm (that it has a warmer sound than the 250 ohm for example), and then other people saying that exact same thing on the 250 ohm version...

Should I just get the cheapest one I can get regardless of 80/250 ?

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 15
Originally Posted by bartzy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What do you mean by most people?

I mean, other than the differences between the two models (coiled vs. straight cord, etc.), for a minority (those who prefer to listen very loud, and/or to very quiet and dynamic recordings), the E10 might not be powerful enough. So, it is not the same for everyone, but you would probably find the E10+DT770-250 combination to sound fine on high gain. I used the same headphones with devices capable of less power output than the E10. If you can get the higher impedance version cheaper - which is often the case - and do not mind the coiled cord, just try it, and decide yourself.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 15
I used the DT990-250 on a Cmoy with no problems at all. I gave them to a friend, who currently uses some Fiio model, I'm not sure which one. Should be fine. People who would have an issue with this combo are people who are used to much more high-end gear. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 15
I'm currently using a JVC HA-RX900 with no amp/dac - so I guess the difference should be big? :)

stv014 - Thing is I cannot take them back after I buy them - I use ebay and the shipping is costly.

Is the 250 ohm version bassy enough? I'm not a real bass head, the bass on the HA-RX900 is fine for me for example.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 15
  I'm currently using a JVC HA-RX900 with no amp/dac - so I guess the difference should be big? :)

stv014 - Thing is I cannot take them back after I buy them - I use ebay and the shipping is costly.

Is the 250 ohm version bassy enough? I'm not a real bass head, the bass on the HA-RX900 is fine for me for example.

Buy both on Amazon, test the setup, and tell by yourself. Best way to do that kind of stuff. The best person to judge for you is, well, you :)

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 15
FWIW the DT-770 80ohm has to be the worst headphone I ever owned.

The bass was bloated and overdone, like a teenagers car stereo with 1000watt amp driving a pair of $50 subs in a bass-reflex enclosure made of 1/2' particle board.

The mids are recessed and muddied horribly by the bass.  

The treble is fatiguing and sibilant.

The only redeeming quality these have is comfort.  But who cares if they are comfortable if you can't stand listening to them?  Beyer makes other model just as comfortable but have much better sound quality.

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 15

The bass was bloated and overdone, like a teenagers car stereo with 1000watt amp driving a pair of $50 subs in a bass-reflex enclosure made of 1/2' particle board.

The only redeeming quality these have is comfort.  But who cares if they are comfortable if you can't stand listening to them?  Beyer makes other model just as comfortable but have much better sound quality.

I've heard so many good things on the DT770, not only from people who like bass.

I have the JVC RX900 and the Creative Aurvana live, and I don't know why - I like the RX900 better, even though the CAL should have better sound quality.
I read that the DT770 are very fun - that's the type of headphone I'm looking for :)

Are you talking about the DT990 when you refer to other Beyer models?

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 15

Sounds like you had an amp with an impedance much higher than the recommended <10 ohm (in the case of the 80 ohm dt 770).

With an amp that doesn't mess up bass quality, the DT770's bass is not at all bloated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back