Can a computer be a decent audiophile source? - The answer is yes.
Jul 1, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #16 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does a good CDP do that a computer can't or doesn't do?

Better clock, bypasses SPDIF circuitry, linear power supply. But to me, CDP's just sound right. Even my SCD-CE595 has something my PC setup was lacking.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #17 of 230
Of course it can! There is no magic here. A CD transport does nothing a computer cannot do. To do it properly might not save you any money, however.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #19 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccotenj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the "audiophile" who believes that nothing sounds as good as vinyl, can tell the difference between power cords, transports, can "hear" differences that aren't measurable, etc. etc., probably not...

Those people are not audiophiles.. They're 'technophiles'..
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #20 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stand alone cd player sounds better. not sure why. but in my system, it does.

My guess is that the standalone CD player has a better DAC than the DAC your PC is using to convert the data stream into a audio stream.

A PC is a nice stable data source but its the sound card/DAC in whatever form that makes a PC a audiophile quality source or a lousy audio source. So if you have a lousy DAC you will have lousy sound quality.

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #21 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question needs to be reversed: can anything other than a computer match its fidelity and flexibility?

It is already a given that a computer is a BETTER source than any CD-based system (due to the inaccuracy of reading CDs in realtime).

Where has this been proven? If CDs are ripped to the computer for storage, wouldn't that have the same inaccuracy by definition?

If downloaded from the internet, I'd expect the source at some point or another were files the same as on a CD but you'd have the possibility of data errors during communication.

That being said, the computer is good enough source but if I want better DAC conversion I leave it to the CDP.

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #22 of 230
The inaccuracy of the computer is offset my a larger sample size. Using error correction, a ripper reads the same data multiple times from different perspectives and relies on an average. A CDP usually just gets the one go at it.

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #23 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What Scrith said!!!!
biggrin.gif

x2, but I find it interesting that my Marantz 2238 hisses whenever I have my laptop around. Which makes me suspect that the laptop is putting out a lot of EM interference. My headphone rig doesn't develop an audible hiss around my laptop and maybe it's phychological, but I always feel that music doesn't sound quite as good when I have my laptop around.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #24 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The inaccuracy of the computer is offset my a larger sample size. Using error correction, a ripper reads the same data multiple times from different perspectives and relies on an average.

What's the error rate on a CD that's not visibly scratched up? Even portable CDPs buffer their reads so that bounces, etc. don't affect the output and produce skips.

I've ripped stuff lossless and still think the CD version sounds better through a CDP, ABing the outputs. YYMV

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #25 of 230
I think a lot of it depends on your DAC used in both situations. A computer based source can, theoretically, be more accurate than a transport that directly reads the disc. However, most cd players have power supplies that are specifically designed for the unit they're in, and are dedicated to that purpose. Computers also generally run a whole host of other applications, all of which tax the hard drive, run the fan, and draw current. All of this adds up to possible sources of noise.

Just because a computer can sound better than a cd player, which it absolutely can, doesn't mean most computers sound better than most CD players. That probably isn't the case.

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computers also generally run a whole host of other applications, all of which tax the hard drive, run the fan, and draw current.

I've got a pretty decent laptop but now and then when it's multitasking and I rip, the quality gets jazzed up so I delete, keep my fingers off the keyboard, and try again. The danged IRQs and Windows hangs...

Yes, I have a Mac too, no need for anyone to tell me about it's superiority. I'm cheap, it's not a notebook, and I can't run Visio/Project on it
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #27 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A computer will never match a good audiophile source. Unless you write "MERIDIAN" across it in big shiny letters, then it can.

If I am not mistaken the Meridian is a computer system packaged inside a box using a buffer system between the CD player and the output devices. This being said there are some advantages to having everything in one box. Clocks and power control are much easier. But with care toward detail one can do much the same with the right equipment and their computer. Then all one would need is a banner over their computer with the word "MERIDIAN" written.
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #28 of 230
It seems that the first point in question is whether there is a difference in quality between a CD reading a Disc in realtime and reading the CD during ripping and then storing the data for later use later.

Let's say that both devices are able to read the data well enough, and buffer enough of the digital stream to successfully avoid pops and drop outs. There should be no difference in the initial digital data stream. Is this a reasonable working assumption?

The CD player then uses its DAC to convert the digital stream for analog output. The same would be done in a typical PC by the soundcard (or onboard sound). The accuracy of the conversion is dependant on the quality and stability of the clock in the DAC. CDPs typically have better DACs than PC sound cards. Is this assumption fair? What other factors might give the CDP an advantage in regards to the DAC?

Once converted to analog the signal is then susceptible to EMI interference. This is of greater significance in a PC than a CDP because of the PCs native environment.

If you take the data off board from the PC using USB and ASIO to an external DAC, can you successfully avoid both of these problems?

Jul 1, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #29 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If downloaded from the internet, I'd expect the source at some point or another were files the same as on a CD but you'd have the possibility of data errors during communication.

Indeed. In fact, it's a little known fact (that the Linux people keep hushed up) that the only reason Windows is unstable, is because of the damned Internet. The Internet keeps giving the wrong files through Windows update and, as such, your computer becomes unstable.

That TCP has it's own data verification (just a basic CRC), nearly all link layers have very good error detection (and correction), that many files are also given with their own checksums (all torrents, for instance) and that pressed CD's are rarely perfect is quite besides the point.

Erm.. yeah, that really isn't something you should worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back