Can a computer be a decent audiophile source? - The answer is yes.
Aug 13, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #226 of 230
PC audio is the way to go for me.

The flexibility, and my introduction to the Benchmark DAC1 USB really sold me.

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #227 of 230
I started experimenting with using a PC as a source a number of years ago. I was never thrilled with the sound until about a year or so ago when I was finally able to surpass the sound quality of my good quality SACD player.

There is excellent software and hardware available now that, combined together, can produce extremely good sound. There are a number of ways of going about it these days. I haven't tried the Benchmark DAC, but I would like to.

On the hardware side I wound up building myself a quiet PC and using a Lynx Two B PCI card directly into the amps. On the software side, I use a package called Thuneau Allocator as a crossover between subs and mains, Foobar with Kernel Streaming output or JRiver with ASIO output. The computer becomes even more valuable with an RTA package like True RTA to measure the room response at the listening position. I can then use a high quality software based parametric equalizer such as the one built into Thuneau or Waves to precisely nail the standing wave bumps in the bass region, and tailor the overall response exactly to my preferences. Complete digital room correction systems are also available (but are not particularly easy to use) under both Windows and Linux.

In the end, I believe a well built, well set up computer with a high quality sound card or external DAC is more cost effective than good quality separate components. The Lynx card has sufficient performance so that I was able to sell a very expensive outboard DAC. The VST software plugins have allowed me to remove my Behringer DEQ 2496 from the system, and the Lynx drives my amps well enough that I removed my tube preamp from the system as well. My SACD player presently sits in its box.

It took me a long time to get a system together that outperformed my SACD player, but now have no wish to go back. (Still want to try the Benchmark though).

Alan

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #228 of 230
Very interesting read thanks aljordan - glad you have joined the forums. Hope you stick around and tell us more about your system and experiences (maybe just the audio related ones
wink.gif
).

Glad to hear you have developed a PC based system that can provide you such quality. I am half way down the same road I think, and am equally curious to try the Benchmark DAC.

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #229 of 230
With the right setup, one's computer system could easily surpass some very expensive dedicated sources in the category of sound quality for a lot less money. Not that this is news to anyone, but hearing is believing. Of course, I still hate being chained to the computer everytime I want to listen to music.

Aug 18, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #230 of 230
imac-> beresford dac -> pioneer a34r/ LD2++ gets 90% of my home listening. Its a beautiful thing to have 500 GB of music a click away. Sound is perfect for me. Its the one area I have no real interest in upgrading (for now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back