Can a computer be a decent audiophile source? - The answer is yes.
Jun 30, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 230
My PC is my audio source via a USB connection to an external DAC/amp and it sounds great.

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 230
It sure can!
A computer playing lossless files through an external DAC can sound really great. My headphone rig use a computer based source, and I simply love it.
lambda.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 230
The question needs to be reversed: can anything other than a computer match its fidelity and flexibility?

It is already a given that a computer is a BETTER source than any CD-based system (due to the inaccuracy of reading CDs in realtime). Any vinyl, while its limitations may be pleasing to some ears and the care put into creating the version of a recording put on vinyl is sometimes better than that put on CD, is known to have lower fidelity than the digital formats a computer is capable of playing.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 230
probably depends on how you define "audiophile"....

for the "audiophile" who believes that nothing sounds as good as vinyl, can tell the difference between power cords, transports, can "hear" differences that aren't measurable, etc. etc., probably not...

for the "audiophile" who listens to music because he/she enjoys it and doesn't obsess over every little thing that "might conceivably" (no matter how unlikely) interfere with their sound quality, the computer is REAL good...

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #13 of 230
A computer will never match a good audiophile source. Unless you write "MERIDIAN" across it in big shiny letters, then it can.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, a computer can be a great source, especially when hooked up to a nice DAC. I feel that it can never match a good CDP though
wink.gif

What does a good CDP do that a computer can't or doesn't do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back