Campfire - Solaris
Jan 10, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #12,031 of 12,035
New Solaris Mercury with Kinera Dromi cable, just because I prefer the aesthetics. Thank you to those that offered input above.

IMG_0124.jpeg
Wow! That's a sweet-looking set-up! Nicely Done! :)

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 10, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #12,033 of 12,035
Regarding sources for Solaris.

I find my Solaris Mercury (2020) a little less than ideal off typical sources with around 1 ohm or less output impedance. The bass is a touch boomy on some music and that seems to bleed into the mids making vocals less crisp and engaging.

Add an iFi IEMatch into the equation, either built in to Go Bar or Gryphon or an inline separate device, and the bass steps back a bit and the vocals clean up nicely. I think the IEMatch increases the output impedance seen by the Solaris to around 2-3 ohms with the 3.5mm or around 4 ohms or a bit more with the 4.4mm, they both seem to have all but the same effect.

Just by way of experimentation I even plugged the Solaris into the volume adjustable line out of the Gryphon and it has the same effect. The very high output impedance of 50 ohms doesn’t seem to have a dramatic adverse effect but it was just a quick listen, the increased output impedance seems to do essentially the same thing beyond a certain point.

I have ordered a 4.4mm 25 ohm impedance adapter to try.

I imagine others have observed this, what do others use as a source for Solaris ?

Mar 10, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #12,034 of 12,035
Regarding sources for Solaris.

I find my Solaris Mercury (2020) a little less than ideal off typical sources with around 1 ohm or less output impedance. The bass is a touch boomy on some music and that seems to bleed into the mids making vocals less crisp and engaging.

Add an iFi IEMatch into the equation, either built in to Go Bar or Gryphon or an inline separate device, and the bass steps back a bit and the vocals clean up nicely. I think the IEMatch increases the output impedance seen by the Solaris to around 2-3 ohms with the 3.5mm or around 4 ohms or a bit more with the 4.4mm, they both seem to have all but the same effect.

Just by way of experimentation I even plugged the Solaris into the volume adjustable line out of the Gryphon and it has the same effect. The very high output impedance of 50 ohms doesn’t seem to have a dramatic adverse effect but it was just a quick listen, the increased output impedance seems to do essentially the same thing beyond a certain point.

I have ordered a 4.4mm 25 ohm impedance adapter to try.

I imagine others have observed this, what do others use as a source for Solaris ?
I have the Solaris OG, 2020 and SE and use them with either a WM1A or MW1Z. I've found that the cable does make a big difference. When I'm using the WM1A I find my DHC Clone Silver (OCC silver) tames the bass and opens up the mids and highs. With the WM1Z I use a DHC Complement C (OCC copper). If I used the Clone Silver it's too much, the details and soundstage can be overwhelming, the Complement C warms it up.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #12,035 of 12,035
I have the Solaris OG, 2020 and SE and use them with either a WM1A or MW1Z. I've found that the cable does make a big difference. When I'm using the WM1A I find my DHC Clone Silver (OCC silver) tames the bass and opens up the mids and highs. With the WM1Z I use a DHC Complement C (OCC copper). If I used the Clone Silver it's too much, the details and soundstage can be overwhelming, the Complement C warms it up.

Thank you,

EDIT: After much testing and comparison the cable made no audible difference for me. The biggest effect on the sound is a slightly higher output impedance of the amp which tightens the bass. On some music with modest bass it doesn’t matter but on some music with a background bass rumble behind the vocals the difference is very pronounced.

IEMatch makes a very significant improvement and 4.4mm is more effective than 3.5mm since 4.4mm has a higher output impedance than the 3.5mm. Luckily I have a Go Bar and Gryphon which both do a lovely job with the Solaris with the IEMatch turned on.

Going to do some experimenting with impedance adapters.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back