Campfire - Solaris
May 31, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #9,091 of 12,035
2020 = 25% lighter
That's quite impressive if they're really 6g.

CFBC23DB-8E80-44AD-8922-058F0CB8520B_1_201_a.jpeg

May 31, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #9,092 of 12,035
I have the M11 Pro as well and don't see the issue with ergonomics. I mean it is squared and all but its not sharp enough to even leave an indent in my hand. Did you get a bad one or something ?

All corners of it feel like I could etch glass with them. I know I sound crazy like surely this guy is just being picky or overreacting but I can't find anything to compare it to. They are raw points of metal like the very tip of a knife. The lower right has that slight inward angle because it's supposed to be in your hand but the point of the rear bottom left corner still pokes you in the palm. It's uncomfortable to hold for any amount of time and even if I try to ignore it and keep working or whatever I always unconsciously put it down on a surface like my body doesn't even want to hold it. The rectangular shape of it and sharp pointed corners are just not ergonomic at all. I am nearly to the point of sending it back to amazon because of it. I saw a lot of reviewers upset that it didn't include a case but really it needs one to just hold it and not for protection.

I don't think ive even bought any consumer device thats been sharp like this especially one you are supposed to hold. It feels incredibly cheap and unprofessional. For $650 you expect at least some common sense here. All of the side and edge angles are straight 90 degree connections of 3 metal panels making points. They should have at least been filed down at the factory.

The issue is that I like how it sounds but its not really winning me over in other areas just yet, so i am still wondering if I can get a similar (or better) sound with another dap. A $5 gel case would probably fix it but should it be necessary on a $650 premium audio accessory?

May 31, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #9,094 of 12,035
All corners of it feel like I could etch glass with them. I know I sound crazy like surely this guy is just being picky or overreacting but I can't find anything to compare it to. They are raw points of metal like the very tip of a knife. The lower right has that slight inward angle because it's supposed to be in your hand but the point of the rear bottom left corner still pokes you in the palm. It's uncomfortable to hold for any amount of time and even if I try to ignore it and keep working or whatever I always unconsciously put it down on a surface like my body doesn't even want to hold it. The rectangular shape of it and sharp pointed corners are just not ergonomic at all. I am nearly to the point of sending it back to amazon because of it. I saw a lot of reviewers upset that it didn't include a case but really it needs one to just hold it and not for protection.

I don't think ive even bought any consumer device thats been sharp like this especially one you are supposed to hold. It feels incredibly cheap and unprofessional. For $650 you expect at least some common sense here. All of the side and edge angles are straight 90 degree connections of 3 metal panels making points. They should have at least been filed down at the factory.

The issue is that I like how it sounds but its not really winning me over in other areas just yet, so i am still wondering if I can get a similar (or better) sound with another dap. A $5 gel case would probably fix it but should it be necessary on a $650 premium audio accessory?

Shanling M6 wasn't bad as well, maybe give that one a shot?

May 31, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #9,096 of 12,035
Nice cable! DHC are truly first class cable co. Real works of art.
Thanks! They are a first class cable co. They are works of art in both looks and also sound quality.

May 31, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #9,098 of 12,035
I have purchase multiple cables from DHC. I have been eyeing the clone for sometime.
I can definitely recommend the Clone Silver. It's a gorgeous looking cable and really brought my Solaris 2020 to a new level over the copper cable I had from them.

May 31, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #9,101 of 12,035
I spent some time today to compare the Solaris OG, Solaris 2020 and Solaris SE. My DAP of choice was my Sony NW-WM1Z running 3.02 Firmware and configured for Region J and in for Direct Source mode. When it came to the cable, I went with the resolution beast, the DHC Clone Silver balanced cable. My coice for tips is the ADV. Eartune Fidelity custom-fit. It provides a comfortable fit, great seal and allows one to easily swap the IEM out without changing the tip insertion and seal.

Tracks listened to:

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash [FLAC 24/96] - Helplessly Hoping
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu [FLAC 24/192] - Carry On
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy Deluxe Edition [FLAC 24/96] - The Sheriff
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac [FLAC 24/96] - World Turning
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours [FLAC 24/96] - Never Going Back Again
Peter Gabriel - So [DSD 2.8 MHz] - Don't Give Up
King Crimson - THRAK 40th Anniversary Series [FLAC 24/96] - B'Boom
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin [FLAC 24/96] - Dazed and Confused
Joni Mitchell - Blue [FLAC 24/192] - California
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine [FLAC 16/44.1]- Down in It
Lou Reed - Transformer [FLAC 24/96]- Walk on the Wild Side
Supertramp - Crime of the Century [FLAC 24/192] - School
Tool - Fear Inoculum [FLAC 24/96] - Chocolate Chip Trip
The Who - Quadrophenia Super Deluxe Edition [FLAC 24/96] - Love Reign O'er Me
Yes - The Yes Album Definitive Edition [FLAC 24/96] - I've Seen All Good People
Neil Young - Harvest [FLAC 24/192] - Old Man

Tracks were chosen based on imaging/soundstage, bass content, vocals, acoustic instruments or dynamic range.

I first listened to every track on the Solaris OG, then switched to the Solaris 2020 and finished with the Solaris SE. During each track I took notes I what I heard.

Let's cut to the chase, in order of preference:

Solaris SE
Solaris 2020
Solaris OG

So what's the difference that made me rank them this way:

To me the Solaris OG is the love child of the Atlas and Andromeda OG. It has the deep impactful bass of the Atlas where you can really feel the deep bass notes. But it has the details of the Andromeda. So a nice overall combination.

I find the Solaris 2020 sound signature to be much closer to the SE than the OG. The first noticable difference between the OG and 2020 is in the bass. When I first compared the SE and OG, I heard the same difference. The bass quantity has decreased but the bass quality has improved by providing more details or information. Where the 2020 shines over the OG is the increase in the details and in the size of the soundstage.

Finally the Solaris SE is my favorite with the NW-WM1Z. I think the combination of the WM1Z and DHC Clone Silver is overloading the high drivers and causing some top end harshness. Once I turn the volume down a couple of numbers (compared to the volume used with the OG and SE) the harshness goes away and reveals amazing details, a wide expansive soundstage and clean detailed bass. I find the SE has deeper bass than the 2020 but not as deep as the OG. So bassheads will prefer the OG. On good recordings, the SE sound is holographic and imersive.

So I find the Solaris 2020 is be a good upgrade over the OG by improving on the details and creating a larger soundstage. By also making the 2020 smaller it's more comfortable to wear and I can see how what went into it's design could be used to create a custom Solaris. So @KB when is the custom Solaris going to be available? Sign me up.

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #9,102 of 12,035
My 2020s will arrive at some point this week and I am looking forward to them, as I loved the OGs but ultimately couldn't live with their size.

However, aslfter reading the last few pages of this thread, I have a confession : I will be using the cable they come with, and plugging them into my LG V30 phone, not a DAP.

I realise this makes me a complete freak, do you think you could ever forgive me?

Sailing in the same boat with LG V30 and waiting for the solaris 2020, whereas mine might be delayed a bit. Really look forward to your first impressions especially regarding drivability as the impedance has changed a bit from the OG

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #9,103 of 12,035
After living with my 2020 for a while, I can say I thoroughly enjoy it. I haven't done an A/B with my OG Solaris, but the 2020 has sparkle and deep lows I don't remember getting from the OG. This is contrary to some reviews I've seen so maybe I never quite realized the full potential of my OG because of its size/fit. Speaking of, the 2020 offers me something I could never even consider from the OG ... I can listen to it at night in bed ... even on my side. For me, this is a requirement of any top-tier IEM I intend to keep in my rotation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back