Campfire - Solaris
May 16, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #8,401 of 12,035
Hi, which foam tips are included with Solaris? Marshmallow tips? Looking for replacement.

I normally use medium foam tips, but with Solaris I'm using the small ones... Any other suggestion in foam? Comply seems doesn't have a specific model for our babies.

Thanks in advance.
I have tried various of tips. Surprisingly, the Medium Marshmallow tips comes with the Solaris is the best. I noticed there is some special coating on this marshmallow tips which might be the reason why this foam tip does not roll off treble and does bring mids forward.

May 16, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #8,402 of 12,035
@IAMTHEEGGMAN I generally use foam as well when I’m not using the Sedna tip. I found some on ebay that I like quite a bit. They’re different from comply and the marshmallows. The density is different and keeps the treble and mids in tact all the while keeping the soundstage large. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-3-pair...In-Ear-Earphone/173499907178?var=472191075707
Symbio also released some foam tips which look like a good option.i just ordered them. I saw twister6 is using them on his elysium. They’re on sale as well. https://symbioeartips.com/termek/symbio-f-3pairs/

The Symbio foams are very good, especially on the Atlas. On the Solaris they are also good but I did notice a very slight treble attenuation. The comfort was off the charts though. I moved back to the Spiraldot ++'s as these don't attenuate the treble and opens the soundstage up a bit more... also by far the most comfortable silicones i've tried.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #8,403 of 12,035
The Symbio foams are very good, especially on the Atlas. On the Solaris they are also good but I did notice a very slight treble attenuation. The comfort was off the charts though. I moved back to the Spiraldot ++'s as these don't attenuate the treble and opens the soundstage up a bit more... also by far the most comfortable silicones i've tried.
I find them to stiff , I get some pain in the ear from that tips after 1h use

May 16, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #8,404 of 12,035
I find them to stiff , I get some pain in the ear from that tips after 1h use

Oh really? That sucks. Sounds like an issue I had when a tip was slightly too big for the left side and the right side was perfect. Blackbird foam tips are like a nice middle ground between the comply and the symbio F’s. They expand like a comply (slow and a little sticky) but aren’t porous on the outside. Worth a look if you’re insistent on foam! And they are going for dirt cheap on hifi headphones at the moment.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #8,407 of 12,035
@circafreedom Large (s30 model), comes in a pack of four too which is quite generous given the price and when compared to the competition. From left to right; Blackbird, Comply, Dekoni, Symbio F, Campfire marshmallows (all in large)

D7736B01-591B-4CEF-A870-16F3ED90A233.jpeg

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #8,408 of 12,035
Solaris 2020 has arrived. First impressions are good. Similar to what I remember hearing of the SE (though obviously can't make a direct comparison).

Fit is definitely better than the SE I tried, but I think I'll have to do some tip rolling as I can already feel a hot spot developing. Will definitely have to do some tip rolling and play with placement in my ears. They are still fairly hefty, but I could immediately tell the size was better than I remembered from the SE.

The finish is definitely glossier than I expected. These are fingerprint magnets, and mine are already covered in fingerprints.

Cable is quite nice. I always liked campfires cables especially the more recent smoky litz and the super smoky litz adds a bit of heft without getting too big to be uncomfortable.

Sound is really good. Still not 100% if it's my preferred sig out of the higher end stuff I have, but compared to the trio and z1r I expect they are all going to end sounding fairly similar, with the Solaris probably coming out as the most neutral/flat sounding. Soundstage is excellent, though I would say probably comparable to the trio and z1r. Haven't done any direct comparisons yet, but I will get around to it. Anyone interested feel free to check my sig and ask for a comparison.

There is also definitely hiss with these on the n6ii e01. It's not that bad, and definitely can't be heard except during quiet parts of songs, but when the amp clicks off it's very noticeable that there was hiss. Might try the a01 and see how it does, plus I always have my iematch as well.

May 16, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #8,409 of 12,035
Solaris 2020 has arrived. First impressions are good. Similar to what I remember hearing of the SE (though obviously can't make a direct comparison).

Fit is definitely better than the SE I tried, but I think I'll have to do some tip rolling as I can already feel a hot spot developing. Will definitely have to do some tip rolling and play with placement in my ears. They are still fairly hefty, but I could immediately tell the size was better than I remembered from the SE.

The finish is definitely glossier than I expected. These are fingerprint magnets, and mine are already covered in fingerprints.

Cable is quite nice. I always liked campfires cables especially the more recent smoky litz and the super smoky litz adds a bit of heft without getting too big to be uncomfortable.

Sound is really good. Still not 100% if it's my preferred sig out of the higher end stuff I have, but compared to the trio and z1r I expect they are all going to end sounding fairly similar, with the Solaris probably coming out as the most neutral/flat sounding. Soundstage is excellent, though I would say probably comparable to the trio and z1r. Haven't done any direct comparisons yet, but I will get around to it. Anyone interested feel free to check my sig and ask for a comparison.

There is also definitely hiss with these on the n6ii e01. It's not that bad, and definitely can't be heard except during quiet parts of songs, but when the amp clicks off it's very noticeable that there was hiss. Might try the a01 and see how it does, plus I always have my iematch as well.

Looking forward to hearing more relative to the Trio and AG. I'm really curious to hear if there's significant technical improvements over the AG that are distinct from what the Trio brings to the table. Thank you for the impressions ahead of time!

May 16, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #8,410 of 12,035
Looking forward to hearing more relative to the Trio and AG. I'm really curious to hear if there's significant technical improvements over the AG that are distinct from what the Trio brings to the table. Thank you for the impressions ahead of time!
I sometimes wonder if I have the chops for this... Also why I don't really do any reviews.

Because... All 3 sound extremely similar to me. Also probably means it's a good time to slim down the collection as I think that even though there are differences, theres likely too much similarity here, plus this is a lot of money to have spent...

I have also done a comparison with the trio and ag in another thread. And the conclusion there was basically that the trio feels better detailed, and better extended on both ends than the ag, with a little extra bass and treble emphasis making it sound slightly more v shaped to me. I see you already have both so I don't know if that matches with your conclusions or not.

Throwing the Solaris into the mix I would say overall it has a very similar signature to the android gold (maybe not counting any individual peaks or spikes, which I find harder to detect). One thing I noted with the ag vs the trio is that the treble has a tiny bit of a grainy feel to it, maybe due to not using crossovers. It adds a bit of texture, but it's less smooth. The Solaris feels smoother there. I would say soundstage on the gold falls slightly behind the trio, with the Solaris feeling relatively similar to the trio. More holographic and a better sense of space than the ag, if only by a small amount.

Bass is I think the real difference. Mid bass may be slightly boosted on the gold, maybe, but there's I think there's some falloff in the subbass. There's maybe slightly more of a thump with the ag, but the Solaris goes deeper and feels more full and physical, even if maybe bass overall is ever so slightly less emphasized. Maybe?

I'm trying real hard to come up with differences, so just keep in mind that everything I am describing here is very small, like marginal differences. Maybe some slight timbre differences too between them, but I am definitely struggling to pick out exactly how they differ.

I would say the trio and Solaris are likely playing at a higher level than the gold, if only just. With the trio being the most v shaped, by virtue of just having a bit more bass and treble energy.

Things to consider for everyone who might read. Solaris are new out of the box with maybe 1 hour of playtime. Ag have some decent use on them, and the trio also has some decent use. For those who care about potential burn in (I don't really believe). I tried to volume match best as I could. Solaris and ag produce very similar volume levels at the same level on my dap. So I left volume the same (24 mid gain, cayin n6ii e01 for anyone interested). Trio needed somewhere around 42 to get to a similar volume level. Both ag and Solaris hiss. Hiss is worse with the ag. No hiss at all with trio.

Tips are...
Medium (red) spinfit cp100 2019 version on ag. LL final e on Solaris. Large spinfit cp155 (I think) with spinfit adapter on trio.

Comfort is an easy win for me to the ag. They just kind of disappear into my ears. The trio are pretty good too, but a. It larger so I had to do a lot of tip rolling (still haven't settled 100% on a cable, too bad there's no 2 pin smoky litz). Jury is out on the Solaris. They seem relatively comfortable, but I have them with a super shallow fit and angled slightly forward they seem fine, but a full work day will be the judge.

Is the Solaris a worthy upgrade over the gold? I think so. It feels like the gold is just a slightly less refined version, plus dd bass on the Solaris. Is it worth it to have both? Probably not. So if you are happy with the trio/ag combo you'll definitely be happy with the trio/solaris combo. But I'm also not sure it's really worth it to have both the trio and Solaris either. Guess it comes down to valuing something a bit flatter or something a bit more v shaped.

I should also say I think I still prefer the sound of the z1r over all of these, but fit there sucks. It just has such smooth yet detailed treble and such beautiful bass that it's hard for me find something better.

And lastly, for now, a size comparison between the 3.

IMG_20200516_141331__01.jpg

May 16, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #8,411 of 12,035
I sometimes wonder if I have the chops for this... Also why I don't really do any reviews.

Because... All 3 sound extremely similar to me. Also probably means it's a good time to slim down the collection as I think that even though there are differences, theres likely too much similarity here, plus this is a lot of money to have spent...

I have also done a comparison with the trio and ag in another thread. And the conclusion there was basically that the trio feels better detailed, and better extended on both ends than the ag, with a little extra bass and treble emphasis making it sound slightly more v shaped to me. I see you already have both so I don't know if that matches with your conclusions or not.

Throwing the Solaris into the mix I would say overall it has a very similar signature to the android gold (maybe not counting any individual peaks or spikes, which I find harder to detect). One thing I noted with the ag vs the trio is that the treble has a tiny bit of a grainy feel to it, maybe due to not using crossovers. It adds a bit of texture, but it's less smooth. The Solaris feels smoother there. I would say soundstage on the gold falls slightly behind the trio, with the Solaris feeling relatively similar to the trio. More holographic and a better sense of space than the ag, if only by a small amount.

Bass is I think the real difference. Mid bass may be slightly boosted on the gold, maybe, but there's I think there's some falloff in the subbass. There's maybe slightly more of a thump with the ag, but the Solaris goes deeper and feels more full and physical, even if maybe bass overall is ever so slightly less emphasized. Maybe?

I'm trying real hard to come up with differences, so just keep in mind that everything I am describing here is very small, like marginal differences. Maybe some slight timbre differences too between them, but I am definitely struggling to pick out exactly how they differ.

I would say the trio and Solaris are likely playing at a higher level than the gold, if only just. With the trio being the most v shaped, by virtue of just having a bit more bass and treble energy.

Things to consider for everyone who might read. Solaris are new out of the box with maybe 1 hour of playtime. Ag have some decent use on them, and the trio also has some decent use. For those who care about potential burn in (I don't really believe). I tried to volume match best as I could. Solaris and ag produce very similar volume levels at the same level on my dap. So I left volume the same (24 mid gain, cayin n6ii e01 for anyone interested). Trio needed somewhere around 42 to get to a similar volume level. Both ag and Solaris hiss. Hiss is worse with the ag. No hiss at all with trio.

Tips are...
Medium (red) spinfit cp100 2019 version on ag. LL final e on Solaris. Large spinfit cp155 (I think) with spinfit adapter on trio.

Comfort is an easy win for me to the ag. They just kind of disappear into my ears. The trio are pretty good too, but a. It larger so I had to do a lot of tip rolling (still haven't settled 100% on a cable, too bad there's no 2 pin smoky litz). Jury is out on the Solaris. They seem relatively comfortable, but I have them with a super shallow fit and angled slightly forward they seem fine, but a full work day will be the judge.

Is the Solaris a worthy upgrade over the gold? I think so. It feels like the gold is just a slightly less refined version, plus dd bass on the Solaris. Is it worth it to have both? Probably not. So if you are happy with the trio/ag combo you'll definitely be happy with the trio/solaris combo. But I'm also not sure it's really worth it to have both the trio and Solaris either. Guess it comes down to valuing something a bit flatter or something a bit more v shaped.

I should also say I think I still prefer the sound of the z1r over all of these, but fit there sucks. It just has such smooth yet detailed treble and such beautiful bass that it's hard for me find something better.

They really did shrink down Solaris 2020. My only concern now would be nozzle thickness/insertion depth; I have small ear canals :frowning2:

May 16, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #8,413 of 12,035
They really did shrink down Solaris 2020. My only concern now would be nozzle thickness/insertion depth; I have small ear canals :frowning2:
Yes, the overall profile of the Solaris is about the same as their other iems now, but it's definitely still thicker/heftier and the stem area is noticeably thicker. Overall I think it makes a big difference from the SE, I remember feeling immediate discomfort when I tried the SE, but these are doing well for me.

As for insertion depth, I personally have trouble getting deeper insertion with most iems anyways, and due to these being wider down near the bottom of the ear, they definitely aren't going to be as ergonomic of a fit as some others might be like the trio or ag. Which I think can affect insertion depth.

I know there are plenty of comparison images out there, but here's another directly to the ag and trio that might be helpful.

IMG_20200516_142954__01.jpg

May 16, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #8,414 of 12,035

Tips are...

Thank you very much for your impressions! This is exactly the type of comparison that I was looking for :) Regarding my own take on the AG/Trio differences, I think I am in full agreement with what you've described. Other than the obvious sub-bass difference, where I find the differences between the Trio and AG are in the mids and in the texture of the highs (just as you mentioned that the high-end has a different timbre to it on the AG). The AG puts the mids a bit more forward in a way that I find complementary to the Trio signature. In a sense this is what I would want to complement the Trio's and was curious if the Solaris would be better at than the AG.

Anyway, thanks for the succinct and prompt comparisons, and for what it's worth I'd definitely read a review of yours!

May 16, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #8,415 of 12,035
Thank you very much for your impressions! This is exactly the type of comparison that I was looking for :) Regarding my own take on the AG/Trio differences, I think I am in full agreement with what you've described. Other than the obvious sub-bass difference, where I find the differences between the Trio and AG are in the mids and in the texture of the highs (just as you mentioned that the high-end has a different timbre to it on the AG). The AG puts the mids a bit more forward in a way that I find complementary to the Trio signature. In a sense this is what I would want to complement the Trio's and was curious if the Solaris would be better at than the AG.

Anyway, thanks for the succinct and prompt comparisons, and for what it's worth I'd definitely read a review of yours!
In that case, for you, the Solaris may indeed prove a worthy upgrade. It's different enough than the trio, and mids are one area there that I didn't really mention. I think they are more forward in the mix compared to the trio, in a similar way to the ag.

However take most with a grain of salt here as I likely need significantly more time to form full opinions here. I just wanted to give some first impressions.

Case in point. Been listening to the Solaris alone for the last hour or so since I wrote up those impressions and switched to a different type of music. When switching back over to the ag, it felt noticeably leaner than the solaris whereas before things seemed closer. The Solaris feels more full through the bass and into the mids. That's a more clear win for me for the Solaris.

Still may need to do more of a direct comparison with the trio without the ag in the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back