Campfire - Solaris
May 14, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #8,311 of 12,035
Screenshot_20200514-102139.png
Screenshot_20200514-102158.png
Screenshot_20200514-102210.png
Screenshot_20200514-102128.png

May 14, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #8,312 of 12,035
Very excited for these impressions. I would love to hear a comparison with the Trio/AG as I may consider selling my AG to fund a Solaris 2020 and would prefer to minimize redundancy in my IEMs.
I don't have any special standing in the community and just did regular shipping so I am assuming it'll probably be close to two weeks before I have them. But I will happily give some impressions.

The Andromeda gold has sort of been on the chopping block for me for a while now. As good as they are, I definitely have learned that my preferences lean towards a more substantial low end, and my experience has told me that a DD for the lows is definitely something I prefer. They also seem to come alive at higher volumes, but I traditionally prefer lower volume so I don't blast my eardrums out. They are also just super comfortable for me.

But we shall see how I feel when the Solaris comes in.

May 14, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #8,313 of 12,035
...The website says "Hand selected natural abalone inlays". So if yours is more than one piece, stop you bitching and sell it or just enjoy the remarkable sound. I bought my SE for the sound. The abalone inlay was never my concern.

I don't have a dog on either side and I'm interested in the Solaris 2020 with the smaller size. However if a steak was advertised as "hand selected cut of natural free range cow", I would take that statement from more of a marketing stand point and not a technical one. And would be outraged if the steak was put together from multiple bits. The abalone inlay may not be your concern but that does not dismiss someone's expectation of the $1900 item they receive to look like the spectacular example shown on their website. TBH the ones that has a clear stitched look should be advertised as so at a discounted stock-B rate.

May 14, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #8,314 of 12,035
I kinda like the Gold Solaris. I wish they made the original color smaller or at least offer 2020 model in both colors.

May 14, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #8,319 of 12,035
Here are my 2 cents on the ongoing debates (as in my opinion there are 2 different ones):

First of all: I honestly don't understand people complaining about CA moving forward so fast with its new products...

When you acquire a pair IEMs because you like how they sound, why exactly would it be a negative thing for you that their manufacturer issues new IEMs soon after?

The fact that your pair of IEMs are not the "newest" or "best" ones anymore does not affect the way they sound, and the fact that you like how they sound...Your pair of IEMs still work exactly as they did before... And you are certainly not forced in any way to buy the newer ones...

I feel like basically, people who complain are those that actually need to feel like they have the "best" / TOTL product on the market... To those people, the fact that a new (theoretically "better") product is issued is a problem, because that means that the product that they have acquired is suddenly not the best anymore.

To those people (and especially to those that do not have unlimited financial ressources), my advice would be to try and let that "psychological thing" go...

However, I agree with the people that complain about CA having increased the number of Solaris SE.

As I already possessed a pair of Solaris (OG), I would definitely not have purchased a pair of Solaris SE if it was not a "limited edition", as this meant to me that I would probably be able to resell them later on without losing too much money.

For CA to increase the number of produced Solaris SE from 750 to 900 makes them a little bit less "limited", and reduces my chances of reselling them later on without losing too much money.

To me, it goes without saying that when you purchase a "limited edition" product (and pay a higher price because of the fact that it is a "limited edition"), you are allowed to expect the manufacturer to keep the edition limited, indeed!

People are not complaining about CA moving forward so fast, but releasing products developed based on limited editions. People who purchased SE is for the uniqueness of the ceramics chamber, the abalone panel, and the sound. After the release of the Solaris 2020, the only thing unique about SE is that lottery abalone panel, which means you pay $400 only for that panel which can be found about under $10 at aliexpress.

May 14, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #8,320 of 12,035
Lesson learned: If CFA releases a special version with a better sound, wait until the new product comes out.

May 14, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #8,323 of 12,035
I was just about to order a 2.5 cable from campfire the smoky litz but they are out of stock at the moment.
Why not just get a used super litz at headfi?

May 14, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #8,324 of 12,035
I was just about to order a 2.5 cable from campfire the smoky litz but they are out of stock at the moment.

Wait until the black Friday sale or any other sale and you should be able to pick one up for around 1/3 of the normal price. Regret not picking up a super litz in 2.5 termination in the easter sale to be honest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back