Campfire - Solaris
May 13, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #8,176 of 12,035
I will try:

No other IEM maker in the Head-Fi community is more frequently mentioned than Campfire Audio. So let's take a deeper look at this premium brand. Behind Campfire Audio there is ALO Audio with years and years of experience in development of top-notch headphone amps and cables. After what seemed like ages they started to develop IEMs and some years ago they came up with the Andromeda. With this day everything changed in Portland.
Thanks to Headphone Company we're about to present you three new models in this special (note: this story). From the outside the Andromeda 2020 looks the same as its predecessor. But from the inside a lot of changes have happened. The acoustic chamber is made of carbon to eliminate vibrations. This design has been introduced in 2019 with the Solaris SE and Andromeda Gold models. It features again all balanced armature design, but tuned to a more musical signature. It's still a typical Andromeda, crystal clear, but with a tad more flesh to the bones. The extra punch suits the Andromeda 2020 very well, and it's again a big shot.
Another bestseller from Campfire Audio is the Solaris which received also a makeover. It features the same acoustic chamber made from carbon like the Andromeda 2020 and the fitting has been been revamped. It's now more compact and fits your ear way better which makes it more comfortable to wear. To summarize the strengths of the new Solaris 2020 Headphone Company says: "Soundwise the Solaris 2020 is going to the next stage. It combines precision with emotions on the same level like only a few other headphones do. This is as good as it gets."
The latest model that joined the family is called Ara and we're proud to receive a sample before the new model hits the market. The acoustic chamber is also made of carbon and it features seven balanced armature drivers, very similar to the Andromeda, but it features two additional bass drivers. The first impression is very persuasive. The Ara jumps right in between the Andromeda 2020 and the Solaris 2020. Something that we call "Trio Infernale".
You might ask "Which one is the best?" Well, it depends. Go and find out (at Headphone Company).

Thanks so much! I appreciate it.

May 13, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #8,177 of 12,035
I will try:

No other IEM maker in the Head-Fi community is more frequently mentioned than Campfire Audio. So let's take a deeper look at this premium brand. Behind Campfire Audio there is ALO Audio with years and years of experience in development of top-notch headphone amps and cables. After what seemed like ages they started to develop IEMs and some years ago they came up with the Andromeda. With this day everything changed in Portland.
Thanks to Headphone Company we're about to present you three new models in this special (note: this story). From the outside the Andromeda 2020 looks the same as its predecessor. But from the inside a lot of changes have happened. The acoustic chamber is made of carbon to eliminate vibrations. This design has been introduced in 2019 with the Solaris SE and Andromeda Gold models. It features again all balanced armature design, but tuned to a more musical signature. It's still a typical Andromeda, crystal clear, but with a tad more flesh to the bones. The extra punch suits the Andromeda 2020 very well, and it's again a big shot.
Another bestseller from Campfire Audio is the Solaris which received also a makeover. It features the same acoustic chamber made from carbon like the Andromeda 2020 and the fitting has been been revamped. It's now more compact and fits your ear way better which makes it more comfortable to wear. To summarize the strengths of the new Solaris 2020 Headphone Company says: "Soundwise the Solaris 2020 is going to the next stage. It combines precision with emotions on the same level like only a few other headphones do. This is as good as it gets."
The latest model that joined the family is called Ara and we're proud to receive a sample before the new model hits the market. The acoustic chamber is also made of carbon and it features seven balanced armature drivers, very similar to the Andromeda, but it features two additional bass drivers. The first impression is very persuasive. The Ara jumps right in between the Andromeda 2020 and the Solaris 2020. Something that we call "Trio Infernale".
You might ask "Which one is the best?" Well, it depends. Go and find out (at Headphone Company).
Ahh **** me. I sold me Andromeda because it felt too bass-lite and my Solaris SE because it was too big. I feel like these changes were targeted to me 😩. What do I do...

May 13, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #8,179 of 12,035
Ahh **** me. I sold me Andromeda because it felt too bass-lite and my Solaris SE because it was too big. I feel like these changes were targeted to me 😩. What do I do...

You buy both those suckers and you give us a detailed impression of their sound changes, thats what you do.

May 13, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #8,181 of 12,035
I will try:

Thank you for the translation! Appreciate it !

May 13, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #8,182 of 12,035
If I remember correctly the Andromeda Gold used the standard TAEC chamber material and not the Ceramic / Carbon like these new models and the MW Andro or Solaris SE. I'll be keeping an eye on that Ara to see if it can combine the best of MW Andro and the Gold.... should be interesting.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #8,183 of 12,035
Of course it’s just my preference!

I owned a few in my life, but none gave me the pleasure and emotional transfer that Solaris has.
It’s obviously a very personal choice.
I agree with you there is something special about Solaris which is the ability to express emotions. I only wish the next version of Solaris can have a more extended treble and more resolution in mids and highs.

May 13, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #8,184 of 12,035
I agree with you there is something special about Solaris which is the ability to express emotions. I only wish the next version of Solaris can have a more extended treble and more resolution in mids and highs.

what cable are you using with them?
I can recommend the ALO Audio SXC8 to help with that if you haven’t tried. I personally prefer a softer treble and have been using a forza audio works hybrid copper cable with my Solaris and love it, but I still use the SXC8 when I need a big more excitement :)

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #8,185 of 12,035
If I remember correctly the Andromeda Gold used just the standard TAEC chambers and no Ceramic / Carbon like the MW Andro or Solaris SE. I'll be keeping an eye on that Ara to see if it can combine the best of MW Andro and the Gold.... should be interesting.
The official marketing material for the gold said

"By shaping the acoustic performance of our selected drivers with our 3D printed acoustic chambers, the raw energy of musical performance is faithfully reproduced."

So hard to tell if that just means taec (since taec are acoustic chambers if I understand correctly), or if it's something more in depth.

One of the big selling points too is that it was crossoverless, so who knows if that will carry over as well or if that required more use of acoustic chambers beyond taec.

Either way for me, I'll be eyeing the new Solaris. I heard the se, but fit was bad for me and I personally could have used a bit more low end. So a better fitting one is definitely interesting, though I did tell myself I was out of the game for a while

May 13, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #8,186 of 12,035
The official marketing material for the gold said

"By shaping the acoustic performance of our selected drivers with our 3D printed acoustic chambers, the raw energy of musical performance is faithfully reproduced."

So hard to tell if that just means taec (since taec are acoustic chambers if I understand correctly), or if it's something more in depth.

One of the big selling points too is that it was crossoverless, so who knows if that will carry over as well or if that required more use of acoustic chambers beyond taec.

Either way for me, I'll be eyeing the new Solaris. I heard the se, but fit was bad for me and I personally could have used a bit more low end. So a better fitting one is definitely interesting, though I did tell myself I was out of the game for a while

I just had a look on the official page, there was no mention of a different material being used for the TAEC. They would have definitely put this in the marketing if it was the case else it seems like a bit of a waste of a valuable USP. But yeah, interested to see if they use crossover-less in this one too!

May 13, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #8,189 of 12,035
I just had a look on the official page, there was no mention of a different material being used for the TAEC. They would have definitely put this in the marketing if it was the case else it seems like a bit of a waste of a valuable USP. But yeah, interested to see if they use crossover-less in this one too!
True, it does mention taec way down in the specifications so I guess that's it, whereas Solaris specifically mentioned taec as well as other acoustic chambers.

So perhaps the ara itself is something in-between. Maybe it has a similar driver config as the gold, but with acoustic chambers and crossovers.

Who knows. Guess we will get the official info tomorrow.

May 13, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #8,190 of 12,035
Hi guys, I just bought a Campfire Solaris SE and Meze Audio 2.5 cable. I was surprised that on sp2000, volume 1 would be too loud for me. Is that normal?

Solaris are ridiculously sensitive IEMs and you're using them with the 2.5 output, which probably has more power. Either use them 3.5 or buy an IEMatch to solve this issue.

I wouldn’t do that unless you’re unhappy with the SE. I think it’s going to be a variation on the same flavor (in a good way): if it sounded that much different from the OG of SE then why call it Solaris, you know?

We are talking about the same CA that has released the AG, S, and MW10 versions of the Andromeda, all with noticeable differences, so you never know 😅.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back