Campfire - Solaris
Feb 24, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #3,662 of 12,035
Using a phone top or not with Solaris for me must be like having a Ferrari with bycicle tires
I would disagree (haven't heard the Solaris) that the difference is that huge, for example some DAPs are even more prone to hiss than "just a phones". For formats like 320 mp3/256 AAC the difference is negligible to my ears (DAPs have slightly better dynamics), DAPs are better for EQ IEMs though.

Feb 24, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #3,663 of 12,035
For phone users, the tiny Hidizs Sonata II dongle gives a very good sound with the Solaris for the cost/portability.

Feb 24, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #3,664 of 12,035
I have tried the Solaris with the Iphone X - Lighting Dongle, and Samsung S8+ and let me be clear.. neither of these phones' outputs come anywhere close to the Chord Mojo, let alone the Sony WM1Z.
Perhaps the LG V30 is okay, but I very much doubt it matches the Chord Mojo

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #3,666 of 12,035
I would disagree (haven't heard the Solaris) that the difference is that huge, for example some DAPs are even more prone to hiss than "just a phones". For formats like 320 mp3/256 AAC the difference is negligible to my ears (DAPs have slightly better dynamics), DAPs are better for EQ IEMs though.
I respect that, but is more life beyond hiss, there are recordings with hiss, that is not a absolute factor and if people ears most mp3 320 or 256 yes listen with cell phones and be happy

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #3,667 of 12,035
I have tried the Solaris with the Iphone X - Lighting Dongle, and Samsung S8+ and let me be clear.. neither of these phones' outputs come anywhere close to the Chord Mojo, let alone the Sony WM1Z.

100%! Maybe a phone and a portable amp but with solaris you'll probably have hiss with that route. I think my shanling m0 sounds better than my s8. Never heard the lg but if I was planning on using my phone as a dap, that would be the phone I get.

Imo the totl daps like wm1z, sp1000, lgpt are night and day compared to a phone. I've been lucky enough to try them all. Even a more affordable dap like the dx150 I was very impressed with.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #3,668 of 12,035
Solaris sounds bad with the Mojo though
Purely matching wise, I prefer LG V35 more than Mojo

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #3,669 of 12,035
I respect that, but is more life beyond hiss, there are recordings with hiss, that is not a absolute factor and if people ears most mp3 320 or 256 yes listen with cell phones and be happy

I don’t deny that there is zero difference. As for the hiss, I meant that I’ve found more impedance mismatch to have more of a bad impact on sound with sensitive IEMs using DAPs + IEMs combo than phone + IEMs combo. Honestly, listening to electro, dance or trance I won’t recognize the difference between lossy and lossless (I definitely don’t want to open up this discussion, because it’s never ending controversy between audio enthusiasts), but as for the “clean instrument”, orchestra or solo vocals the DAP is being noticeably ahead of phones.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #3,670 of 12,035

Since there's no Vega to compare..... Atlas will try to match in... well I can say from the beginning, if we only talk about Low freq only, is already different league.... Atlas will be very hard to beat, in term of Bass, sub bass, Mid Low... keep in mind, that Solaris Low is Good and detail....

Just sharing some suggestions that I got from the Store keeper, If you want to Foward the Mid in Atlas, use ALO CV5, the wonder of that DAC/AmP, really make vocal / Mid foward...
Have you ever tried the atlas with Ref 8? Would be curious to see if it opens the Atlas to almost approach Solaris in terms of separation and imaging

Feb 24, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #3,672 of 12,035
Have you ever tried the atlas with Ref 8? Would be curious to see if it opens the Atlas to almost approach Solaris in terms of separation and imaging

Tempting idea. I will try if I have the chance....

Was doing Eartip rolling, if you want to hear better separation & Imaging with current Solaris stock, use the foam tip that come with. it will make a better separation and Imaging, but with the reduce a lot in Spark and punchy bass.

using Foam tips on Solaris, make Mid foward, with the sub bass and High mid excel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back