Campfire - Solaris
Nov 5, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #1,051 of 12,035
Only a day in with the Solaris, so I can't really say much at the moment. Flamenco is amazing but really intense... (especially with all switches on) With my limited listening, all I can say for now is the sound stage, layering, and bass differ for sure on the Solaris in a very good way, but the micro details on the Flamenco were so crisp and clean in neutral mode, (mids were amazing, miss it a little) also loved that you can vary the sounds with the switches.

But I need a lot more time with the Solaris to really say anything of value :) it seems like the perfect all-arounder which I think is more of what I was looking for

Also digging these spinfits for the Solaris

IMG_2404.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,052 of 12,035
Only a day in with the Solaris, so I can't really say much at the moment. Flamenco is amazing but really intense... (especially with all switches on) With my limited listening, all I can say for now is the sound stage, layering, and bass differ for sure on the Solaris in a very good way, but the micro details on the Flamenco were so crisp and clean in neutral mode, (mids were amazing, miss it a little) also loved that you can vary the sounds with the switches.

But I need a lot more time with the Solaris to really say anything of value :) it seems like the perfect all-arounder which I think is more of what I was looking for

Also digging these spinfits for the Solaris

These?

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,053 of 12,035
Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #1,055 of 12,035
Does it maintain the bore diameter throughout? I will likely try those too, but I don't want to affect the sound too much.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #1,057 of 12,035
Solaris is at least 2-2.5x as good as Andro. Andro is good, but kinda boring. Great at being an entry level TOTL of sorts, with it's own shortcomings. Solaris has none. Not hype. It's a new product that Ken and team have made after years of experience with the Andro and others. Why wouldn't it be better? Experience and time = great products. The Andro was the first real homerun that CA had. Solaris will be the second. But they're not even close and I don't think should be compared.

Of course something better will come along. But that's par for the course with anything.

Oh wow, I always though Solaris uses the same 2 high freq & 1 mid BA drivers with Andromeda S.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #1,058 of 12,035
Oh wow, I always though Solaris uses the same 2 high freq & 1 mid BA drivers with Andromeda S.
High drivers are same but tuned differently so they aren't as treble heavy as the Andro. Solaris mid driver is ported which is new

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #1,059 of 12,035
Just tried Symbio and Spiral Dots, too much treble for me especially the Symbio. I am happy with my Comply Foam all day everyday

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #1,060 of 12,035
Well I have a CMA600i at home and that trounces any DAP. I am not carrying 2 devices on the go so a DAP is pointless. Also, there was a big difference between stock and Ref 8 cable on my LG V35
Sony zx300 is tiny. And SQ is phenomenal. 20 hours battery.
I would take a serious look at that.

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #1,061 of 12,035
Sony zx300 is tiny. And SQ is phenomenal. 20 hours battery.
I would take a serious look at that.
Doesn't look very high end. Might not be a significant upgrade over my LG V35 which already has a very good DAC+AMP

I am thinking about getting a 1960 4 wire "copy"

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #1,062 of 12,035
Doesn't look very high end. Might not be a significant upgrade over my LG V35 which already has a very good DAC+AMP

I am thinking about getting a 1960 4 wire "copy"
The balanced out is as good SQ wise as the WM1A. It is incredible, no exaggeration.
Ask @davidmolliere when he pops back in here.
He has had all 3 sony daps.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #1,063 of 12,035
The balanced out is as good SQ wise as the WM1A. It is incredible, no exaggeration.
Ask @davidmolliere when he pops back in here.
He has had all 3 sony daps.
Regardless, my decision stands, an extra device is just not worth it for me.

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #1,064 of 12,035
You're welcome :)

While I am here, listening to Darkside "Paper Trails" (a test track from What Hifi for bass control) sounds superb on the Solaris...
"It isn't enough for your headphones to make your earlobes wobble if you can't actually hear what's going on down there. A track with a moving bassline will either drive or confuse a performance, depending on the aptitude of your kit. Darkside's Paper Trails has the added benefit of testing a vocal line deep into the frequency range, which will really highlight the clarity of the bass - or lack thereof."
Holy moly. What a find. A gem of an album

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #1,065 of 12,035
Regardless, my decision stands, an extra device is just not worth it for me.
Different folks, different strokes.
I could never stand the SQ coming out of a phone. Would rather stick ice picks through my eardrums. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back