Campfire - Solaris
Nov 5, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,006 of 12,035
I have buyers for my Utopia and clear and if they don't flake I guess I'll just pick it up along with the A12t and think about the 1z as well. As I'm selling off all of my full sized headphones and other equipment, I need to plan what sources pairs better with IEMs. Especially ones that might be more sensitive to desktop amps. I don't want to blow anything up. The cayin n8 looks interesting but I need to do more research. Besides sound quality, I'm looking for something that has tidal and Spotify (for obscure jpop that I listen to). I wish I could skip streaming services, but I have too many bad mp3 files that I need to upgrade to flac.

I really want to punch the buy button today, but I keep thinking there might be a black Friday sale for everything I'm looking to buy. Even if it's 10% off that helps as this year we're planning to replace a lot of stuff in the house as we've been in this house for 9 years and a lot of stuff might break soon. Even though we might move to another home next year, we can still take everything with us. We are planning to buy 2 TV's, a new bed (current one is on 21 years and yes I know that I should have replaced it 11 years ago), a sectional unit that is not made with microfiber, and possibly some appliances. So this year is going to hurt our wallets and I'm not telling her I'm buying any headphone stuff.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #1,007 of 12,035
@davidmolliere BTW, david, the UE900 tips that you linked earlier, the "right" ones (=the ones you liked:)) were the rubber ear tips or the ear cushions? (there's no pic on the rubber tips, and the ear cushions don't show whether the inside is red or not). Was planning to give them a try, and would like to start with the same, at least (it's always good to try new eartips - you never know WHICH one will have a particular synergy with a given IEM :) ).

It's the silicon not the foamies but YMMV

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,008 of 12,035
The VE8 is great as well with the genre they clearly share some DNA, but you just get way more sub bass with the Solaris, and of course THAT soundstage is much bigger... it's grandiose, there is more air and with very busy music that does count although the VE8 has an uncanny ability at separation so it edges in that respect but it's not my priority.

Do you have Sony triple comfort tips? I like those a lot, but I'm not sure if they would pair well with these.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,010 of 12,035
Whoever is saying the Forte has a better soundstage than the Solaris is wrong. I’ve owned a Forte for months. It’s not larger. And even in 64 audios lineup, the A18t soundstage is much larger than the Forte.

The Solaris and A18t soundstage width is roughly equal. I’ve owned the A18t for a year.

Yep, I hear the same. Also, as David mentioned, yes, the source plays an important role and can limit the soundstage expansion, but in general I hear the soundstage of these three the same as you have mentioned above.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,011 of 12,035
Glad we agree!

The comments about the thick treble are hilarious to me. Maybe dude needs to clean his ears? Solaris isn't even close to thick sounding to me. LX is T H I C C though by comparison.

And yeah, electric guitars sound awesome on the Solaris.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,015 of 12,035
It's the silicon not the foamies but YMMV

yeah, of course MMMV, and yeah, I saw from your original pic that the ones you liked were silicon... my point was that on that page there's 2 different possible purchases, that both look like silicon (plus one foamie, that I did not even consider) - one is the rubber ear tips (which don't have a picture) the other the ear cushions (which have a picture, but you can't see enough to judge if they're the ones you were speaking about or not) - which one you did you get ?

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,017 of 12,035
Does anyone know what size symbio tips fit the Solaris?
I still have the wide bore ones left over from my Fourte and U18t.

The Symbio W fit alright, the stem is just a bit narrower than the bore but it fits.

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,018 of 12,035
My Solaris was supposed to arrive today, but UPS has decided tomorrow will do. Ugh!

As a fellow basshead (and EDM listener) I'm quite interested in reading your impressions- hopefully you prefer it over the LX so my wallet doesn't have to suffer more than it already has, lol.

Nov 5, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,019 of 12,035
Ref 8 increases soundstage by a bit but also makes everything softer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back