Campfire - Solaris
Nov 1, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #706 of 12,035
I dunno dude, sounds like we have pretty similar musical tastes, I love that bass. I had the opportunity to do a fairly extensive AB with the Vega and Atlas and found the Atlas to be much better to my ears. My buddy who was all about the Vega also recently picked up the Atlas and he just sold off his Vega.

I realize everyone's experiences are subjective, but I personally love the Atlas. It's so good. The bass is amazing and doesn't bleed. I also wouldn't read too much into the whole driver flex thing.

Im still planning on getting the Solaris soon, but despite being a bass head, my motivations are to get something a bit more balanced so I can have the best of both worlds! I've heard various comments here about bass on the Solaris and I attribute the variance due to personal perspective on sound. However, the one word which keeps popping up is balance, so I'll be looking forward to the supposed superb sonic soundscape of the Solaris!

My primary concern was about the fit of the Atlas, which could be quite problematic given my small ears. I was at first really drawn to the Vega form factor (small, discrete). And given the (awesome) pictures of @ExpatinJapan, oh boy those Atlas seem like baby boys in comparison with the Solaris ! It just seems HUGE.

But I feel you, a little balance in the frequencies wouldnt hurt for a broader genre listening. The 2 options are : Buy Atlas/Vega + Andromeda later on or rely on the sole Solaris hybrid capacities.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #707 of 12,035
Man this shill is real. Can someone with unbiased opinion share their actual thoughts of solaris. Everyone here made it sound like solaris is the second coming Jesus. How is this a discussion when you guys are just pointing out the goods? only complains so far is the memory wire cable and it has nothing to do with the iem itself.

Give it some time. We've got a couple of good lads in here with them and we'll only hear more as time goes by. As with all things new and shiny it's still very early on so you will have to wade through the hyperbole for now, not that it's a bad thing. If anything it's good to hear CA living up to their reputation given how well received their other products have been. And I say this as a happy Andro owner, cos it'll take a lot of convincing to get me to upgrade :)

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #708 of 12,035
My primary concern was about the fit of the Atlas, which could be quite problematic given my small ears. I was at first really drawn to the Vega form factor (small, discrete). And given the (awesome) pictures of @ExpatinJapan, oh boy those Atlas seem like baby boys in comparison with the Solaris ! It just seems HUGE.

But I feel you, a little balance in the frequencies wouldnt hurt for a broader genre listening. The 2 options are : Buy Atlas/Vega + Andromeda later on or rely on the sole Solaris hybrid capacities.

It's funny you mention fit, that was my primary concern as well and the Atlas fit me better than the Vega. I have small ear canals, but with the right tips the atlas just fits perfectly.

For reference, I find the small comply/CA marshmallow tips to be too big lol. I use the smallest Final audio tip and it fits me like a glove. Yea, the Atlas is very small by comparison to the Solaris from the pics

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #709 of 12,035
Ladies and Gentelmen, I am only reading praises and hyping. Is there any constructive criticism or should everybody sell their gear and buy Solaris only :wink:?

I sold an Andro and Utopia to get this. I like it more than both. It does everything very well. The only con, and I mean only, is the size and fit. The sound is very good. Amongst the best I've heard.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #710 of 12,035
Man this shill is real. Can someone with unbiased opinion share their actual thoughts of solaris. Everyone here made it sound like solaris is the second coming Jesus. How is this a discussion when you guys are just pointing out the goods? only complains so far is the memory wire cable and it has nothing to do with the iem itself.
There is no such thing as an unbiased opinion. Both the product and impressions are new. Be patient.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #711 of 12,035
Pros: Amazing depth, precision, and well above average width to the soundstage. Incredible layering, some of the best if not the best I've heard. Treble is fantastic, Andro-like but improves immensely on the Andro. Mids are great. If anything, the mids are forward and great with vocals. Bass is very textured and realistic.

Cons: Sound isn't 'thick', more on the analytical side I would say. This is my sound preference, though. It's not dark at all, not LCD series in sound (to me). Size is massive. Fit can be finnicky, the IEM sometimes comes out of my right ear a tiny bit. I just switched to foams and the fit is improved as is the bass. Speaking of bass, this won't please a basshead. At all. It's like half the Atlas bass quantity wise, but I found the Atlas and Vega (and Campfire's full size headphone) to massively favor low end only with spikey treble. They are not my cup of tea.

My preferences are to soundstage, shimmery with SMOOTH (no peaks) yet energetic treble (Utopia is best in class at that), precision, and realistic bass. These IEMs suit my taste. I also prefer having chameleon type headphones, things I can use for everything. I don't like the accumulation of expensive gear I rarely use. I want to use my gear 24/7 for everything.

This is in a class well above Andro. If you love Andro sound signature and want an upgrade, this is nearly the perfect solution to that.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #712 of 12,035

There are a few members here who have received the Solaris in the last few days, so a broader spread of opinions should be surfacing soon.

As for the reviewers, as I alluded to in my previous post, it's pretty difficult to pick a major fault with these IEMs. The CA "house sound" if their recent models sits pretty much bang in the middle of my personal preferences, so I'm not surprised I like these. What has surprised me is how much of an all rounder they are, so there just aren't any glaring deficiencies (for me, anyway). They have taken the good points of the Andro (one of the highest regarded IEMs currently out there) and addressed some of the complaints, while also managing to squeeze a little more or in terms of imaging and detail.

It usually takes a few weeks to really get to grips with a signature, so there may be some gripes that come out of the woodwork once the honeymoon period wears off, but as it stands at the moment, I can see why people are being so positive. Give it a month, and if the hype train is still rolling on these, you'll know it wasn't all hyperbole and new toy syndrome.

I'm sure there will be some people who won't rate this IEM, as it is almost impossible to find a tuning that caters to everyone, but given the price bracket they have gone for and the sound they have achieved, it's a very impressive piece of gear.

With regards to the points about bias, I guess everyone here is inherently biased towards things they prefer (in terms of preferred signatures and presentations etc). I always list my sonic preferences on any review or impression (it's in the bio on the blog I contribute to), so people can gauge whether my opinion will be relevant to them. I'd suggest just finding one or two reviewers whose tastes line up with yours and see what they have to say about these.

I'd certainly put them in the same bracket as the EE Zeus-XR (my current technical reference point for excellence), but without some of the deficiencies that the Zeus has.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #713 of 12,035
Duplicate post.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #715 of 12,035

I didn't know that there was an authority that ruled if people were sharing genuine and actual thoughts and impressions... that's a bit disrespectful to assume people aren't, like many I have paid the unit and no ties to Campfire whatsoever. Yes, impressions are largely positive does that mean that they are inaccurate? I don't think so.

I don't think anybody said it's the second coming, really. Most of us have purchased the Solaris with an understanding of what kind of signature we were getting into and we're probably biased that way as early adopters probably always are. Every impressions shoud come with a disclaimer about personal preferences (like @flinkenick does for his shootouts), and usually people have a general idea of where you come from and what you're looking for. So yeah, given my preferences go for smoother and warmer sounding IEMs the Solaris is a top notch contender for sure and great value for money. Will it be for everyone? Nope of course.

Let's take an example, I loved the Flamenco when I auditioned it and in pure technicality it would probably get ranked higher than Solaris but that's not what I am looking for and I don't care as I'll take Solaris every day over the Flamenco as it caters to my personal preferences. To me it's all relative and it's all about listening pleasure and the music, not the gear. Just a means to an end and there is some special sauce that just draws me into the music with the Solaris and for that alone it should be praised. Technicalities are just a way to an end for me :)

As for the Solaris shortcomings, there are several accounts of the shell being too large for some, so that's an issue that everyone should be aware of before making a purchase. That's the biggest downside IMHO for people with smaller ears and canals. Lack of bass impact (at least right now) has also been mentionned, if you're a basshead others IEMs will fit better.

I often go to meetups, it's an interesting way to learn that we have very different ways to hear, very different preferences and something that works for you won't work for someone else and vice versa.
I am pretty sure when I'll bring the Solaris many will have criticism to address and it will be very interesting.

I believe the bias is not coming from the people who publish impressions, but the fact early adopters are already into the signature of the Solaris and just love it :p

Ladies and Gentelmen, I am only reading praises and hyping. Is there any constructive criticism or should everybody sell their gear and buy Solaris only :wink:?

We all know there is no single magic bullet. That's the beauty of this hobby, enjoying different approaches to music :)

Hyping is really pejorative and applied to any very good impressions and I knew this would come.

The Solaris is a reviewer's nightmare. It's just too damn good / balanced / error-free to pick any obvious holes in, so you either look like a hype merchant when you say how good you think it is or struggle really hard to find something to moan about, which goes too far the other way and isn't fair to the product. First world problems! :wink:

On a serious note, there aren't any obvious flaws jumping out just yet. Yes, the housing is a little big, but I don't have any fit issues. Yes, it has memory wire (why?!?!). Yes, you can't choose the cable (no idea if that will change over time). It won't be for the extreme bassheads out there (maybe). Apart from that, I got nothin'. :wink:

We'll see with burn in, a tad more bass impact would be nice :)

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #717 of 12,035
Deeply inserting foams helps a lot with bass.

Yeah I tried the JVC Spiral Dots, more bass than the Tennmak grey I used.
I'll try Symbio W too.

Generally speaking I'd stay away from Final E, the stem is narrower than the bore, always a bad idea...

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #718 of 12,035
Generally speaking I'd stay away from Final E, the stem is narrower than the bore, always a bad idea...

That's my problem...the only ones that fit me well are those that have a narrower stem. Final E are the only stock tips that feel even decent. I haven't tried the MEE Audio triple flange yet (they've been OOS), but they'd likely fit me best based on my love for the current tips I use on my Etys, but the opening looks to be narrower than the bore there to. This issue may be what stops me from getting the Solaris :frowning2:

EDIT: I might try these?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #719 of 12,035
Yeah I tried the JVC Spiral Dots, more bass than the Tennmak grey I used.
I'll try Symbio W too.

I tried Final E, makes it brighter. Also, they make a good seal and removing them causes them to pop and hurt my eardrums.

A combination of mental and driver burn in have made these a tad smoother in the treble than what I was hearing yersterday. Also Comply Foam probably helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back