Campfire - Solaris
Oct 29, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #346 of 12,035
Hi Guys,

I had real troubles with driver flex and suffocation of the sound with the Atlas, to the point where I had to return them. Do you think these will suffer from the same issue, as they do have a dynamic driver? Has anyone that already has a pair had any driver flex? Thanks for the help.

-Paul

Can confirm no driver flex or suffocation issues with my Solaris either. I had a few issues like that with the Atlas when using silicon tips, but using foam tips and then some Custom Art custom tips solved the issue for me.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #347 of 12,035
I asked Ken at the London CanJam about driver flex in my Vega, should I be concerned about it and could it cause any damage ? He just shook his head, said “nothing to worry about” so now I don’t worry about it. Top fella, great meeting some of the Campfire team :smile_phones:
Oh, I hope i get to meet him the next time I go to Portland to try something of theirs out. It's a ways off, but I've got a special someone who doesn't know he's in desperate need of CA gear.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #348 of 12,035
Oh, I hope i get to meet him the next time I go to Portland to try something of theirs out. It's a ways off, but I've got a special someone who doesn't know he's in desperate need of CA gear.
They are really nice people, I felt I could have sat and chatted to them all day, probably would have done but you gotta let other people have a listen and a chat as well lol. I had a listen to a few of their products, I liked all of them to be honest and loved the Continental Dual Mono/V5 amps. Think I’ll be getting one of those but Solaris first in the new year :L3000:

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #350 of 12,035
Yea, I chatted with Ken for a while at RMAF this year. Super nice and chill guy. You can tell from talking to him that he has a real passion for this stuff.
Totally agree, not only does he have a passion for his work, the whole team seems to share his enthusiasm and that’s a refreshing sight to see for sure.
To have a workforce like that around him, I can understand why everything is made in small batches by a team he can trust to deliver products of the highest quality.
Campfire’s table was the first one I went to at the London CanJam this year and it will be the first again next year. Great people, great products, what’s not to like.
As for prices, a friend of mine is trying to start making cables with a view to possibly selling a small number to friends on and off Head Fi. He is finding it very difficult sourcing all the different components from various suppliers around the globe.
I won’t go into details, but I can now understand how custom cables are so expensive!!! So to produce high end IEMs to the standard of Campfire Audio, at the prices Campfire are asking.....I personally haven’t got a problem with their prices at all.
Hats off to Ken and his team :smile_phones:

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #351 of 12,035
Can you please explain what is driver flex, I am not familiar with this phenomenon

When inserting the IEM into your ear, it creates a bit of air pressure. This pushes air into the diaphragm of the dynamic driver causing it to flex and you will hear a bit of a crinkling sound. If you have an IEM with driver flex, you will definitely know. Venting helps alleviate this. It can be annoying depending on your sensitivity, but for the most part it doesn't seem to damage the driver. I had some driver flex on one side of my Lyra II, but it wasn't too bad so I was able to bear it. I once had a V-moda IEM with horrible driver flex; the slightest touch and that diaphragm would flap like hummingbird wings.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #352 of 12,035
I have never found driver flex to be an issue affecting sound, just the driver flexing when you're getting the seal upon insertion and not always, Vega did that and it never bothered me.
You guys are saying driver flex happens when playing music?

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #353 of 12,035
I've only ever experienced driver flex when inserting into my ear or when adjusting/pushing them into my ear. Otherwise I've never had it affect actual music listening. Some people can be really sensitive though and it can be quite uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #354 of 12,035
With the Atlas, I only experienced it when inserting the IEMs. The problem was the seal would form and completely stop the Atlas from producing sound. Driver flex isn't a big deal, and shouldn't hurt the earphones, but when you form a seal and they completely stop producing sound it is really frustrating. Thats what I'm hoping won't happen with the Solaris. I had driver flex with the Vega as well, but they continued to produce sound no problem.

I should note that using foam ear tips completely solved the problem with the Atlas, but I just don't find foams comfy, and also find that they don't sound as good.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #356 of 12,035
Can confirm no driver flex or suffocation issues with my Solaris either. I had a few issues like that with the Atlas when using silicon tips, but using foam tips and then some Custom Art custom tips solved the issue for me.

What Jackpot77 and others have said. I spent a few hours listening yesterday with no issues

I did find like the Atlas I had to go down a size my usual Andro size.
Using Spiral Tips.

Took some photos too.
More to come once I go through em all

336A3169-58AB-469F-A513-8005E9472E42.jpeg

I still need to get much more hours on them as I still have a strong memory of Kens well played pair.

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #357 of 12,035
I get that occasionally with the Atlas only when using the Final tips. However, I've never heard an audible crinkling sound to signify the driver is flexing. Thought maybe it had something to do with the better seal with the silicone tips.

Regardless, it hasn't affected the sound quality so its cool. I'm sure if it is flexing it's within tolerances.

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #359 of 12,035
I think driver flex only occur with DD iem and not hybrid, I has listen to more than 50 hrs only my Solaris with spinfit tip and zero driver flex

Driver flex happens because there's no pressure relief mechanism (e.g. venting) between the canal and the dynamic driver. If Solaris doesn't flex, it's probably because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back