Campfire - Solaris
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #271 of 12,035
That's it I am buying Solaris

Is this why you’re selling your A12 haha

On a side note, as long as the fit isn’t too uncomfortable and the shell itself is more resistant to wear & tear (though I haven’t experienced any chipping on my own Andromeda), the sound impressions are really promising.

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #272 of 12,035
Is this why you’re selling your A12 haha

On a side note, as long as the fit isn’t too uncomfortable and the shell itself is more resistant to wear & tear (though I haven’t experienced any chipping on my own Andromeda), the sound impressions are really promising.
Aye. I've been listening to the A12 for a long time now and it's time for change.

On a side note, somebody pls buy my A12

Oct 28, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #273 of 12,035
So I've been on the verge of purchasing Andros for a few weeks now, but held off to see what people thought of the Solaris. I've been using Etyomotic ER4's (ER4P, ER4PT, and now ER4XR) with triple-flange tips for more than a decade (first with an iPod Classic and now with a QP2R), and I love the sound and the isolation. I listen to a wide variety of music, but most of my collection is on the heavier side, including a lot of metal. I've been told that the Vegas are the best Campfires for that kind of music, but the Andros just sounded better to me in my brief demos. In light of the above, do you guys think I'd like the Solaris more than the Andro?

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #275 of 12,035
So I've been on the verge of purchasing Andros for a few weeks now, but held off to see what people thought of the Solaris. I've been using Etyomotic ER4's (ER4P, ER4PT, and now ER4XR) with triple-flange tips for more than a decade (first with an iPod Classic and now with a QP2R), and I love the sound and the isolation. I listen to a wide variety of music, but most of my collection is on the heavier side, including a lot of metal. I've been told that the Vegas are the best Campfires for that kind of music, but the Andros just sounded better to me in my brief demos. In light of the above, do you guys think I'd like the Solaris more than the Andro?
If you want the bass from metal you are better off with the Atlas over the Andromeda. But based on what everyone who has heard is saying the Solaris might give you the best of both.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #276 of 12,035
Can anyone who's heard Solaris give me an idea of comparative bass to Atlas and Andro?

Say in a general sense the Andro lies on one end of the bass spectrum and Atlas on the other. Where would solaris fall between if you could quantify it?

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #277 of 12,035
Can anyone who's heard Solaris give me an idea of comparative bass to Atlas and Andro?

Say in a general sense the Andro lies on one end of the bass spectrum and Atlas on the other. Where would solaris fall between if you could quantify it?

I dont think anyone active on this tread has ever auditioned the Solaris. Such a waste of time reading rants here.

I have requested Ken to see if I can audition one.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #278 of 12,035
I'd love to see the frequency response of the Solaris. I wonder why manufacturers do not regularly publish this information.

Edit: Actually, I see in the unnameable forum, measurements were recently posted. I was worried that the bass would be too elevated, but they appear to have a balanced response.

That was enough to remove any remaining hesitation; order placed.

The measurements you referring to are correct up to 3kHz (and yes, bass is not overwhelming), but the rest is not exactly what i'm hearing. I ran multiple sine sweeps and hear peaks around 6.5kHz, 8.5kHz, and 12kHz, while that "other" measurement you saw only has one peak between 8-10kHz. DIY FR graphs are good for a personal reference (and useful for a relative comparison), but take these with a grain of salt due to custom compensation curves that we come up with :wink: I leave final sound analysis to my ears, and peak analysis to sine sweeps while comparing it to my Veritas FR measurements.

... just want to add, just because there is a peak at certain frequency, doesn't mean it will have a high enough amplitude to irritate your ears. After 2 days of burn in, I personally don't hear any harshness or sibilance, and while the sound opened up more, becoming more revealing and brighter at the top - Solaris is still non-fatigue and quite natural in tonality in upper mids/lower treble. And for those how are interested, since I received a number of these questions already, the hissing level due to sensitivity is on par with Andromeda.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #279 of 12,035

Don't have Atlas, but I do have Andro, Vega, and Solaris.

Bass (quantity): Vega > Solaris > Andro
Soundstage (expansion): Solaris > Andro > Vega

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #280 of 12,035
I dont think anyone active on this tread has ever auditioned the Solaris. Such a waste of time reading rants here.

I have requested Ken to see if I can audition one.
So... you're just going to admit to everyone that you haven't read this thread? Just a few pages back, there are exactly the initial impressions you say don't exist here.

Come on, dude... try!

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #281 of 12,035

Solaris has a bigger soundstage than the Andromeda? That’s pretty impressive

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #282 of 12,035
Just got slapped with a 300 dollar local taxes, that places it right into z1r category. And based on the rumoured local prices I’ll e lossing 400 aud. What to do , what to do :frowning2:

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #284 of 12,035

Do you mind mentioning how many hours you had burnt-in the solaris.

I have both the vega and andro, pls correct me if am wrong, the andros have a very wide 2 dimensional sound stage, vegas have a narrow 3 dimensional sound stage. Does the solaris combine both, I mean a wider, 3 dimensional presentation?

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #285 of 12,035
Do you mind mentioning how many hours you had burnt-in the solaris.

I have both the vega and andro, pls correct me if am wrong, the andros have a very wide 2 dimensional sound stage, vegas have a narrow 3 dimensional sound stage. Does the solaris combine both, I mean a wider, 3 dimensional presentation?

24hrs on Solaris. You are right with soundstage, Solaris has a more holographic presentation, plus the imaging is very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back