Campfire - Solaris
Nov 7, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,202 of 12,035
They are both excellent and which I prefer changes depending on the headphone/music/usage case. The SP1000M is obviously much more portable. It is truly pocketable while the hugo2 is really more transportable. I should preface that the SP100M has less than 100 hrs on it, so take that as you will. I think they are about the same in terms of detail/resolution, but they present the music differently. The hugo2 has a drier, airier, but still bodied (not thin) sound, which gives a sense of effortlessness. It also has a bit better separation between the instruments, although this can also make it a little more clinical sounding. I much prefer the Hugo2 to the SP1000M with my audeze i4’s. That is a truly special combination. The SP1000m seems a little brighter/sharper/more energetic in the treble and can border on harshness, although this may be due to it being new. I almost never find the hugo2 harsh. The SP1000M has a lower noise floor. I get no hiss with my phantoms or Solaris and I do get hiss with the phantoms using the hugo2 (haven’t tried H2 with Solaris yet but definitely will in the coming days). Another difference is that the Hugo2 is single ended only, whereas the SP1000M has balanced, although this is less of an issue because Hugo2 puts out more power single ended than the SP1000m balanced. Hugo 2 is much more versatile as a DAC with its many inputs/outputs, but SP1000M doesn’t require a separate source for music with its oboard memory, Android OS, and streaming capabilities.

Thanks that is helpful. FWIW I have over 200 hours on my SP now and I do think you'll come to find the treble become more refined as time passes. Enjoy!

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,203 of 12,035
ITT:
YOU should buy a Solaris
HE should buy a Solaris
Everyone and their mother should buy a Solaris!!!!

HE who has small ears should not buy a Solaris
HE who craves surgical hair splitting detail monster sound should not buy a Solaris
HE who looks for a laid back presentation should not buy a Solaris
HE who wants bass-head blasting bass should not buy a Solaris (but an Atlas)
HE who hates shiny gold things should not buy a Solaris (ok, it's not that shiny)
HE who doesn't like treble sparkle should not buy a Solaris (even as smooth as they are)

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,205 of 12,035
HE who craves surgical hair splitting detail monster sound should not buy a Solaris
HE who hates shiny gold things should not buy a Solaris (ok, it's not that shiny)
HE who doesn't like treble sparkle should not buy a Solaris (even as smooth as they are)
Nah everyone should buy a Solaris and change their tastes ....or ears

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,206 of 12,035
Nah everyone should buy a Solaris and change their tastes ....or ears

Careful, somebody will take that first degree and invoke the Noble syndrome :zipper_mouth:
We're going to end up quarantined :p

Nov 7, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,207 of 12,035

I guess you don't spend much time with the CL2 now you own the Solaris?
So for bass you'd choose Atlas, how is their fitment? - they look clunky.

Nov 7, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,208 of 12,035
I guess you don't spend much time with the CL2 now you own the Solaris? So for bass you'd choose Atlas, how is their fitment? - they look clunky. Thanks :slight_smile:

Not really what I meant... the Solaris bass is quality bass and they're powerful, what I think bass-head might lack is the hard hitting bass for two reasons :
1) because the attack on the Solaris is not as snappy as other basshead IEMs
2) because the mid bass is leaner than basshead IEMs (it's a clean audiophile bass)

I am mentioning Atlas (which I have never heard/tried) but Legend X would also qualify as well as others like Vega (which I owned for a year and a half).

To sum it up, with Solaris you get plenty of sub bass power (really subwoofer like when called for!) but the mid bass is not boosted and the attack is "softer" thus it won't kick as much as other IEMs. At least that's how I hear/interpret it. Keep in mind I am talking about how it is with WM1Z and firmware 3.0. With Mojo I get more mid bass, but it's not as detailed and textured as with WM1Z. I guess something like Fiio X7 II will kick more as well so YMMV.

And yeah CL2 don't get much time right now, I have been listening to 6/8 hours a day of Solaris for the week I have had them, plus my CL2 are on loan with @lafeuill

I have been spending just a little time with the EX1000 since I got a balanced copper cable, which brought them to another level yet.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #1,211 of 12,035
Actually I have rather small ears and its working fine for me. With this nozzle I just use smaller tips the isolation is amazing for me. Everyone is different and im still giving it time but for me seems great.

As I am writting this I am parked on the side of a very busy highway with the volume at about 50% and I seriouly cant hear anything but the music.

Oh the details !!! Its quite amazing actually. For the first time in my life I am TRULY Lost in the music.

Got a new LG V40 to go with it :o2smile:

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #1,212 of 12,035
The first negative impressions are in!!! Check out the place which must not be named.

TBH, I think something's wrong especially vis-a-vis the Imaging performance. Solaris is a God at Imaging and said person said Imaging performance was lower than Andro

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,215 of 12,035
These or 750 pairs of $2 Daiso earphones? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back