Campfire Solaris - Delicate Touch
May 30, 2020 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

j7ols

New Head-Fier
So, I've worked my way up to my goal IEMs in terms of 'investment' at least.
Problem is, I'm so scared of scratching or damaging them I'm hardly using them. I'm really careful with all my things which makes it worse.
When I had my Shure SE846 (which I absolutely loved) at least I could put them in my jacket pocket without fear of damaging them.
Is there a more 'robust' IEM around $1k with similar sound to my Solaris? I need some help!
Thanks,
Jools

May 30, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 10
Like you, I tend to baby my gear and I’m very OCD about keeping it in mint condition. One way around this is to buy used; saves money and since the IEMs/gear are already used, I’m less likely to fret over their condition. Normally I’d say sell the Solaris and pick one up used, but the current price of a second-hand Solaris is currently hovering around the $950-1050 range, so you may as well enjoy the one you have. This is not meant to sound patronizing, but I don’t really see another way around this.

~edit
Also, not sure what you mean by ‘investment’; if you’re in this hobby to make money, you’re in the wrong hobby. 😉🤕 If you mean investment in the sense that you’ve saved up to buy something you really want to put your money into and enjoy, then I’d say it’s already paid off if you enjoy the Solaris so much. If the Solaris is the IEM by which you compare other IEMs, I’d say you’ve found your “endgame IEM”. Which means you’re already ahead of most of us anyway. :L3000:🤘🏻

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 10
Agree with everything you say. I always buy used but buy mint condition so pressure is back on!
I had some Andromeda's which had scratches to the corners but sheer weight of those if they touched clanging together made me wince.
Maybe I'm driving myself to a composite construction. Yes, this is helping!

May 30, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 10
Haha yes, I am all too familiar with the wincing that comes every time my IEMs ‘clack clack’ together. I’ve found the double pouch Campfire includes to be very helpful with this.

Also, I am the same with mint condition used IEMs. It’s all about keeping it in the same condition which I got them. 🤪

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 10
The Solaris are built like a tank and about as robust as you can find. I take mine out and about all the time and always have one of those CFA pouches on hand to place them in if I want to put them in my jacket pocket or otherwise have them out of my ears.

May 30, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 10
Also, when you think about it, it seems kind of contradictory/counterintuitive. The metal construction of these IEMs suggests they are more robust than acrylic/non-metal build IEMs, so we really shouldn’t be worried. That clack-clack sound though... 8A2D8844-241C-4309-8860-4777E5EF1EDC.gif

May 30, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 10
The Solaris 2020 is all 100% PVD coated, this plating is extremely hard and robust. The spout (tip) is highly polished 100% stainless steel, so the entire IEM is metal.

Physical Vapor Deposition.

The OG Solaris does have a 24 gold plated lid which as you indicated is softer than the PVD body. But the Solaris 2020 which is replacing the OG gold lidded Solaris has address this wear issue as well as the size. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back