Campfire Dorado 2020
May 9, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #1,247 of 1,452
I hear you and I agree that a good dac/amp makes a difference.

Just saying that statements like “much better” and “massive difference” dosen’t always make sense.

I’ve used some of my non-audiophile friends to test the Vega and Dorado. All of them could hear the difference between the two. Not everyone could tell the difference between iPhone > iem vs iPhone > Mojo2 > iem

Sure. The "massive differences" are audible best when your ears are already used/trained to your setup and you will switch back to previous.

Or in a proper environment - when I go to sleep and listen in bed, focused on music only, even IEM cable can make a difference.

As for me I don't believe in "quick comparisions" - for example Dorado at first listen at the store wasn't as much better than my old Tingker TK300.
But demoed them at home for a few days and after this - wow, they are so much better, I am upgrading to Dorado.
Now I wait for Fir Xe6 demo to be delivered.

"Non-audio" people - when you tell them to listen to 'something audiophile' they expect "instant wow", they won't understand the difference between $50 and $1000 is not "20x better" but more like... maybe 20%? :wink:

May 9, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #1,248 of 1,452
Thank you to Rockwell75 and others for all the insightful comments, I left my Atlas on the side and was able to locate a used pair of Dorado 2020. Claud mentioned a few cables to me since they were sold with a pathetic copper set. Using the silver cable which came with the Atlas now. I am playing music through a LG V35 and the UAPP app with Qobuz, ordered a Cayin RU6. I am pretty familiar with stereo systems, tube gear, DACs , headphones and IEMs not so much. Listening to Michel Petrucciani Trio in Japan with Steve Gadd and Anthony Jackson, this Steinway piano which had a metallic sound brings a lovely note of realism now. I guess I will call this moment love at the first hearing.

May 10, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #1,249 of 1,452
Thank you to Rockwell75 and others for all the insightful comments, I left my Atlas on the side and was able to locate a used pair of Dorado 2020. Claud mentioned a few cables to me since they were sold with a pathetic copper set. Using the silver cable which came with the Atlas now. I am playing music through a LG V35 and the UAPP app with Qobuz, ordered a Cayin RU6. I am pretty familiar with stereo systems, tube gear, DACs , headphones and IEMs not so much. Listening to Michel Petrucciani Trio in Japan with Steve Gadd and Anthony Jackson, this Steinway piano which had a metallic sound brings a lovely note of realism now. I guess I will call this moment love at the first hearing.

Congratulations, you'll be very happy with the Dorado 2020 :)

May 15, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #1,251 of 1,452
I'm headed to audio46 next week to see if they have any DAPs I can demo... It would have to be a pretty dramatic difference to spend another $700+ on DAP over my existing setup.
unfortunately they didn't have any DAPs for testing, I didn't want the trip to be for nothing so I tried the Nannas 2.0, they were pretty good. I may revisit the store for another test.

Anyone know a store in NYC that lets you try out DAPs?

May 18, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #1,252 of 1,452
May 18, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,253 of 1,452
I guess this is the birth of the Watercooler!

Indeed it was-- I started the Watercooler thread (originally a personal impressions thread) a couple days after that post.

May 19, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #1,254 of 1,452
I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the Doroado. It's pretty much a perfect foil and ideal compliment to the Andromeda 2020.
I'm still going through and enjoying the thread. Sounds like I know what to get for the next leg of my journey (that is if I can't wait till July when I return to Singapore)!

May 19, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #1,255 of 1,452
Finally! It has taken me about 4 full days to go through this entire thread! Why do you ask? Well because I love the Dorado 2020 so much!

I have them burning-in alongside the Dunu Vernus and the IMR Dark Matter. I have the Dorado 2020 burning-in for 95 hours now, the Dunu Vernus for about 60 hours now and the IMR Dark Matter for 7. Currently, the Dorado 2020 remains my favourite. To be fair to the Dark Matter, the advice from the manufacturer is to burn them in between 300-500 hours for optimal sound so I will not comment further on the comparisons.

I gave my first impressions on the Dorado 2020 here and here in the Watercooler thread.

I am still relatively young in my journey in this hobby and I really look forward to the exploration but I would be so happy if I had to stop now with the Dorado 2020. Oh, and I hope to hear them with the M9 one day, but they already sound so good with the M6Pro (AK). I also have the M7 incoming so am excited to hear how they sound though the M7.

Yaaas, there is life in the Dorado 2020 thread! It's aliiive! These are my daily drivers and let me tell you. If you want to feel immersed, reverb, impact and fullness in your music, these will absolutely deliver. When I first put them in and compared them to the FiiO FH9 (which btw I thought was also a very dynamic and great sounding IEM) I was still blown away and immediately fell in love and sold off my FH9's to someone in Montreal.
I recently heard the FH9 at a Tech show here in HCMC and my thoughts were exactly as you describe, that they sounded dynamic and well tuned. They had at the show a new Andromeda 2020 for sale and I was tempted but did not pull the trigger.

So the idea for the Tech show came from getting acquainted with another head-fier and he suggested we meet up at the tech show. There was another person who unfortunately lived in another city in Vietnam and so he could not make it. After the show, I was exchanging text messages with him and it transpires he was selling his Dorado 2020. After a very quick negotiation, I purchased his Dorado 2020 (which had only about 10 hours on them)!

Best decision I have made since starting this hobby!

If this is of any help to anyone, we've been getting feedback that Dorado 2020 work with xDSD Gryphon
I can also attest that the Dorado 2020 works really well with the Hip Dac 2. If you want to hear the Dorado 2020 on steroids, just put on xBass!

It doesn't even have to be ours.
Indeed! The Dorado 2020 sounds amazing on the Cayin RU6. It is like listening to full sized speakers! The soundstage seems to be wider on the RU6!

The Dorado 2020 is really very versatile!!!

My picture of the day!

IMG_1151.jpg

May 20, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #1,256 of 1,452
Finally! It has taken me about 4 full days to go through this entire thread! Why do you ask? Well because I love the Dorado 2020 so much!

I have them burning-in alongside the Dunu Vernus and the IMR Dark Matter. I have the Dorado 2020 burning-in for 95 hours now, the Dunu Vernus for about 60 hours now and the IMR Dark Matter for 7. Currently, the Dorado 2020 remains my favourite. To be fair to the Dark Matter, the advice from the manufacturer is to burn them in between 300-500 hours for optimal sound so I will not comment further on the comparisons.

I gave my first impressions on the Dorado 2020 here and here in the Watercooler thread.

I am still relatively young in my journey in this hobby and I really look forward to the exploration but I would be so happy if I had to stop now with the Dorado 2020. Oh, and I hope to hear them with the M9 one day, but they already sound so good with the M6Pro (AK). I also have the M7 incoming so am excited to hear how they sound though the M7.

I recently heard the FH9 at a Tech show here in HCMC and my thoughts were exactly as you describe, that they sounded dynamic and well tuned. They had at the show a new Andromeda 2020 for sale and I was tempted but did not pull the trigger.

So the idea for the Tech show came from getting acquainted with another head-fier and he suggested we meet up at the tech show. There was another person who unfortunately lived in another city in Vietnam and so he could not make it. After the show, I was exchanging text messages with him and it transpires he was selling his Dorado 2020. After a very quick negotiation, I purchased his Dorado 2020 (which had only about 10 hours on them)!

Best decision I have made since starting this hobby!

I can also attest that the Dorado 2020 works really well with the Hip Dac 2. If you want to hear the Dorado 2020 on steroids, just put on xBass!

Indeed! The Dorado 2020 sounds amazing on the Cayin RU6. It is like listening to full sized speakers! The soundstage seems to be wider on the RU6!

The Dorado 2020 is really very versatile!!!

My picture of the day!

IMG_1151.jpg
Nice - I listen to jazz, classical almost every night after my son goes to sleep and it just puts me in the right state of mind whenever I need it. You could also call it the best therapeutic solution (for me) when I just need to escape into the Dorado's sonic blanket for a few hours.

May 20, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #1,257 of 1,452
Nice - I listen to jazz, classical almost every night after my son goes to sleep and it just puts me in the right state of mind whenever I need it. You could also call it the best therapeutic solution (for me) when I just need to escape into the Dorado's sonic blanket for a few hours.

May 20, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #1,258 of 1,452
Nice! Dorados thumping you to sleep! :deadhorse:

May 21, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,259 of 1,452
Have been listening to Dorado 2020 with my iBasso DX220MAX (transportable DAP) the last two days.
Usually with my Sony DAPs. Am noticing a significant increase in slam and impact, and greater soundstage, separation and detail retrieval.
Taking the wonderful Dorado 2020 to even higher levels. A joy to listen to :D

May 21, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,260 of 1,452
I'm overjoyed at how much love these IEMs have been getting lately. For a while it seemed as though they might fade into obscurity unheralded...but it seems they're finally finding their audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back