Campfire Dorado 2020
Apr 22, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #616 of 1,452
Have you tried regular Sedna tips? They're quite wide (I have wide ears too so am very limited in the tips I can use). OG Sednas have been my go-to for a while.

Also @blotmouse do you have the MEST MKii? (What other IEMs do you have on hand?). I only ask as I had the MEST MKii for a bit and I had the inverse problem that you're having with the Dorado-- namely I found it great some of the time then other times I found it a little shouty up top and lacking presence and weight down low. YMMV etc.
Missed the question earlier.

Yeah, I have the MEST MKii. Currently rotate Solaris OG, MEST Mkii, and Dorado 2020.
I received the MEST and Dorado at the same time 6 days ago and prefer the MEST. (MEST fit is great) but really both are a bit rough around the edges. I still prefer the Solaris overall for the rock and metal which is a predominant constant.

I find the MKii has more bass than the OG Solaris, but its a strange one and in strange quantities. Some songs it feels lacking and some it's almost overpowering. Not a huge fan of its treble for rock (that may change). It may be the shouty nature you speak of?
It's almost too opened up, but focus is on the wrong frequency to my ears and they, yeah, dialed out detail to tame it, perhaps?
It is great so far for hip hop and electronica and pop, though. Which is fine, it can be a nice upgrade to my shelved Polaris v2.

I checked those Sedna's and they don't go higher than 14mm, are the regulars sizes and shape dif than the Xelastec L? They're 14mm and are too small for over ear, I can can get a good seal with those w/ earbud style like Atlas.

Apr 22, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #617 of 1,452
Missed the question earlier.

Yeah, I have the MEST MKii. Currently rotate Solaris OG, MEST Mkii, and Dorado 2020.
I received the MEST and Dorado at the same time 6 days ago and prefer the MEST. (MEST fit is great) but really both are a bit rough around the edges. I still prefer the Solaris overall for the rock and metal which is a predominant constant.

I find the MKii has more bass than the OG Solaris, but its a strange one and in strange quantities. Some songs it feels lacking and some it's almost overpowering. Not a huge fan of its treble for rock (that may change). It may be the shouty nature you speak of?
It's almost too opened up, but focus is on the wrong frequency to my ears and they, yeah, dialed out detail to tame it, perhaps?
It is great so far for hip hop and electronica and pop, though. Which is fine, it can be a nice upgrade to my shelved Polaris v2.

I checked those Sedna's and they don't go higher than 14mm, are the regulars sizes and shape dif than the Xelastec L? They're 14mm and are too small for over ear, I can can get a good seal with those w/ earbud style like Atlas.

I found the MESTii may have more measurable bass than Solaris but Solaris bass (or CFA's DD bass in general) is tighter, more impactful-- you get more bang for your buck in my experience. I was hoping for a more polished take on the OG MEST with the MKii and what I got was something that was almost too polished, too safe. It lost a lot of the enduring charm and character that made the original so captivating. It almost had a bit of that "tuned by a commitee" feel to it. YMMV though.

Regarding being "too opened up"-- yes I find that a lot on IEMs with what might be called an "Eastern tuning". The upper. mid/lower treble region is just a touch too energetic. It can sound refreshing in short bursts but is fatiguing in the long term and makes much of music sound a little off. Between Solaris, Dorado and MEST for me Dorado is the clear winner (YMMV and all that).

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #619 of 1,452
But yeah there Is definitely 2 prominent camps of 'audiophile'

Definitely-- and really this goes for any sort of human interest or endeavour. As far as audio is concerned if you factor out all the shills, shysters and those on some sort of spectrum people who participate in this hobby fall into one of two broad categories-- those who approach it from an analytical perspective and those who approach it from an emotional perspective. The former type range from those who are primarily interested in gear over music to those whose temperament draws them more to things like detail, resolution and technical skill. The latter type are, by contrast, less concerned with sheer technical skill and more concerned with connecting emotionally with their music, however that may look. Both viewpoints are totally natural however it's usually the former type who like to tell the latter type that they're doing it all wrong. It's also true that most people are a combo of both ideals and not fully committed to either side...though I would personally argue that as one approaches the summit of their particular tastes that they will inevitably end up siding more with one side than the other.

I've always liked this Ralph Waldo Emerson quote in that I feel it describes in broad terms the essence of the whole objective/subjective conflict in this hobby that is very closely related to what I was discussing above:

"As thinkers, mankind have ever divided into two sects, Materialists and Idealists; the first class founding on experience, the second on consciousness; the first class beginning to think from the data of the senses, the second class perceive that the senses are not final, and say, the senses give us representations of things, but what are the things themselves, they cannot tell. The materialist insists on facts, on history, on the force of circumstances, and the animal wants of man; the idealist on the power of Thought and of Will, on inspiration, on miracle, on individual culture."

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #620 of 1,452
Well said.
I feel It's all about whether it makes you air drum or not.
I have to think, or want to think there are are more emotional's out there than technical's. If I can't get to spaceship Jah with it, then it's off to the bin it goes.
I barely define myself as an audiophile. I just want the sounds that I play live to be reproduced they way I approve, which is, of course, the way it should sound (kidding). We all have our areas of focus, mine is getting the damn rhythm section right. Without a PA or additional concert loudspeakers. A drum kit in a room with an 8x10 tube bass rig. If they can do that correctly, I am in.

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #621 of 1,452
Well said.
I feel It's all about whether it makes you air drum or not.

That's a big part of it.

I have to think, or want to think there are are more emotional's out there than technical's.

I think on the whole they are however the latter I think are more likely to have an active online presence so perception based only on what you see posted online is very skewed. I get the sense that the vast majority of people who participate in this hobby don't post regularly on forums or have much of an online presence at all.

If I can't get to spaceship Jah with it, then it's off to the bin it goes.

LOL love this.

I barely define myself as an audiophile. I just want the sounds that I play live to be reproduced they way I approve, which is, of course, the way it should sound (kidding). We all have our areas of focus, mine is getting the damn rhythm section right. Without a PA or additional concert loudspeakers. A drum kit in a room with an 8x10 tube bass rig. If they can do that correctly, I am in.

I feel the same way-- I just want to be swept off my feet in one way or another when I'm listening to my music...whether in the process of doing this traditional audiophile norms are upheld is entirely secondary to me.

Apr 29, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #622 of 1,452
I decided to blindly follow @Rockwell75 from now on. :wink:
After having read his review I also bought the Dorados and ... wow .. I don't regret it!
They were used so they didn't need any burn in phase.
What I would like to tell everybody, who might want to purchase them is how important the right tips are.
After unpacking I tried to find a good seal with the different silicone tips. Not easy but some of the large ones fit. (I do not use foam tips any more since they all take away treble. Ignored that fact for a while since they fit so easily)
But I didn't like the sound of the Dorado at all. Lots of bass (so good seal), but somehow muddy. Treble with to sharp "s" in songs. Like no real control over the music. This just didn't fit to the review.
I had my Elysium prepared for a quick A:B, but instead of a comparision (clear result anyways) I removed the spinFit sp145 from them and put them on the Dorado.
And the wonder happened. They suddenly sound fantastic and exactly like what I was hoping for. Enough detail, soundstage etc. in order not to fail against the Elysium, but so much fun! :)
I am not saying you should all buy SpinFits now. Every ear is different. But I am saying if you are not a fan of the Dorados, try different tips and maybe SpinFit before you sell them ... I would for sure have sold mine after the first sound impression.
IMG_1295.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #623 of 1,452
After having read his review I also bought the Dorados and ... wow .. I don't regret it!
They are used so they didn't need any burn in phase.
What I would like to tell everybody, that might want to purchase them is how important the right tips are.
After unpacking I tried to find a good seal with the different silicone tips. Not easy but some of the large ones fit. (I do not use foam tips any more since they all take away treble. Ignored that fact for a while since they fit so easily)
But I didn't like the sound of the Dorado at all. Lots of bass (so good seal), but somehow muddy. Treble with to sharp "s" in songs. Like no real control over the music. This just didn't fit to the review.
I had my Elysium prepared for a quick A:B, but instead of a comparision (clear result anyways) I removed the spinFit sp145 from them and put them on the Dorado.
And the wonder happened. They suddenly sound fantastic and exactly like what I was hoping for. Enough detail, soundstage etc. in order not to fail against the Elysium, but so much fun! :)
I am not saying you should all buy SpinFits now. Every ear is different. But I am saying if you are not a fan of the Dorados, try different tips and maybe SpinFit before you sell them ... I would for sure have sold mine after the first sound impression.
IMG_1295.jpg
Can't wait to get mine. Yes I agree ,On some IEMs tips can make a world of difference. I received the CP360 today, they were advertised for Wireless earbuds. But they are a great match for Solaris IMO. Could be good with the Dorados too.

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #624 of 1,452
They are used so they didn't need any burn in phase.
What I would like to tell everybody, that might want to purchase them is how important the right tips are.
IMG_1295.jpg
Wow... since I live close to @Rockwell75 I’ve been waiting for our next meet up to hear these but your comments really add to the likelihood that I’m going to like these a lot.

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #625 of 1,452
Wow... since I live close to @Rockwell75 I’ve been waiting for our next meet up to hear these but your comments really add to the likelihood that I’m going to like these a lot.

I'll mail them to you Monday after I do a little a/b with my Andromeda this weekend.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #627 of 1,452
May 1, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #629 of 1,452
Songs like this one are why Dorado 2020 is an outstanding iem

1619890227075.png

May 1, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #630 of 1,452
Songs like this one are why Dorado 2020 is an outstanding iem

1619890227075.png

From your sig: "CA Dorado 2020, Sony EX 1000, Sony IER-1ZR, VE Elysium"...now there's a top shelf collection of IEMs if ever there was one. I hope you get to hear a Shanling M8 at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back