Campfire Dorado 2020
Oct 21, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #31 of 1,452
Unfortunately I need a few hours before I can give some better comparisons... Trying to actually get some work done. But I'll definitely throw the z1r into the mix too when I have some time.
When you switch to the Z1R, I'd love a measurement of the Dorado 2020 sound pipe diameter...

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #32 of 1,452
When you switch to the Z1R, I'd love a measurement of the Dorado 2020 sound pipe diameter...
I don't have anything to measure them precisely enough, but I can take some photos if that would be helpful. Just from eyeballing them they look pretty similar in diameter, with the stem being longer on the dorado.

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #33 of 1,452
I don't have anything to measure them precisely enough, but I can take some photos if that would be helpful. Just from eyeballing them they look pretty similar in diameter, with the stem being longer on the dorado.
Longer stem would be good for me, I think. A comparison photo of the Dorado 2020 and your Atlas, plus one of the Dorado 2020 laying on a ruler might be good enough. I'm hopeful the sound pipes on CA's new IEMs are smaller than their previous releases. I read somewhere they might be.

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #34 of 1,452
Longer stem would be good for me, I think. A comparison photo of the Dorado 2020 and your Atlas, plus one of the Dorado 2020 laying on a ruler might be good enough. I'm hopeful the sound pipes on CA's new IEMs are smaller than their previous releases. I read somewhere they might be.
Definitely longer than the stem on the atlas, and looks slightly narrower, but hard to tell. I'll do my best to take a measurement at some point.

Oct 21, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #35 of 1,452
Alright, going to try and keep this relatively short, but still pack in as much info as I can. So relatively short may still be pretty long.

All listening here has been done on my cayin n6ii with e01 board in class A mode. I just received the dorado this morning, so for those who dont trust super initial impressions or think they need to burn in, keep that in mind. I dont plan to do a burn in period as I am not convinced, and would rather just listen through anyways. I seem to be gravitating towards spinfits or final e tips with these, and am listening with spinfits right now. I also want to say as I always do, to take my impressions with a grain of salt. I wonder if much of whats said on these forums is hyperbole, because while I try to bring out the differences, most of what I hear are very small changes. And in my experience so far, above that $1k mark everything has been quite good, and I would be hard pressed to call anything strictly "better" or "worse" just different, and it all depends on personal preference.

Some basic impressions: Overall, I would describe these are relatively balanced, with some "boosts" in places. Bass overall feels a bit elevated, with some good physicality and power. I wouldn't call them a bassy IEM, but they lean a bit warm. I like bass, and am pretty happy with what I am hearing. There also seems to be some elevation in the treble too as it has a bit of an edge to it, giving it a nice sense of clarity. Im not the one to tell at what frequency any boosts might be happening, but its nice. I have heard a few songs get a bit hot, but nothing I would classify as sibilant yet. Initially, mids felt recessed (I judge a lot based on vocals) and I do still hear some male vocals that seem farther back in the mix, but it may also just be due to how certain songs are recorded as overall I dont really find the mids recessed or lacking.

Some Comparisons:

Atlas: Bass into lower mids feels pretty similar between the two. Which I would hope based on the driver. But then moving up into the upper mids and treble, thats where I hear a lot of difference. The Dorado pretty much is what I think I would personally look for as an upgrade to the atlas. Its a different signature, but it very much feels to me like the low end of the atlas, with added clarity and definition added on from the addition of the BA. The dorado feels cleaner and tighter throughout, while atlas almost feels veiled... almost. The atlas was my favorite for a long time until I started dipping my toes into some slightly higher end stuff, and the dorado to me feels like the upgrade I would have been hoping for from the Atlas. Using spiral dot ++ on the atlas to not choke off treble at all.

64 Audio Nio (m15 module): Very very first thing... Apex is wonderful. I realize it affects tuning, but I think I have been spoiled by how nice it is to not have any pressure in my ears. I absolutely notice the air pressure in my ear from the dorado, where theres just none from the nio. I think my initial impressions here were about right. Nio is smoother and a bit warmer, with a focus more on bass and mids, with smooth but extended treble. The dorado is a bit quicker and tighter in the bass, not quite as warm in the mids, and treble is sharper, though potentially not quite as extended as the nio. As mentioned above, I have had a few tracks sound a bit hot the dorado, but have never heard that on the Nio. Given the price and driver differences, the dorado is doing a good job holding its own. I find the nio pretty comfortable, but still opted for custom tips. The Dorado is significantly smaller and should be a much easier fit.

Sony IER Z1R: These two are really just not that similar. The Z1R is definitely a bit more of a classic V shape, with mids a bit scopped out in comparison to the treble and the bass. The Z1R is also pretty unique with its dynamic tweeter. The dorado comes across as sharper, but not more detailed. I dont find the z1r hot, but I have definitely heard the treble called that before. Bass has that wonderful slow decay with more of a subbass focus on the z1r, while its a bit tighter and more full on the dorado. The one area the z1r absolutely still crushes everything else I have heard is soundstage. There is something about its presentation that makes it pretty much the only IEM I have heard to really sound big and holgraphic. Others have some degree of it, but the z1r just has a very unique presentation. Again I should mention size. The Z1R is huge, and the dorado is tiny by comparison. Even when the z1r doesnt hurt, its always noticeable in my ears, and I have to adjust it quite a lot.

To finish here. I am definitely enjoying the dorado, and it certainly has met my expectations as an atlas with improved technicalities and a bit of a more balanced sound without sacrificing what made the atlas great, the big bold low end.

And some photos to round this off:

A comparison with the atlas to see overall size and stem size:
PXL_20201021_220629926.jpg

A comparison of stem size vs the z1r:
PXL_20201021_220831191.jpg

And finally just an overall size comparison between the dorado, Nio, and Z1R.... seriously the dorado is tiny:
PXL_20201021_220803848.jpg

Oct 21, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #36 of 1,452
Alright, going to try and keep this relatively short, but still pack in as much info as I can. So relatively short may still be pretty long.

All listening here has been done on my cayin n6ii with e01 board in class A mode. I just received the dorado this morning, so for those who dont trust super initial impressions or think they need to burn in, keep that in mind. I dont plan to do a burn in period as I am not convinced, and would rather just listen through anyways. I seem to be gravitating towards spinfits or final e tips with these, and am listening with spinfits right now. I also want to say as I always do, to take my impressions with a grain of salt. I wonder if much of whats said on these forums is hyperbole, because while I try to bring out the differences, most of what I hear are very small changes. And in my experience so far, above that $1k mark everything has been quite good, and I would be hard pressed to call anything strictly "better" or "worse" just different, and it all depends on personal preference.

Some basic impressions: Overall, I would describe these are relatively balanced, with some "boosts" in places. Bass overall feels a bit elevated, with some good physicality and power. I wouldn't call them a bassy IEM, but they lean a bit warm. I like bass, and am pretty happy with what I am hearing. There also seems to be some elevation in the treble too as it has a bit of an edge to it, giving it a nice sense of clarity. Im not the one to tell at what frequency any boosts might be happening, but its nice. I have heard a few songs get a bit hot, but nothing I would classify as sibilant yet. Initially, mids felt recessed (I judge a lot based on vocals) and I do still hear some male vocals that seem farther back in the mix, but it may also just be due to how certain songs are recorded as overall I dont really find the mids recessed or lacking.

Some Comparisons:

Atlas: Bass into lower mids feels pretty similar between the two. Which I would hope based on the driver. But then moving up into the upper mids and treble, thats where I hear a lot of difference. The Dorado pretty much is what I think I would personally look for as an upgrade to the atlas. Its a different signature, but it very much feels to me like the low end of the atlas, with added clarity and definition added on from the addition of the BA. The dorado feels cleaner and tighter throughout, while atlas almost feels veiled... almost. The atlas was my favorite for a long time until I started dipping my toes into some slightly higher end stuff, and the dorado to me feels like the upgrade I would have been hoping for from the Atlas. Using spiral dot ++ on the atlas to not choke off treble at all.

64 Audio Nio (m15 module): Very very first thing... Apex is wonderful. I realize it affects tuning, but I think I have been spoiled by how nice it is to not have any pressure in my ears. I absolutely notice the air pressure in my ear from the dorado, where theres just none from the nio. I think my initial impressions here were about right. Nio is smoother and a bit warmer, with a focus more on bass and mids, with smooth but extended treble. The dorado is a bit quicker and tighter in the bass, not quite as warm in the mids, and treble is sharper, though potentially not quite as extended as the nio. As mentioned above, I have had a few tracks sound a bit hot the dorado, but have never heard that on the Nio. Given the price and driver differences, the dorado is doing a good job holding its own. I find the nio pretty comfortable, but still opted for custom tips. The Dorado is significantly smaller and should be a much easier fit.

Sony IER Z1R: These two are really just not that similar. The Z1R is definitely a bit more of a classic V shape, with mids a bit scopped out in comparison to the treble and the bass. The Z1R is also pretty unique with its dynamic tweeter. The dorado comes across as sharper, but not more detailed. I dont find the z1r hot, but I have definitely heard the treble called that before. Bass has that wonderful slow decay with more of a subbass focus on the z1r, while its a bit tighter and more full on the dorado. The one area the z1r absolutely still crushes everything else I have heard is soundstage. There is something about its presentation that makes it pretty much the only IEM I have heard to really sound big and holgraphic. Others have some degree of it, but the z1r just has a very unique presentation. Again I should mention size. The Z1R is huge, and the dorado is tiny by comparison. Even when the z1r doesnt hurt, its always noticeable in my ears, and I have to adjust it quite a lot.

To finish here. I am definitely enjoying the dorado, and it certainly has met my expectations as an atlas with improved technicalities and a bit of a more balanced sound without sacrificing what made the atlas great, the big bold low end.

And finally just an overall size comparison between the dorado, Nio, and Z1R.... seriously the dorado is tiny:

The Dorado looks so cute next to those two titans. Thank-you for taking the time to share your impressions...you're one of the people I consider pretty reliable even though our preferences don't always line up. I'll definitely keep the Dorado on my radar and l look forward to some impressions and comparisons with the Vega (among other things).

Oct 21, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #37 of 1,452

Some Comparisons:

Awesome, thanks so much for this I am really considering it now. The Z1R is an absolute brute 😂 always loved the Vega housing tbh and they have been one of, if not the most comfortable iems I’ve owned.

Oct 21, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #38 of 1,452
The Dorado looks so cute next to those two titans. Thank-you for taking the time to share your impressions...you're one of the people I consider pretty reliable even though our preferences don't always line up. I'll definitely keep the Dorado on my radar and l look forward to some impressions and comparisons with the Vega (among other things).
Seriously. Its ridiculously small in comparison. Still doesnt compare to something like the final audio e series, but still, its nice and compact. And I am sure you likely remember all the fit issues I have had with various iems. Nice to have one with almost nothing to worry about there. Ill also be looking forward to hopefully hearing some direct atlas and vega comparisons too. Seems like probably no sense in owning both, but of course, always interested to hear.

I will say though that if absolute coherency is important, the dorado is likely not perfect there. Treble definitely has that BA timbre, while bass has the obvious DD timbre. Gets interesting in the mids though as theres not really any hard "crossover" point, potentially due to them not using crossovers.

And a couple other interesting things to note... Campfire may have taken a bit of a page out of 64s playbook. I assume they arent using any direct radiating BA's (like tia drivers), but their marketing shows it right in the stem like 64, and looking into the stem it certainly does seem like the driver is firing right out of the end of the stem. Also, none of the marketing materials strictly mention taec on campfires webpage, but I have seen it mentioned in a few places and the little instruction manual mentions it too.

Awesome, thanks so much for this I am really considering it now. The Z1R is an absolute brute 😂 always loved the Vega housing tbh and they have been one of, if not the most comfortable iems I’ve owned.
Hope it hasnt made any decisions more difficult. But it really does seem in some ways what I think I was hoping the solaris would have been. A hybrid atlas, with the low end of the atlas, and a bit more balanced sound with some of the benefits up top from a BA. Im enjoying it. I doubt it plays on the same level as some of the other higher end stuff, but to my ears its close enough (though I lately begin to doubt as honestly, I find it very hard to call anything "better"), and its been an enjoyable time listening to it today. And especially so given how small it is. Its basically the same OG vega/dorado/lyra shell with a longer stem, and made from ceramic instead of metal, also with a cable where you dont have to deal with memory wire.

And as much as I love the Z1R, its HUGE. And I think its probably time to part with it as it just doesnt play nice with my ears, and I think I have enough with the Nio and dorado right now to not miss it too much.

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #39 of 1,452
Seriously. Its ridiculously small in comparison. Still doesnt compare to something like the final audio e series, but still, its nice and compact. And I am sure you likely remember all the fit issues I have had with various iems. Nice to have one with almost nothing to worry about there. Ill also be looking forward to hopefully hearing some direct atlas and vega comparisons too. Seems like probably no sense in owning both, but of course, always interested to hear.

I will say though that if absolute coherency is important, the dorado is likely not perfect there. Treble definitely has that BA timbre, while bass has the obvious DD timbre. Gets interesting in the mids though as theres not really any hard "crossover" point, potentially due to them not using crossovers.

And a couple other interesting things to note... Campfire may have taken a bit of a page out of 64s playbook. I assume they arent using any direct radiating BA's (like tia drivers), but their marketing shows it right in the stem like 64, and looking into the stem it certainly does seem like the driver is firing right out of the end of the stem. Also, none of the marketing materials strictly mention taec on campfires webpage, but I have seen it mentioned in a few places and the little instruction manual mentions it too.

Hope it hasnt made any decisions more difficult. But it really does seem in some ways what I think I was hoping the solaris would have been. A hybrid atlas, with the low end of the atlas, and a bit more balanced sound with some of the benefits up top from a BA. Im enjoying it. I doubt it plays on the same level as some of the other higher end stuff, but to my ears its close enough (though I lately begin to doubt as honestly, I find it very hard to call anything "better"), and its been an enjoyable time listening to it today. And especially so given how small it is. Its basically the same OG vega/dorado/lyra shell with a longer stem, and made from ceramic instead of metal, also with a cable where you dont have to deal with memory wire.

And as much as I love the Z1R, its HUGE. And I think its probably time to part with it as it just doesnt play nice with my ears, and I think I have enough with the Nio and dorado right now to not miss it too much.
I’m very lucky that I’m one of the few that the Z1R fits without issue. And I honestly can’t see myself selling it anytime soon. Tbh, I have been looking at the Atlas / Vega (possibly Dorado now) as an EDC so I was willing to take a slight dip in performance in that regard. I already know that I’m very fond of the Atlas sig for just sticking them in and going for a walk etc so the Dorado does sound perfect for my use case.

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #40 of 1,452
I’m very lucky that I’m one of the few that the Z1R fits without issue. And I honestly can’t see myself selling it anytime soon. Tbh, I have been looking at the Atlas / Vega (possibly Dorado now) as an EDC so I was willing to take a slight dip in performance in that regard. I already know that I’m very fond of the Atlas sig for just sticking them in and going for a walk etc so the Dorado does sound perfect for my use case.
Yea, I like the sound from the z1r quite a lot, but I have had them I think about a year now and they just dont get used because of the fit. And the dorado is almost certainly a slight dip in performance. But as I tried to get across, I really struggle to hear performance differences at these price points (even though they are technically $900 apart). Tuning seems to be the bigger differences I hear, and that to me often just comes down to preference more than anything. And, from my very not super sophisticated ears, I would say the dorado is playing ball, or at least coming pretty close. Which I think is pretty cool for something so small with only 2 drivers.

Also, for me, while I never had an issue bringing my most expensive stuff to work, I get much more hesitant taking expensive stuff for a walk, so I tend to associate so called EDC with beater pairs, and that puts me in a much lower price bracket there. Then again, Fir audio is advertising their new 5x5 as an EDC pair, and its also $1k.

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #41 of 1,452

Some Comparisons:

Oh man, you just made my decision point between a Dorado and a Nio easier. I love the Atlas so much, but find it to have just a hair less resolution than I want. You make it sound like the Dorado is just the upgrade I'm looking for. Thank you!

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #42 of 1,452
Oh man, you just made my decision point between a Dorado and a Nio easier. I love the Atlas so much, but find it to have just a hair less resolution than I want. You make it sound like the Dorado is just the upgrade I'm looking for. Thank you!
Yea I wanna be absolutely clear if you haven't seen my posts in the 64 thread. I love the Nio, but I also definitely get how its not the type of signature a lot of audiophiles would go for here. But if the description of the dorado vs nio sounds up your alley, especially as compared to the atlas. I would say its a good buy, and $600 cheaper.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #43 of 1,452
Yea I wanna be absolutely clear if you haven't seen my posts in the 64 thread. I love the Nio, but I also definitely get how its not the type of signature a lot of audiophiles would go for here. But if the description of the dorado vs nio sounds up your alley, especially as compared to the atlas. I would say its a good buy, and $600 cheaper.

Would you have any insight of the Dorado compared to the Andromeda Gold?

I'm looking for something different than the Gold and had the Solaris 2020 in mind until the Dorado 2020 were released. They seem "simpler", as in more relaxed...

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #44 of 1,452
Would you have any insight of the Dorado compared to the Andromeda Gold?

I'm looking for something different than the Gold and had the Solaris 2020 in mind until the Dorado 2020 were released. They seem "simpler", as in more relaxed...
It's also been a couple months now since I have had my andromeda gold so it's hard for me to make any direct comparisons.

Biggest thing for me that I found disappointing with the gold was the bass, as an iem advertised with 4 bass drivers, it was definitely present, but it never really did it for me. It was very much BA bass and felt like subbass wasn't really there and was lacking that physical feel. That's absolutely not the case with the dorado.

I'm not sure I would call the dorado more relaxed and my gut is telling me it's actually aiming for a similar sound as the gold was, but with the dynamic driver handling most of the work.

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #45 of 1,452
It's also been a couple months now since I have had my andromeda gold so it's hard for me to make any direct comparisons.

Biggest thing for me that I found disappointing with the gold was the bass, as an iem advertised with 4 bass drivers, it was definitely present, but it never really did it for me. It was very much BA bass and felt like subbass wasn't really there and was lacking that physical feel. That's absolutely not the case with the dorado.

I'm not sure I would call the dorado more relaxed and my gut is telling me it's actually aiming for a similar sound as the gold was, but with the dynamic driver handling most of the work.

Very interesting, thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back