Campfire Dorado 2020
Feb 20, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #376 of 1,452
And U12t is another level in terms of sound, just get right to it if you can :) Again, quite a different signature, but the one that works very well for me and doesn't require any EQ.

The u12t has great qualities but it's likely to disappoint someone who's specifically looking for a bombastic Atlas/Dorado type monitor. I know a good many people who have walked away from the u12t simply because, while sufficiently technical with an inoffensive tuning, it nonetheless doesn't offer a particularly exciting or engaging listening experience.

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #377 of 1,452
The u12t has great qualities but it's likely to disappoint someone who's specifically looking for a bombastic Atlas/Dorado type monitor.
All true, and i'm probably looking for the opposite, that's why i have the most problems with Dorado's bass and am trying to tweak it to fit my preferences.

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #378 of 1,452
All true, and i'm probably looking for the opposite, that's why i have the most problems with Dorado's bass and am trying to tweak it to fit my preferences.

Have you ever tried any VE stuff?

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #379 of 1,452
Have you ever tried any VE stuff?
Tried Elysium recently.
I was really really surprised how bad it was to be honest. Bass was weak, soundstage pretty narrow, and there was an occasional sharpness somewhere in the upper mids or treble that bothered me. It could very well be that my DAP wasn't enough for it, but U12t/A18t and especially A18s that i've tried after were great with the same DAP.
A18s is the very best i have tried so far, and a perfect fit for my preferences. Just need to think about it a bit more, if i want to go customs and spend so much on it.

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #380 of 1,452
Tried Elysium recently.
I was really really surprised how bad it was to be honest. Bass was weak, soundstage pretty narrow, and there was an occasional sharpness somewhere in the upper mids or treble that bothered me. It could very well be that my DAP wasn't enough for it, but U12t/A18t and especially A18s that i've tried after were great with the same DAP.
A18s is the very best i have tried so far, and a perfect fit for my preferences. Just need to think about it a bit more, if i want to go customs and spend so much on it.

Oof...Elysium is currently my personal favorite that I've heard...ymmv and all that. Though honestly I can see why if the the u12t/s are your faves then the Ely may not be your cup of tea.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #381 of 1,452
Oof...Elysium is currently my personal favorite that I've heard...ymmv and all that.
Maybe you're more unique in your preferences, guy in the shop has told me that almost nobody liked Elysium (enough to order the customs that is, they are specialized in customs for musicians), and that's why they don't even have a demo anymore, and it needs to be ordered from VE every time :)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #382 of 1,452
Maybe you're more unique in your preferences...almost nobody liked Elysium...they are specialized in customs for musicians

Possibly, though I know at least 20 other people who love it as much and for similar reasons as I do...so I'm not a total anomaly. For one thing I don't think Elysium is made for musicians in a professional setting (ie., for mixing or for use on a stage) and could see why it would not perform either task ideally. Elysium is made for audiophiles and specializes in facilitating an emotional connection and real intimacy with what you're listening to. It's the sort of monitor you sit down with late at night with a glass of scotch to just be present with your music. Campfire does this too, but in a more bombastic and dynamic kind of way. Elysium is not the sort of IEM whose qualities will jump out at you right away in a shop demo or any other busy setting. I didn't like it at first either but once I adjusted my player's gain to properly drive it and sat back and gave it time and space to breath it wasn't long before I was spellbound. To each their own though. (That's the last thing I'll say about Ely in the Dorado thread...sorry for the side track.)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #383 of 1,452
The u12t has great qualities but it's likely to disappoint someone who's specifically looking for a bombastic Atlas/Dorado type monitor. I know a good many people who have walked away from the u12t simply because, while sufficiently technical with an inoffensive tuning, it nonetheless doesn't offer a particularly exciting or engaging listening experience.

You’ve nailed that. Although magnificent in its technicalities I find it difficult to think of a less riveting IEM than the U12t tbh... nothing sticks in my mind about it... there’s no “attachment” so to speak and it’s kinda just there. Good for passive listening but very ‘meh’ in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #384 of 1,452
These is some driver flex. It doesn't bother me, but i know some people feel more strongly about it.
And i think i've finally found an EQ setting that works for me (mostly just reducing mid and a bit of sub bass), and Dorado sounds more balanced, while still being a lot of fun.
dorado_eq.jpg

I wouldn't call mids recessed, level of detail and the width of soundstage are pretty good too, comparable of maybe exceeding W80, but it's hard to compare them, W80 sounds veiled and muffled to me right after Dorado, and it takes my brain some time to get used to Westone sound again. Comfort-wise, W80 is much better for my ears though.
And U12t is another level in terms of sound, just get right to it if you can :) Again, quite a different signature, but the one that works very well for me and doesn't require any EQ.

That's interesting because the W80's sound clear to me compared with the W60's, which can sound dark in comparison, it's only when you use other brighter iems you notice, as you know, the W80's are really growing on me they sound more mature, less fun than the W60 - more serious. I really don't like EQ'ing, it never sounds right, maybe for a track or an album then I have to adjust again so I normally leave it alone. i read that some lessen frequency's rather than boost them, or someone else just said turn the music up which normally works for me.
I've read lots of good things about the U12t's but some say they're boring after a while - too much of a good thing?

If the W80's sound almost veiled after you listened to the Dorado's and @macdonjh prefers the bass to the U12t they could be what I'm after. Why are you selling yours because you need to EQ to get the best from them?

Feb 20, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #385 of 1,452
Boy oh boy, listen to all that controversy. :)

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #388 of 1,452
Why are you selling yours because you need to EQ to get the best from them?
I have no problem with EQ.
Selling mostly because i don't think they offer me anything special, that i don't already have with other iems, probably because i don't care for so much bass, and without it Dorado is pretty good, but not great. I would still keep them if i could get the same effortless fit as with Westones, but Dorado requires a bit more fiddling and re-adjusting for me.
But i should receive Custom Art eartips in couple of weeks, and who knows, maybe fit will be perfect and i will change my mind.

I've read lots of good things about the U12t's but some say they're boring after a while - too much of a good thing?
I find W80 more boring, and u12t works better with wider range of music, but it's just my opinion, so grain of salt and all that :)

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #390 of 1,452
I am also playing around with the idea of CA tips. Would you mind sharing your impressions and a picture of how the CA fit on the dorado 2020 when you get them?

Cheers
I have custom art tips. They weren't made specifically for the dorado, but they fit alright for the dorado. I am honestly not a fan of them with the dorado for one specific reason, since the dorado are not vented (front volume vented), the custom art tips with the dorado cause a lot of pressure in my ears and have a tendency to induce driver flex.

Fit is great, though custom art tips are larger than normal tips, so the iems stick out a bit from the ear, though since the tip is fully supported, it's not a big deal especially with how small the dorado is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back