Campfire compendium
Oct 10, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't believe there is an actual list out there except probably buried in the forums...

However let me do my best to go through the different versions...

Andromeda:
- original Andromeda, green, og tuning
- v2, shell revised to be a bit more comfortable, same tuning as og
- v3 (2019). Someone correct me if this was not a separate one. I think just another minor she'll revision, same tuning as og.
- blue and white editions, just different shell colors. Same tuning. Limited releases.
- S. Stainless steel shell, slightly different tuning, maybe a little more treble if I remember correctly. Limited release.
- 2020. Updated shell, updated tuning with solid body internal design. Current version.
- Gold. Supposedly only an Andromeda in name. Black shell with gold screws. 7 driver crossoverless configuration, different bassier tuning. Limited release.

I think there were also another few ultra limited colors that had the same tuning as the original that are not commonly found.

Solaris:
- OG, large black shells with gold colored faceplates
- Special edition, same size as original, abalone faceplates, ceramic acoustic chamber (I think), updated drivers (I think) and updated tuning. Was a limited release.
- 2020. Smaller shells, solid body internal design and updated tuning/drivers. This is the current available version.
- Limited edition, black "flower" shell, same size as og but with 2020 drivers and acoustic body design. Limited release.
- AK Solaris X. Astel and Kern collaboration, with special tuned AK drivers and different driver config (3 drivers instead of 4), Size of 2020 (I think) with red abalone faceplates. Limited release.

I think that mostly covers it. Someone can update if I missed anything or got the details wrong.

Oct 10, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 15
I don't believe there is an actual list out there except probably buried in the forums...

However let me do my best to go through the different versions...

Andromeda:
- original Andromeda, green, og tuning
- v2, shell revised to be a bit more comfortable, same tuning as og
- v3 (2019). Someone correct me if this was not a separate one. I think just another minor she'll revision, same tuning as og.
- blue and white editions, just different shell colors. Same tuning. Limited releases.
- S. Stainless steel shell, slightly different tuning, maybe a little more treble if I remember correctly. Limited release.
- 2020. Updated shell, updated tuning with solid body internal design. Current version.
- Gold. Supposedly only an Andromeda in name. Black shell with gold screws. 7 driver crossoverless configuration, different bassier tuning. Limited release.

I think there were also another few ultra limited colors that had the same tuning as the original that are not commonly found.

Solaris:
- OG, large black shells with gold colored faceplates
- Special edition, same size as original, abalone faceplates, ceramic acoustic chamber (I think), updated drivers (I think) and updated tuning. Was a limited release.
- 2020. Smaller shells, solid body internal design and updated tuning/drivers. This is the current available version.
- Limited edition, black "flower" shell, same size as og but with 2020 drivers and acoustic body design. Limited release.
- AK Solaris X. Astel and Kern collaboration, with special tuned AK drivers and different driver config (3 drivers instead of 4), Size of 2020 (I think) with red abalone faceplates. Limited release.

I think that mostly covers it. Someone can update if I missed anything or got the details wrong.

That's basically it. With Andromeda there are basically 3 different tunings-- OG, 2020 and the S version which has a more forward midrange and was tuned differently due to the acoustic properties of the solid steel (I think). All the pre-2020 versions, including the colored versions have the same tuning as far as I know and as far as I believe was advertised (though I'm sure you'll find some people who claim that the 2019 version has "more soundstage expansion" or something).

I'm one of those people who think the Andro Gold wasn't an Andromeda at all given it's totally different shell and driver arrangement...but that's a personal bias. Far be it from me to tell CFA what's an Andromeda and what's not.

@Tchoupitoulas did an in depth comparison of the different Andromedas at the "the other place" though I'm not sure if he ever posted it at HF.

The only thing I'd add is that the AK Solaris is not a Campfire product per se but an AK product that Campfire helped out with-- it was not manufactured or distributed by CFA. I'm still curious to hear how that one compares to any of the CFA Solari.

Beyond that you've got the Polaris & Polaris II (I don't know the differences between these ones), OG Dorado & Dorado 2020 (the latter is updated with a different bass driver and a ceramic shell) and the OG Vega & Vega 2020 (same update as Dorado minus the BA driver of the former).

Oct 10, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 15
This is a great idea for a thread, thank you @Deolum!

@Tchoupitoulas did an in depth comparison of the different Andromedas at the "the other place" though I'm not sure if he ever posted it at HF.
The comparison can be found here (if I'm allowed to post external links). The comparison sought to identify all of the regular and special/limited editions of the Andromeda. I refrained from making comments about the tuning of the various Andros as I've not had the pleasure of hearing all of them and because I wanted to try to offer as much factual reportage as possible rather than subjective impressions. I provided links, for instance, to document the sources of my information. Most of the info came from CA itself, or its dealers.

One of the things I wanted to try to pin down - with only limited success - was the relationship between the regular (i.e. green) Andromedas and the special/limited versions. Here's what I concluded, fwiw:

Conclusions
According to CA, the release sequence of the above IEMs is as follows: OG Andromeda, Snow White, Ice Berg, Pacific Blue, Andromeda S, updated Andromeda (2019), Gold, MW10, and finally, the 2020. This sequence, and the official descriptions and photos (if the dealers’ websites are also to be trusted), suggest that the special editions served as opportunities for innovating the IEMs and that some of these innovations were incorporated into the emerald green versions. Also, while there appear to have been changes made to the OG Andromeda some time in 2017 or 2018, they may just have been cosmetic, as with the milling and the use of different screws. The only stated instances of official changes to Andromeda’s sound signature are with the Andro S, Gold, MW10, and now the 2020.

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 15
This is a great idea for a thread, thank you @Deolum!

The comparison can be found here (if I'm allowed to post external links). The comparison sought to identify all of the regular and special/limited editions of the Andromeda. I refrained from making comments about the tuning of the various Andros as I've not had the pleasure of hearing all of them and because I wanted to try to offer as much factual reportage as possible rather than subjective impressions. I provided links, for instance, to document the sources of my information. Most of the info came from CA itself, or its dealers.

One of the things I wanted to try to pin down - with only limited success - was the relationship between the regular (i.e. green) Andromedas and the special/limited versions. Here's what I concluded, fwiw:
Thats perfect. There is also a comparison of the Solaris models. So looks like Andromeda version doesn't matter because they are all around equally good but the 2020 is the best and concerning the Solaris all versions are okay except the 2020 because that one sucks.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 15
the Solaris all versions are okay except the 2020 because that one sucks.

I don't think that's fair. I know it was subject to more criticism than early versions, and I don't have as much experience with it as I do with the OG or SE...but it's fondly regarded by many and it's still one of the best hybrid options out there at the price point imho.

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 15
I just did a review of the Astell & Kern Solaris X

Granted, I haven't tried the Andromedas or Solaris to compare to, the only comparisons I have are to my AK (JH Audio) Michelles and Tansio Mirai LANDs. Compared to the Michelles, the Solaris X is noticeably richer and more detailed with the layering, with a wider soundstage with more detailed and prominent mids. Compared to the LANDs, the Solaris X is a more relaxed, laid back presentation and the soundstage to me is slightly wider and deeper as well, whereas the LANDs are more forward and lively. They are both very detailed IEMs and about the same when it comes to imaging. The main issue that me and my friend noticed with the Solaris X (using an AK SE100 DAP as the source) is the trebles are recessed a bit, they're still there but we would have liked it if AK / Campfire would have added some more treble - but this might have been AK's goal all along is to create a more smoother presentation as I've never tried the original Solaris. The TSMRs (and maybe the Michelles too from memory) definitely have more prominent treble and are a nice balanced pair of IEMs overall but I find the TSMRs trebles can even be overextended a bit and if the volume is turned up can become slightly sibilant as well. The Solaris X never has those issues and of course in Campfire tradition are easily amongst the most sensitive IEMs on the market, but because of the laid back delivery I have a hard time believing they will ever get harsh even at higher volumes.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 15
I just did a review of the Astell & Kern Solaris X

Granted, I haven't tried the Andromedas or Solaris to compare to, the only comparisons I have are to my AK (JH Audio) Michelles and Tansio Mirai LANDs. Compared to the Michelles, the Solaris X is noticeably richer and more detailed with the layering, with a wider soundstage with more detailed and prominent mids. Compared to the LANDs, the Solaris X is a more relaxed, laid back presentation and the soundstage to me is slightly wider and deeper as well, whereas the LANDs are more forward and lively. They are both very detailed IEMs and about the same when it comes to imaging. The main issue that me and my friend noticed with the Solaris X (using an AK SE100 DAP as the source) is the trebles are recessed a bit, they're still there but we would have liked it if AK / Campfire would have added some more treble - but this might have been AK's goal all along is to create a more smoother presentation as I've never tried the original Solaris. The TSMRs (and maybe the Michelles too from memory) definitely have more prominent treble and are a nice balanced pair of IEMs overall but I find the TSMRs trebles can even be overextended a bit and if the volume is turned up can become slightly sibilant as well. The Solaris X never has those issues and of course in Campfire tradition are easily amongst the most sensitive IEMs on the market, but because of the laid back delivery I have a hard time believing they will ever get harsh even at higher volumes.

Thanks for those impressions-- are you from Vancouver, BC?

Oct 11, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 15

Do you still have the Solaris X or was it just a review unit? I'd love a chance to hear it and would possibly be open to a loaner trade if you are open to it. You're pretty new here (are you a member of any other audio communities?) and I'd have to look into it but I'd love to consider you for participation on our upcoming Vision Ears Canadian tour if you're interested.

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 15
Do you still have the Solaris X or was it just a review unit? I'd love a chance to hear it and would possibly be open to a loaner trade if you are open to it. You're pretty new here (are you a member of any other audio communities?) and I'd have to look into it but I'd love to consider you for participation on our upcoming Vision Ears Canadian tour if you're interested.

Oh cool. Yeah I am not new to audio but I did spend a lot of money this year finally upgrading my audio systems - $4k for my desktop setup, $3k for my home theater setup and $2k for my portable setup (which includes the Solaris X and my AK DAP)

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 15
Oh cool. Yeah I am not new to audio but I did spend a lot of money this year finally upgrading my audio systems - $4k for my desktop setup, $3k for my home theater setup and $2k for my portable setup (which includes the Solaris X and my AK DAP)

Cheers...well welcome to the community. If you wind up sticking around we'd love to have you as a part of our blossoming tour circuit. The more Canadians the merrier :)

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 15
I happen to prefer the sound sig of the Solaris 2020 over the OG and LE Solaris, and, I don’t think either suck. Just like I prefer the Andromeda Gold over the highly coveted MW10 but do kick myself for selling my MW10’s to a friend after I found out about custom ear tips. I have small ears and ear canals so that could have contributed to preferring the 2020’s smaller body due to far far better figment/placement and staying in place for a good seal. I had a similar issue with the MW10 and the regular green Andromeda but that was due to the short nozzle and having a really hard time with sealing outside of using foam tips. An hour or so with foam tips is my comfort limit and I’ve tried many brands and sizes with no luck.

With that said, I suppose you could say I’m with Camp 2020…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back