Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #991 of 1,247
Shout-out to the Campfire thread! I'm hoping you guys can help me out a bit. I have a pair of the CIEM version of the Supermoons and I absolutely love them. A friend of mine is really interested in the Supermoons, but he prefers the fit of universal IEMs with silicone tips because he says CIEMs feel weird in his ears so he only uses them live and wants the SMs for listening to music on his downtime.

With that in mind, he asked me if I knew if both versions of the SMs, universal and custom, sound the same. I assume that they do, but I have had both the universal and custom version of a different IEM from another manufacturer who shall remain nameless and I actually found them to have some significant audible differences. Given that experience, I figured I would ask around here to see if the Campfire employees or my fellow enthusiasts/owners/users on this thread can shed some light on the issue.

Have any of you tried both the UIEM and CIEM versions of the Supermoons? Did you notice any differences? Any impressions, info, and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! 🙏😎

P.S. I just added the Bonnevilles to my Campfire lineup about a week ago and I have found them to be a pretty fun listen. They have been particularly great when listening to anything with a funky baseline. I don't think they'll be unseating my Supermoons as my favorite Campfire IEM, but they're carving out a nice place in my arsenal alongside the SMs, Andro 2020s, and the enigmatic, but still well loved by me Polaris IIs. 👍😎

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #992 of 1,247
With that in mind, he asked me if I knew if both versions of the SMs, universal and custom, sound the same. I assume that they do, but I have had both the universal and custom version of a different IEM from another manufacturer who shall remain nameless and I actually found them to have some significant audible differences. Given that experience, I figured I would ask around here to see if the Campfire employees or my fellow enthusiasts/owners/users on this thread can shed some light on the issue.

UIEM will NEVER sound the same as CIEM because of tip material affecting sound signature. If anything, CIEM should sound fuller/thicker in the bass than its UIEM counterpart

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #993 of 1,247
UIEM will NEVER sound the same as CIEM because of tip material affecting sound signature. If anything, CIEM should sound fuller/thicker in the bass than its UIEM counterpart

This was my experience when I tried both versions of the IEM I was talking about above, but I have been told by more than one manufacturer that "proper" tip choice and fit on a properly designed UIEM should make the differences between custom and universal versions extremely small. After hearing that, I figured I would just ask here to see what people thought specifically about the SMs if they had tried both versions rather than assuming or extrapolating.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only person who thinks that the potential for differences is significant so thanks for your response. I told my friend that I'd recommend the custom version of the Supermoons wholeheartedly, but that I'm unsure as to how much the performance would differ on the universal version. My assumption would be that the universal SMs are still a great IEM that many love and would recommend. My question here was just my way of trying to confirm that so I don't steer him in the wrong direction.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #994 of 1,247
This was my experience when I tried both versions of the IEM I was talking about above, but I have been told by more than one manufacturer that "proper" tip choice and fit on a properly designed UIEM should make the differences between custom and universal versions extremely small. After hearing that, I figured I would just ask here to see what people thought specifically about the SMs if they had tried both versions rather than assuming or extrapolating.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only person who thinks that the potential for differences is significant so thanks for your response. I told my friend that I'd recommend the custom version of the Supermoons wholeheartedly, but that I'm unsure as to how much the performance would differ on the universal version. My assumption would be that the universal SMs are still a great IEM that many love and would recommend. My question here was just my way of trying to confirm that so I don't steer him in the wrong direction.
I think if the UIEM fits well and deep in the war canal, it should sound quite close to CIEM.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #995 of 1,247
I think if the UIEM fits well and deep in the war canal, it should sound quite close to CIEM.

Spinfit CP240 can do the trick at the bass, but the material in the bore takes away some energy to my ears leading to blunter dynamic transients compared to standard silicone tips

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #996 of 1,247

29406.png
Think of tips as picking a green. They're all forest green, and to some eyes there's not a difference one cares for; it doesn't jump out at you. Others enjoy describing the subtle differences between each of these shades and hues with a connection to the particulars that resonate.

It's not a deal breaker, but there's a difference 😉

Edit: the difference between far left and right is getting a proper seal 🤭 actual tip rolling lies in the middle 3

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #998 of 1,247
Shout-out to the Campfire thread! I'm hoping you guys can help me out a bit. I have a pair of the CIEM version of the Supermoons and I absolutely love them. A friend of mine is really interested in the Supermoons, but he prefers the fit of universal IEMs with silicone tips because he says CIEMs feel weird in his ears so he only uses them live and wants the SMs for listening to music on his downtime.

Have any of you tried both the UIEM and CIEM versions of the Supermoons? Did you notice any differences? Any impressions, info, and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! 🙏😎

P.S. I just added the Bonnevilles to my Campfire lineup about a week ago and I have found them to be a pretty fun listen. They have been particularly great when listening to anything with a funky baseline. I don't think they'll be unseating my Supermoons as my favorite Campfire IEM, but they're carving out a nice place in my arsenal alongside the SMs, Andro 2020s, and the enigmatic, but still well loved by me Polaris IIs. 👍😎

Hi @JAnonymous5150! Thanks for joining us here in the CA thread. As others have noted, there will be some sonic differences between a CIEM and Universal. This is due to a couple of factors, like ear geometry, fit depth, and the lack of ear-tip material. Generally speaking, we find a slight increase to bass and overall 'fullness' of sound, due to the improved isolation and fit of a CIEM.

Generally, the sonic profile of a universal to CIEM is preserved and there are just some slight differences, these differences can be even more marginal depending on eartip selection.

Also glad to hear that you're enjoying Bonneville! It looks like you've got a pretty sweet CA collection going! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 8, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #1,000 of 1,247
Hi @JAnonymous5150! Thanks for joining us here in the CA thread. As others have noted, there will be some sonic differences between a CIEM and Universal. This is due to a couple of factors, like ear geometry, fit depth, and the lack of ear-tip material. Generally speaking, we find a slight increase to bass and overall 'fullness' of sound, due to the improved isolation and fit of a CIEM.

Generally, the sonic profile of a universal to CIEM is preserved and there are just some slight differences, these differences can be even more marginal depending on eartip selection.

Also glad to hear that you're enjoying Bonneville! It looks like you've got a pretty sweet CA collection going! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hey have a question. There has been discussion about what manufacturers do in regards to selling their IEM's with the stock cable, and how that works into the development process. Are your IEM's sold with the expectation that people will upgrade them or do you send a specific cable with x properties out as the stock cable? Or is it just way more casual than that. For example, with any of the new Chromatic series.

Is it safe to assume you make multiple iterations of a IEM to get to or find the sound you want to bring to market? So during this entire process of getting the iEM to where you are happy enough with it to bring it to market, do you maintain a sort of chain integrity throughout this process? From the source to the cable basically. But especially the cable. Do you keep the cable the same during the process or is it just grab any random cable that reaches x spec. how do you decide which cable to ship as the stock cable with your IEMs? Does it relate to the development stage in any way? How similar is the stock cable vs the development process cables, etc...

Would love to get a little insight on this fascinating process. Thanks!

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #1,001 of 1,247
@CFA Chris Will the Fathom be tuned anywhere close to the Andromeda Gold TI?

Yes, relative to our broader lineup, Fathom is in a similar area as Andro Gold Ti. Fathom is a bit closer to classic Andro in terms of sound while Andro Gold Ti is closer to Ara. The main difference being the boost on the highs being higher and the bass being a touch more reserved on the Andro Gold.

To my ear, Fathom really outperforms a lot of our earphones in this area of the spectrum with its mids/vocal presentation.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Apr 8, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #1,002 of 1,247
I have posted about my recent journey with my new Campfire Solaris Mercury (2020) and how I have sorted out some issues and ultimately come around to liking them a lot.

However, that experimentation with sources got me to thinking about why Campfire IEM are typically so sensitive ?

Less sensitive IEM are much easier to manage in that regard at least in my experience and it seems to me to be to their detriment since they are so susceptible to picking up hiss from even reasonably decent pretty typical modern gear on which I have never picked up any hiss with more typically sensitive IEM. A FiiO M11 Plus for example, they pick up faint hiss out of the 4.4mm so I use the 3.5mm which is silent. It is very faint from the 4.4mm but it is there. That isn't a high end DAP of course but it is pretty respectable gear nonetheless. Chord Mojo, very obvious, iFi Go Bar, extremely obvious.

Is that a design decision based on something that isn't apparent to me ?

Is that a holdover from earlier design decisions based around earlier sources and has continued on ?

Is it a byproduct of some other design decision in respect of the driver set up, crossovers etc ?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #1,003 of 1,247
Campfire doesn't use linear impedance design and no crossovers. On some amps such as the Schiit Vali 2++ believe it or not Campfire BA IEMs DO NOT HISS all even though it's a tube amp with 1000x worse THD+N than a typical DAP

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #1,005 of 1,247
@CFA Chris Will the Fathom be tuned anywhere close to the Andromeda Gold TI?
If you can find an Andro Gold, especially a TI, in good condition I would recommend it 10/10. I was super lucky to find one on the classifieds back in 2020 :) I'll never part with it.

@theveterans I forgot to multi-quote 🤭But yes! If you remember how surprised I was at how good the Vali2++ was, I would totally take a Vali 3 (0.5 L/1.8 H) as well for IEM's. I can only get away with the Valhalla 2 using the RN6 (26ohms). Everything else is I have too low impedance even for low gain (5.7 Ohms).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back