Campfire Chat - Official Campfire Audio 2024 Thread!
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #721 of 1,152
Thank you
I moved too slow on blackstar ☺️
Any extras available 😀

We're out of stock on them and their production run is finished. But there are some dealers that still have them in stock, so you may want to check around. I think Bloom possibly has some but I'm not 100% on that.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #722 of 1,152
Agree.

I only use foam tips so not much point in tip rolling I guess? (can foam tips sound different?)

I used many hours trying to EQ my Dorado2020 (using my Mojo2) but ended up selling them because I could not get the sound I wanted (expensive blind buy like you said...).
Symbio foam tips + hybrid, Comply, Linsoul Tin foams, Ludos, Dekoni, Zotech hybrid, Xcessor FX, ... there are plenty of foams with different shape, material and density to roll ...

Share the experience ... I also rotated a few IEMs until I found those I really enjoy and that should be difficult to match sound-wise but I am keeping the same EQs

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #723 of 1,152
IMG_3920.jpeg

New addition to my Campfire family. As a big fan of their no-longer-so-new DD as well as Solaris, I’m not sure what took me so long. But glad I just squeaked under the line with what must be one of the last few Black Star units.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #724 of 1,152
IMG_3920.jpeg

New addition to my Campfire family. As a big fan of their no-longer-so-new DD as well as Solaris, I’m not sure what took me so long. But glad I just squeaked under the line with what must be one of the last few Black Star units.
Enjoy that little slice of heaven, such a gem.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #725 of 1,152
Enjoy that little slice of heaven, such a gem.
Interestingly Blackstar and Bonneville have similar driver config, have you compare those two before you decide on Blackstar? I like Bonneville a lot.

PS, just checked out the short comparison by @Rockwell75, it seems that Black Star is flat while Bonneville is more exciting (more V shape?).

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #726 of 1,152
Interestingly Blackstar and Bonneville have similar driver config, have you compare those two before you decide on Blackstar? I like Bonneville a lot.

PS, just checked out the short comparison by @Rockwell75, it seems that Black Star is flat while Bonneville is more exciting (more V shape?).
They are more similar than not. BS is a bit more open with a tad less mid bass than Bonneville, but both have similar low end punch. Other than the slight difference in the bass, the soundstages are also slightly different with BS having a taller and more 3d soundstage to my ears. YMMV.

BS is such a great iem and value, really too bad it was limited.

Mar 2, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #727 of 1,152
6 BA...so probably not my thing.

They look amazing but before considering pulling a trigger, I would have three questions:
- What is the finishing made of? Is it still the beautiful, albeit hideously-fragile, anodized finishing or is it a new type of finishing?
- Is T.E.A.C. not been used anymore to improve on highs?
- How does it compare with OG vs. 2020? Which of the two sounds it is leaning towards to?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #728 of 1,152
They are more similar than not. BS is a bit more open with a tad less mid bass than Bonneville, but both have similar low end punch. Other than the slight difference in the bass, the soundstages are also slightly different with BS having a taller and more 3d soundstage to my ears. YMMV.

Thanks, that's a lot more detailed. Bonneville mid-bass is very prominent, would be great if I can demo both side by side. I may just ended up with Bonneville.

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #729 of 1,152

Pretty much squares with my impressions as well. I also find Black Star more coherent than Bonneville, whereas Bonneville has more of Cascara’s bombast, carried across a few different drivers.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #730 of 1,152

There seem to be some BS just landed in Australia. Hopefully I can demo one unit. I’m itching for a new CFA in my collection, but have not been convinced by the 2023 chromatic line up. This one might just be the one. or maybe the new Fathom

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #731 of 1,152
Thanks, that's a lot more detailed. Bonneville mid-bass is very prominent, would be great if I can demo both side by side. I may just ended up with Bonneville.
I'll have it with me in NY!

Mar 2, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #732 of 1,152
Pretty much squares with my impressions as well. I also find Black Star more coherent than Bonneville, whereas Bonneville has more of Cascara’s bombast, carried across a few different drivers.
I have a feeling I will eventually get a Cascara precisely for its bombastic nature. I think it would make a nice complement to Black Star and Ara. The only semi bassy IEM I have is Onyx. I'm not sure where it slots in in the bigger line up. It never seems to do well in direct comparisons. These days it's starting to fall out of rotation in favor of its more refined cousins. I just picked up a copper litz cable with mic from Marketplace, so Holocene is going to live with Onyx on my work desk.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #733 of 1,152
Mar 2, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #734 of 1,152
Fathom is very intriguing. I can’t wait to hear impressions. I haven’t had an all BA CFA since the Andromeda 2020, and the only one currently in my collection is the A12t which has that relaxed 64 audio signature. Although that’s not bad per se, I tend to favor CFA’s approach to tunings. :)

CFA do a great job with their BA sets. I’m pretty excited for this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back