Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #4,546 of 5,394
Well, Ive had to chime again.
Just received my complys T400 sample with all sizes and to avoid using 2 variables on equation, Ive stoped the burnin process with about 10hs (over the past 100hs of last week) and tried it again with the same tips Ive been using...Resulting in massive bass all over the music and tons of sibilance (as predicted).
Well, Ive always used my inears medium to small tips with deep canal insertion, today with the complys Ihve had the same results for medium and small, so why not to try the large the ones.
Ohhh boy that was a Fc&6ing huge change! Using the large complys with shallow canal insertion the mighty vega started to shine. Everything changed... starting from the bass til the treble.
Never heard anything like this straight out my 6s+. Im still speachless,o.O
Vega is trully a beast, this is me now :D with a huge smile. Can wait to get back home and try it on ZX2.

Dec 19, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #4,547 of 5,394
Just received my complys T400 sample with all sizes and to avoid using 2 variables on equation, Ive stoped the burnin process with about 10hs (over the past 100hs of last week) and tried it again with the same tips Ive been using...Resulting in massive bass all over the music and tons of sibilance (as predicted).
Well, Ive always used my inears medium to small tips with deep canal insertion, today with the complys Ihve had the same results for medium and small, so why not to try the large the ones.
Ohhh boy that was a Fc&6ing huge change! Using the large complys with shallow canal insertion the mighty vega started to shine. Everything changed... starting from the bass til the treble.
Vega is trully a beast, this is me now :D with a huge smile. Can wait to get back home and try it on ZX2.

had the same experience with large tips!

Dec 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #4,549 of 5,394
So glad you found a workable option!!!

Dec 19, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #4,550 of 5,394
About 75 hours into burning in the balanced on the ZX300 with the ALO Ref8.

Mids and high come forward and are more present and clear than on the Litz + SE. Vocal Sibilance can be an issue on certain tracks, but instruments such as cymbals sound fine to me. Ed Sheeran's Castles on the Hill is painful to listen to for instance. Sounds like he's spitting directly into the mic. Bass is still present and clear with a bit more separation.

Is the Ref8 + balanced worth it? I think it's pretty subjective. The Vegas are already exciting and forward sounding with the Litz. The Ref8 makes the Litz almost sound calm in comparison. The thing just absolutely slams with excitement and energy. It is a hell of a fun listen. It's like being at a concert or actually listening to an orchestra in person. If you want a calmer and more laid back feel, I'd stick with the Litz.

Dec 19, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,551 of 5,394
About 75 hours into burning in the balanced on the ZX300 with the ALO Ref8.

Mids and high come forward and are more present and clear than on the Litz + SE. Vocal Sibilance can be an issue on certain tracks, but instruments such as cymbals sound fine to me. Ed Sheeran's Castles on the Hill is painful to listen to for instance. Sounds like he's spitting directly into the mic. Bass is still present and clear with a bit more separation.

Is the Ref8 + balanced worth it? I think it's pretty subjective. The Vegas are already exciting and forward sounding with the Litz. The Ref8 makes the Litz almost sound calm in comparison. The thing just absolutely slams with excitement and energy. It is a hell of a fun listen. It's like being at a concert or actually listening to an orchestra in person. If you want a calmer and more laid back feel, I'd stick with the Litz.
Honestly, that whole album is mastered pretty badly. It is tough to listen to in general, unfortunately.

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #4,552 of 5,394
@Chefano: Awesome!!

I’m not sure where this leaves me though, as I use large tips to begin with. I had to ask the guy at Addicted to Audio if the Spinfits on the demo pair were indeed large!
Spinfit large are not large enough for my canals so they never worked for me. Their size L just are not as large as other brands, similar to the Ortofon tips when they used to be the rage.

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #4,554 of 5,394
The majority of my other music sounds great. Will write Divide it off as that. Which is a bit of a shame, I do like his music and feel like it should be a great candidate for good high quality mastering.

Def disappointing bc X sounds great. Make it Rain is sounds amazing to me. Divide is like super shouty and bright.

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #4,555 of 5,394
How different was it aside from the heavy mid/low base?. I went ahead and bought the Vega I should have it by sometime next week.
I've been REALLY enjoying this OST. Thanks again.

Tonight, I wondered on the off chance that it might be out on vinyl. Square Enix is actually taking preorders. It's 15 tracks over 2 LPs. Here's the track list.

1 - City of Ruins - Rays of Light
2 - End of the Unknown
3 - Birth of a Wish
4 - Vague Hope - Cold Rain
5 - Amusement Park
6 - A Beautiful Song
7 - Pascal
8 - Mourning
9 - Peaceful Sleep
10 - Alien Manifestation
11 - The Sound of the End
12 - Copied City
13 - Dependant Walking
14 - Bipolar Nightmare
15 - Weigh of the World [English]
(from discogs)

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/460234/nier-automata-original-soundtrack-vinyl

I just placed an order. This will be surreal!

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #4,556 of 5,394
So, just wanted to chime in. I recently got the Lyra II (thanks @Doug2507 ) . Coming from the CA Novas, the difference in fit is night and day: the smaller shell leads to slightly deeper insertion and the rounded corners are way more comfortable. The isolation (With comply t-500 on both) isn't as good as with the Novas but it's more than enough for public transport.

In terms of sound, I mostly have what I want - "wetter" bass. What I do miss from the novas are the mids - vocals, especially, don't have the same effect. But it's not bad at all. Spoken works as well don't have the same clarity/intelligibility but I guess that's inherent to BA vs DD.

Having said that, I do have one "issue" - sometimes, when they havent been used for a few hours, I can hear "clicks" (for example, cymbal strikes or claps, etc). This goes away after a few minutes of play time (5-10). I can live with that though.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #4,557 of 5,394
Like Hotzigity, I just received a pair of Lyra II from a fellow Head-fier (thank you, Hejjafish). I'm working up a more detailed report, but first impressions:

Can be balanced, but when the bass is heavy, holy cow! If these are supposed to be baby Vegas I don't know how Vega owners survive their experiences. My first tracks were Rush, "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight". Bass in both was nearly overwhelming. That really high-pitched, almost whistling note Alex Lifeson holds near the end of "Limelight" is disappointing through the Lyra II. It normally almost hurts my ears, but is quite down in level in these IEM. However, Warren Zevon's "Backs Turned Looking Down the Path", Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall II" and Jeff Beck's "Air Blower" were all better balanced, with the bass providing a satisfying rumbling foundation. In fact, even if I decide I don't like the Lyra II that much I may have to keep them for "Another Brick in the Wall II" alone. The Lyra II handle the bass and David Gilmour's guitar wonderfully.

I need to listen to some classical and jazz, too.

Comfort isn't that good yet. The Spintfit silicone tips are either too big for comfort or too small to seal well. The small Comply seal well, but are slightly too big for comfort. I took out a pair of Westone Star tips, but had to laugh at myself. The ear tube of the Westone W3 I have is so much smaller than that of the Lyra II.

I don't like the memory wire. I do like the Litz cable, though. It's pretty, it's flexible, non-microphonic.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #4,558 of 5,394
Like Hotzigity, I just received a pair of Lyra II from a fellow Head-fier (thank you, Hejjafish). I'm working up a more detailed report, but first impressions:

Can be balanced, but when the bass is heavy, holy cow! If these are supposed to be baby Vegas I don't know how Vega owners survive their experiences. My first tracks were Rush, "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight". Bass in both was nearly overwhelming. That really high-pitched, almost whistling note Alex Lifeson holds near the end of "Limelight" is disappointing through the Lyra II. It normally almost hurts my ears, but is quite down in level in these IEM. However, Warren Zevon's "Backs Turned Looking Down the Path", Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall II" and Jeff Beck's "Air Blower" were all better balanced, with the bass providing a satisfying rumbling foundation. In fact, even if I decide I don't like the Lyra II that much I may have to keep them for "Another Brick in the Wall II" alone. The Lyra II handle the bass and David Gilmour's guitar wonderfully.

I need to listen to some classical and jazz, too.

Comfort isn't that good yet. The Spintfit silicone tips are either too big for comfort or too small to seal well. The small Comply seal well, but are slightly too big for comfort. I took out a pair of Westone Star tips, but had to laugh at myself. The ear tube of the Westone W3 I have is so much smaller than that of the Lyra II.

I don't like the memory wire. I do like the Litz cable, though. It's pretty, it's flexible, non-microphonic.
I've found that the best tip match for me is the RHA Dual-Density Silicone Tips. I got a 3pk of (M) for like $6 +shipping. I got the fit to be ultra stable after I finally decided to remove the memory wire and heat shrink. I was wary of such a modification and am so grateful that I did.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #4,559 of 5,394
HeartofSky, thanks for that. I like recommendations I can try for $5! Much different than the DP thread I'm watching.

Do you have OD dimensions for the RHA tips you are using? Amazon only states L/M/S, but no measurements to tell you what RHA considers "medium".

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #4,560 of 5,394
HeartofSky, thanks for that. Do you have OD dimensions for the RHA tips you are using? Amazon only states L/M/S, but no measurements to tell you what RHA considers "medium".
I ordered direct from RHA Audio, but even their site doesn't appear to list measurements.

I just placed my tips on a ruler and got this:
(S) = 10mm
(M) = 12mm
(L) = 13mm

EDIT - just checked the box and literature for my RHA T20 and there is nothing stating the measurements. :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back