Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Dec 24, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #4,561 of 5,394
Arrgh, I accidentally deleted a more detailed impression.

Let me simply put it this way. Since owning the Lyra II's, I've been paying particular, renewed attention to the sound mix when I've gone out to various live music venues. The slight elevation of bass in the balance, the attenuation of treble clarity in relation to distance from the stage, etc. And I absolutely get that sense of natural presentation and a connection to the analog sources I grew up with when listening to with the Lyra's. Very satisfying.

Natural, coherent, musical, detailed, and a beautifully balanced, textured bass. A joy. Couldn't be happier!:smile_phones:

Nice to hear another Head-fier sharing the same sentiments of the Lyra 2. I own a few decent full size headphones but the Lyra 2s were my first big spend on IEMs and I wanted something like the IE800 but more natural sounding and good for long listening sessions. They did just that for me and with a timbre to instruments much better than the IE800 I demo'd. The bass is no slouch although the IE800 gives the impression of deeper subbass. I would still choose the Lyra 2 over again and it really helps me kill time on my boring flights I do back and forth two times a year from Perú. The isolation is good enough to cancel out the cabin noise and the whole sound signature is smooth but not rolling off all the details with very engaging vocals much like my HD600.

With my Chord Mojo and Fiio X3II it is bewildering to me how anyone could truly enjoy these from a phone. They are kind of power hungry and my Samsung Galaxy S7 doesn't provide the power that the Mojo has to make them sound as dynamic. When hooked up to the Mojo I can just shut my eyes and fall asleep on a low-medium volume and the hours just disappear on my flight. Helps having a full 120gb of music too on my Fiio.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #4,562 of 5,394
wahsmoh, Thank you for those comments about your experience with the Sennheiser IE-800. I was thinking that those may end up being the IEMs for me. They still might be, I won't know until I try them. I like the Sennheiser sound; I had HD580 for years. After they finally wore out I replaced them with HifiMAN HE-500 as an ode to my much-missed Apogee Stage speakers. In my short time with my Lyra II I get the same impression you do: they need a bit of power behind them to sound right. I've been consistently turning the volume higher with my Lyra II than I do with my Westone W3. Goosing Lyra II helps a lot.

More to come, I need to listen to a few more long-time favorite songs before I post my impression of Lyra II.

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #4,563 of 5,394
Nice to hear another Head-fier sharing the same sentiments of the Lyra 2. I own a few decent full size headphones but the Lyra 2s were my first big spend on IEMs and I wanted something like the IE800 but more natural sounding and good for long listening sessions. They did just that for me and with a timbre to instruments much better than the IE800 I demo'd. The bass is no slouch although the IE800 gives the impression of deeper subbass. I would still choose the Lyra 2 over again and it really helps me kill time on my boring flights I do back and forth two times a year from Perú. The isolation is good enough to cancel out the cabin noise and the whole sound signature is smooth but not rolling off all the details with very engaging vocals much like my HD600.

With my Chord Mojo and Fiio X3II it is bewildering to me how anyone could truly enjoy these from a phone. They are kind of power hungry and my Samsung Galaxy S7 doesn't provide the power that the Mojo has to make them sound as dynamic. When hooked up to the Mojo I can just shut my eyes and fall asleep on a low-medium volume and the hours just disappear on my flight. Helps having a full 120gb of music too on my Fiio.

You're absolutely right, they thrive with more power! They've really opened up and tightened up with my new Shanling M3s with just SE. And I just ordered a balanced cable from Plussound last night, which will double the available power reserve. Looking forward to trying that out! Cheers,:beerchug:

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #4,565 of 5,394
Dang it, I’ve enjoyed an amp free life with my Shures.

The amp would have to be no bigger and not much heavier than a cigarette packet lol. Okay, maybe not the last citerium, but it must be pocketable.
If you have a good enough DAP they don't need an amp. They sound perfectly great out of my 300R

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #4,567 of 5,394
Dec 24, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #4,568 of 5,394
Comfort isn't that good yet. The Spintfit silicone tips are either too big for comfort or too small to seal well. The small Comply seal well, but are slightly too big for comfort.

I would strongly suggest you try a wide-bore tip, JVC Spiral Dots or best of all to my ear - the Symbio W's, before firming up your impressions of the Lyras II's. I found the Comply's, and the Spin-fits in particular to congest, muddy, over enhance the lows, while significantly rolling-off the detail in the highs. Regular silicone was horrible - thin and tinny sounding.

The Spiral dots are usually my go to with other iem's, supremely comfortable and allowing full, detailed highs, but with the Lyra's the Symbio W's rule. Refined and punchy. Go a size down from usual with the Symbio's. I rolled and I rolled. And that's how I roll. :gs1000smile:

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #4,569 of 5,394
Thanks for the leads on the tips. I've got several different kinds in my Amazon basket. I didn't find Symbio on Amazon, did you buy yours direct?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #4,571 of 5,394
I would strongly suggest you try a wide-bore tip, JVC Spiral Dots or best of all to my ear - the Symbio W's, before firming up your impressions of the Lyras II's. I found the Comply's, and the Spin-fits in particular to congest, muddy, over enhance the lows, while significantly rolling-off the detail in the highs. Regular silicone was horrible - thin and tinny sounding.

The Spiral dots are usually my go to with other iem's, supremely comfortable and allowing full, detailed highs, but with the Lyra's the Symbio W's rule. Refined and punchy. Go a size down from usual with the Symbio's. I rolled and I rolled. And that's how I roll. :gs1000smile:

Yupp, I finally got some Small Wide Symbio the other day and yes it's even better than ML Spiral Dots.

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #4,572 of 5,394
The Symbios will fit the Lyra II? MandarinE says the Symbio ID is 4.5mm, but I measured the Lyra II sound tube as 5.75mm OD. I'm sure they stretch, but...
Also, does anyone have OD measurements for the S/M/L sizes?

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #4,573 of 5,394
The Symbios will fit the Lyra II? MandarinE says the Symbio ID is 4.5mm, but I measured the Lyra II sound tube as 5.75mm OD. I'm sure they stretch, but...
Yes, Symbio W will fit onto Lyra II. I no longer have my S/L sizes, since I gave them away, but my M measures 12mm.

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #4,574 of 5,394

Of course they will fit. That's why we're recommending them!

S/M/L = 11/12/13mm. You can order any combination of sizes in the 3 piece package from him.

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #4,575 of 5,394
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back