Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV
Apr 11, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #3,541 of 5,394
Just now testing out my brand new Vega with Alo ref 8 cable from CanJam. Tidal via iPhone and Mojo. Wowww so good. What can I expect after break-in and how much of it would you say they need? The treble is a tad shrill right now and vocals have some grain, but from past experience with my old SE846s, that usually mellows out with time..I hope. Listening to them fresh out the box on a Hugo 2(which I also bought via pre-order from TSAV)yesterday was pure smooth goodness though so I'm a bit confused. Any help?

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #3,542 of 5,394
I have owned the Vegas for more than 2 months now. They are the clearest, crispest and most dynamic phones I have. I also own the Dita Truths, Fitear Parterres, Sony EX 1000s, IE800, Audeze Sine and Grady PS500.
The Vegas were the ones I’d listen to when I wanted to be impressed by my music collection (Tidal).
Then I walked into Jaben in Singapore last week just to buy ear tips and grumbled that they never have a ready TG334 for me to buy. I could not order one from them as I am currently based in Shanghai. They had a limited edition Chinese New Year red version in stock. So I bought it.
I first encountered the TG334 when it first came out and loved it. Could not afford it at the time and managed the Parterres as the closest to what I was looking for.Eventually, I gave up on the Parterres as I found I prefer the sound of dynamic drivers. There is a greater immediacy to them.
When I got the Vegas, they trumped every phone I owned. They are more immediate, clear and detailed. But I kept going back to my Dita Truths as I feel that the Truths have a more “analog” like quality to them even as the bass does not extend as low and the mids sound a little recessed by comparison. But the mids on the Truths had a more “silky” quality to them. On the Vegas the mids, voices, are more clear and clinical.
Now, also because they are new, I am listening to my TG334 mostly. It is like the singer is in front of you. The mids remind me of my audition of the LCD4. The kind that with the right song, moves you emotionally. And that is my current view of my two favorite phones. The Vegas are when I want to “see” my music in all its crystal clarity (with a bass boost that is well judged and also very clear). The TG334 is when I want my music to move me emotionally (especially with female vocals).

Wanted to set out the contrast as I thought some may find it interesting. And I notice the TG334 does not get very much attention anymore. Given the current state of equipment in the market, if my Vegas or TG334s fail, I will replace them. I cannot say the same for my other phones.

(Tried to insert a photo of my TG334 and Vegas but could not)

I listen out of my iDevice into an AQ Jitterbug and Mojo or Dragonfly Red or Dragonfly Black.

Mojo sounds best with all phones. Red works well with Vega and TG334 and Sines. Black works best with Truths sacrificing clarity and smoothness for more dynamic punch which the Truths lack when compared with the Vegas.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #3,544 of 5,394
I have owned the Vegas for more than 2 months now. They are the clearest, crispest and most dynamic phones I have. I also own the Dita Truths, Fitear Parterres, Sony EX 1000s, IE800, Audeze Sine and Grady PS500.
The Vegas were the ones I’d listen to when I wanted to be impressed by my music collection (Tidal).
Then I walked into Jaben in Singapore last week just to buy ear tips and grumbled that they never have a ready TG334 for me to buy. I could not order one from them as I am currently based in Shanghai. They had a limited edition Chinese New Year red version in stock. So I bought it.
I first encountered the TG334 when it first came out and loved it. Could not afford it at the time and managed the Parterres as the closest to what I was looking for.Eventually, I gave up on the Parterres as I found I prefer the sound of dynamic drivers. There is a greater immediacy to them.
When I got the Vegas, they trumped every phone I owned. They are more immediate, clear and detailed. But I kept going back to my Dita Truths as I feel that the Truths have a more “analog” like quality to them even as the bass does not extend as low and the mids sound a little recessed by comparison. But the mids on the Truths had a more “silky” quality to them. On the Vegas the mids, voices, are more clear and clinical.
Now, also because they are new, I am listening to my TG334 mostly. It is like the singer is in front of you. The mids remind me of my audition of the LCD4. The kind that with the right song, moves you emotionally. And that is my current view of my two favorite phones. The Vegas are when I want to “see” my music in all its crystal clarity (with a bass boost that is well judged and also very clear). The TG334 is when I want my music to move me emotionally (especially with female vocals).

Wanted to set out the contrast as I thought some may find it interesting. And I notice the TG334 does not get very much attention anymore. Given the current state of equipment in the market, if my Vegas or TG334s fail, I will replace them. I cannot say the same for my other phones.

(Tried to insert a photo of my TG334 and Vegas but could not)

I listen out of my iDevice into an AQ Jitterbug and Mojo or Dragonfly Red or Dragonfly Black.

Mojo sounds best with all phones. Red works well with Vega and TG334 and Sines. Black works best with Truths sacrificing clarity and smoothness for more dynamic punch which the Truths lack when compared with the Vegas.

Can you compare IE800 and Vega? I sold my IE800 because I thought it lacked some emotion, was a bit too analytical. Is Vega similar? I prioritise musicality.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #3,546 of 5,394
It has been about 1month but I think there was a delay for canjam

Mine should arrive by the end of next week now (just had confirmation) - there was a few week delay due to the silicone manufacturing experts attending Canjam and then taking some holiday time afterwards. Can't wait to try them on the Vega and Andromeda!

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #3,547 of 5,394
Just now testing out my brand new Vega with Alo ref 8 cable from CanJam. Tidal via iPhone and Mojo. Wowww so good. What can I expect after break-in and how much of it would you say they need? The treble is a tad shrill right now and vocals have some grain, but from past experience with my old SE846s, that usually mellows out with time..I hope. Listening to them fresh out the box on a Hugo 2(which I also bought via pre-order from TSAV)yesterday was pure smooth goodness though so I'm a bit confused. Any help?

Hey Kyle, I think we may have met at CanJam late Sat. @ the Chord booth.  I was the blond guy sitting down playing with the Hugo 2 and had a pair of Vegas in a small black etymotic pouch.

What tips are you using?  They make a big difference - ultimately I settled on the foamies like most folks in this thread.  My initial take using silicone tips was some stridency in the upper range, the foamies ameliorate that significanctly, esp. w/ the Mojo it's super smooth.  To me the difference between the Mojo and the Chord was a bit of extra clarity and tightening of the bass... leaner and more focused.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #3,548 of 5,394

Hi Fuhransahis,

Same here, I preferred the Campfire foams over Comply, to buy them here in the UK we have to pay the import duty, so I looked at another option at Head-Room London recently, which are custom
made tips made by scanning the inside of your ear, like CIEM's but smaller. They are made by a company called Snugs in the UK, link below. Head-Room London was a week and a half ago and I haven't taken delivery yet, but had a good chat with the guy on the stand about how they may alter the sonic signature of my Lyra II's, he said there would be a difference, but if you handle either the Campfire or the Comply tips the core is quite soft, especially the Campfire foams, so there is a certain amount or collapsing going on every time you insert the IEM into your ear, and the foam forms a different shape depending on how deep you insert the IEM into your ear. The Snugs get over this by bing a constant shape every time you insert them. As soon as they arrive, I'll report back as to how they change my Lyra II's if this is of interest. Hope this helps.

https://snugsearphones.co.uk

Now have my Snug's custom tips for my Lyra II's, I have been playing and listening to these all day, at times swapping them out for foam tips, just to remind me what I'm used to.  The improvement over foam tips is huge. Bigger soundstage wider and more immersive, some of this is down to the better fit, isolation & deeper insertion. Treble is not diminished by the different tips, rounded, but not bight & no sibilance.

The sound is closer, more "in your head", listing to Daft Punk's Instant Crush, there are echo and reverb effects that I've not heard before with in ears only with vinyl & LS50's.

St Paul & The Broken Bones, "I'll be your woman", the bass in the intro is heaps better than the foam tips, Janeway's voice is further forward than I've ever heard it before, there appears
to be great depth between him and the rest of the band, his powerful voice is all under control.

The fit makes a huge difference, when they arrive the instructions say that the Snug's logo should be at the bottom when they are on the Lyra II's, they supply some cream, It pays to put a smear on before you insert them for the first time. You have to play around with the fit, but once you've inserted them into your ear's a few times, it becomes easy.

The isolation is way better than the foam tips, the ear phones insert deeper into your ears than with the foam tips, which in turn leads to the sound appearing to be more "inside your head" - best way I can describe it. If you don't insert them properly it's obvious. Comfort level is way, way better than foam tips that feel like they are trying to prise your ear canal open, and even better no more need to change them again.

I've turned my Campfire Audio Lyra II's into as close to CIEM's as possible & love the result. Would be interested to hear what these tips sound like with Vega's

Setup.

5iMac playing FLAC files, though a IFI Micro iUSB3.0 to Chord Mojo to Lyra II's with the Litz cable that came with them.

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #3,549 of 5,394

Now have my Snug's custom tips for my Lyra II's, I have been playing and listening to these all day, at times swapping them out for foam tips, just to remind me what I'm used to.  The improvement over foam tips is huge. Bigger soundstage wider and more immersive, some of this is down to the better fit, isolation & deeper insertion. Treble is not diminished by the different tips, rounded, but not bight & no sibilance.

The sound is closer, more "in your head", listing to Daft Punk's Instant Crush, there are echo and reverb effects that I've not heard before with in ears only with vinyl & LS50's.

St Paul & The Broken Bones, "I'll be your woman", the bass in the intro is heaps better than the foam tips, Janeway's voice is further forward than I've ever heard it before, there appears
to be great depth between him and the rest of the band, his powerful voice is all under control.

The fit makes a huge difference, when they arrive the instructions say that the Snug's logo should be at the bottom when they are on the Lyra II's, they supply some cream, It pays to put a smear on before you insert them for the first time. You have to play around with the fit, but once you've inserted them into your ear's a few times, it becomes easy.

The isolation is way better than the foam tips, the ear phones insert deeper into your ears than with the foam tips, which in turn leads to the sound appearing to be more "inside your head" - best way I can describe it. If you don't insert them properly it's obvious. Comfort level is way, way better than foam tips that feel like they are trying to prise your ear canal open, and even better no more need to change them again.

I've turned my Campfire Audio Lyra II's into as close to CIEM's as possible & love the result. Would be interested to hear what these tips sound like with Vega's

Setup.

5iMac playing FLAC files, though a IFI Micro iUSB3.0 to Chord Mojo to Lyra II's with the Litz cable that came with them.

Thanks for the detailed impressions! Sounds like the improvements are great overall, with no cons in sight. Think I might get them 
biggrin.gif

Any chance you might be able to post some pictures?

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #3,551 of 5,394

Hi fuhransahis,

Here's a pic, haven't found any cons. Will let you know if I do.

Nice! I was imagining they'd be like the half-shell-type custom tips I've seen others have, but this definitely looks like a more elegant solution. I assume the clear plastic/silicone string is so the tip doesn't get stuck inside when you take them out?

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #3,552 of 5,394
  Nice! I was imagining they'd be like the half-shell-type custom tips I've seen others have, but this definitely looks like a more elegant solution. I assume the clear plastic/silicone string is so the tip doesn't get stuck inside when you take them out?

Yes that's right about the string, mine are made in metallic black, but there's a good choice of colours. The most important thing I feel is they need to be inserted all the way, if you put them in loosely it changes the sound remarkably, 

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #3,553 of 5,394

Yes that's right about the string, mine are made in metallic black, but there's a good choice of colours. The most important thing I feel is they need to be inserted all the way, if you put them in loosely it changes the sound remarkably, 

Customs usually require full insertion in order to fit comfortably, but you're saying that these can be partially inserted, and still feel comfortable. When inserted all the way are they comfortable? As you probably have already experienced, tips make a huge difference in the quality of the sound. Do the customs sound closest to the foam tip supplied by CA?

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #3,554 of 5,394
Customs usually require full insertion in order to fit comfortably, but you're saying that these can be partially inserted, and still feel comfortable. When inserted all the way are they comfortable? As you probably have already experienced, tips make a huge difference in the quality of the sound. Do the customs sound closest to the foam tip supplied by CA?

Hi DWbirdseye,

What I'm saying is they must be full inserted to get the best sound and achieve a good seal. They sound better than the foam tips by a long way, as I said in my first post today.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #3,555 of 5,394

Hi DWbirdseye,

What I'm saying is they must be full inserted to get the best sound and achieve a good seal. They sound better than the foam tips by a long way, as I said in my first post today.

Ok got it, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back